- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 908610, 7 pages
In-Patient Treatment of Fibromyalgia: A Controlled Nonrandomized Comparison of Conventional Medicine versus Integrative Medicine including Fasting Therapy
1Charité-University Medical Center, Institute of Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics, 10098 Berlin, Germany
2Department of Internal and Complementary Medicine, Immanuel Hospital Berlin, 14109 Berlin, Germany
3Karl und Veronica Carstens-Foundation, 45276 Essen, Germany
Received 31 August 2012; Revised 17 December 2012; Accepted 17 December 2012
Academic Editor: Thomas Ostermann
Copyright © 2013 Andreas Michalsen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Häuser, W. Eich, M. Herrmann, D. O. Nutzinger, M. Schiltenwolf, and P. Henningsen, “The Fibromyalgia syndrome: classification, diagnosis, and treatment,” Deutsches Arzteblatt, vol. 106, no. 23, pp. 383–391, 2009.
- F. Wolfe, K. Ross, J. Anderson, I. J. Russell, and L. Hebert, “The prevalence and characteristics of fibromyalgia in the general population,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 19–28, 1995.
- J. C. Branco, B. Bannwarth, I. Failde et al., “Prevalence of fibromyalgia: a survey in five European countries,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 448–453, 2010.
- W. Häuser, K. Thieme, and D. C. Turk, “Guidelines on the management of fibromyalgia syndrome—a systematic review,” European Journal of Pain, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 5–10, 2010.
- R. H. Gracely and K. R. Ambrose, “Neuroimaging of fibromyalgia,” Best Practice & Research. Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 25, pp. 271–284, 2011.
- K. B. Jensen, E. Kosek, F. Petzke et al., “Evidence of dysfunctional pain inhibition in Fibromyalgia reflected in rACC during provoked pain,” Pain, vol. 144, no. 1-2, pp. 95–100, 2009.
- I. J. Russell and A. A. Larson, “Neurophysiopathogenesis of fibromyalgia syndrome: a unified hypothesis,” Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 421–435, 2009.
- J. A. Desmeules, C. Cedraschi, E. Rapiti et al., “Neurophysiologic evidence for a central sensitization in patients with fibromyalgia,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 1420–1429, 2003.
- W. Häuser, G. Schmutzer, E. Brähler, and H. Glaesmer, “A cluster within the continuum of biopsychosocial distress can be labeled “fibromyalgia syndrome”—evidence from a representative German population survey,” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 2806–2812, 2009.
- S. F. Carville, S. Arendt-Nielsen, H. Bliddal et al., “EULAR evidence-based recommendations for the management of fibromyalgia syndrome,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 536–541, 2008.
- J. Langhorst, W. Hauser, K. Bernardy, H. Lucius, M. Settan, A. Winkelmann, et al., “Complementary and alternative therapies for fibromyalgia syndrome: systematic review, meta-analysis and guideline,” Schmerz, vol. 26, pp. 311–317, 2012.
- A. Michalsen, B. Hoffmann, S. Moebus, M. Bäcker, J. Langhorst, and G. J. Dobos, “Incorporation of fasting therapy in an integrative medicine ward: evaluation of outcome, safety, and effects on lifestyle adherence in a large prospective cohort study,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 601–607, 2005.
- A. Michalsen, M. Riegert, R. Lüdtke et al., “Mediterranean diet of extented fasting's influence on changing the intestinal microflora, immunoglobulin A secretion and clinical outcome in patients with rheumatiod arthritis and fibromyalgia: an observational study,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 5, article 22, 2005.
- J. Kjeldsen-Kragh, M. Haugen, C. F. Borchgrevink et al., “Controlled trial of fasting and one-year vegetarian diet in rheumatoid arthritis,” The Lancet, vol. 338, no. 8772, pp. 899–902, 1991.
- H. Müller, F. Wilhelmi de Toledo, and K. L. Resch, “A systematic review of clinical studies on fasting and vegetarian diets in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis,” Scandinavian The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 30, pp. 1–10, 2000.
