- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 947037, 10 pages
Essential Oil of Pinus koraiensis Exerts Antiobesic and Hypolipidemic Activity via Inhibition of Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptors Gamma Signaling
1College of Oriental Medicine, Kyung Hee University, 1 Hoegi-dong, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul 130-701, Republic of Korea
2Medical Genomics Research Center, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Daejeon 305-811, Republic of Korea
3College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Kyung Hee University, Seoul 130-701, Republic of Korea
Received 16 April 2013; Accepted 8 July 2013
Academic Editor: Jae Youl Cho
Copyright © 2013 Hyun-Suk Ko et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. W. Haslam and W. P. T. James, “Obesity,” The Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9492, pp. 1197–1209, 2005.
- D. P. Schuster, “Obesity and the development of type 2 diabetes: the effects of fatty tissue inflammation,” Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity, vol. 3, pp. 253–262, 2010.
- J. M. Friedman, “Obesity in the new millennium,” Nature, vol. 404, no. 6778, pp. 632–634, 2000.
- J. S. Flier, “Obesity wars: molecular progress confronts an expanding epidemic,” Cell, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 337–350, 2004.
- F. M. Gregoire, C. M. Smas, and H. S. Sul, “Understanding adipocyte differentiation,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 783–809, 1998.
- W.-C. Yeh, Z. Cao, M. Classon, and S. L. McKnight, “Cascade regulation of terminal adipocyte differentiation by three members of the C/EBP family of leucine zipper proteins,” Genes and Development, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 168–181, 1995.
- G. J. Darlington, S. E. Ross, and O. A. MacDougald, “The role of C/EBP genes in