- A. M. Johnstone, “Fasting—the ultimate diet?” Obesity Reviews, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 211–222, 2007.
- A. Michalsen, “Prolonged fasting as a method of mood enhancement in chronic pain syndromes: a review of clinical evidence and mechanisms,” Current Pain and Headache Reports, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 80–87, 2010.
- P. E. Molina, Y. Hashiguchi, W. J. H. J. Meijerink, R. J. Naukam, R. Boxer, and N. N. Abumrad, “Modulation of endogenous opiate production: effect of fasting,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 207, no. 1, pp. 312–317, 1995.
- M. T. Nenonen, “Rheumatoid arthritis, fasting, diet and bacteria: myths and enthusiasm: editorial,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 269–270, 1998.
- M. Haugen, J. Kjeldsen-Kragh, B. Y. Nordvag, and O. Forre, “Diet and disease symptoms in rheumatic diseases. Results of a questionnaire based survey,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 401–407, 1991.
- J. Kjeldsen-Kragh, M. Haugen, and O. Fforre, “Diet therapy in rheumatoid arthritis,” The Lancet, vol. 339, no. 8787, article 250, 1992.
- A. Michalsen, S. Schneider, A. Rodenbeck, R. Lüdtke, G. Huether, and G. J. Dobos, “The short-term effects of fasting on the neuroendocrine system in patients with chronic pain syndromes,” Nutritional Neuroscience, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 2003.
- A. Buchinger, “Fasting,” in Nowey DW: Clinician's Complete Reference to Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Mosby, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 2000.
- F. Wilhelmi de Toledo, A. Buchinger, H. Burggrabe, M. Gaisbauer, G. Hölz, W. Kronsteiner, et al., “Guidelines of fasting therapy,” Forschende Komplementärmedizin, pp. 189–199, 2002.
- O. Buchinger, Das Heilfasten Und Seine Hilfsmethoden, Hippokrates, Stuttgart, Germany, 1932.
- H. Fahrner, Fasten Als Therapie, Hippokrates, Stuttgart, Germany, 1991.
- C. S. Burckhardt, S. R. Clark, and R. M. Bennett, “The fibromyalgia impact questionnaire: development and validation,” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 728–733, 1991.
- M. Offenbaecher, M. Waltz, and P. Schoeps, “Validation of a german version of the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ-G),” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1984–1988, 2000.
- C. Spielberger, State-Trait Anger, Resarch Edition, Professional Manual, Psychological Assessment Resources, Odessa, Ukraine, 1986.
- D. Von Zerssen and D. Koeller, Die Befindlichkeits-Skala (the Well-Being Questionnaire), Beltz-Test Gesellschaft, Weinheim, Germany, 1976.
- J. Barth and C. R. Martin, “Factor structure of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS) in German coronary heart disease patients,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 3, article 15, 2005.
- R. P. Snaith, “The hospital anxiety and depression scale,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 1, article 29, 2003.
- B. Nagel, H. U. Gerbershagen, G. Lindena, and M. Pfingsten, “Development and evaluation of the multidimensional German pain questionnaire,” Schmerz, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 263–270, 2002.
- M. Lange and F. Petermann, “Influence of depression on fibromyalgia. A systematic review,” Schmerz, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 326–333, 2010.
- A. Michalsen, M. K. Kuhlmann, R. Lüdtke, M. Bäcker, J. Langhorst, and G. J. Dobos, “Prolonged fasting in patients with chronic pain syndromes leads to late mood-enhancement not related to weight loss and fasting-induced leptin depletion,” Nutritional Neuroscience, vol. 9, no. 5-6, pp. 195–200, 2006.
- L. B. Rasmussen, K. Mikkelsen, M. Haugen, A. H. Pripp, and O. T. Førre, “Treatment of fibromyalgia at the Maharishi Ayurveda Health Centre in Norway. A six-month follow-up study,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. S46–S50, 2009.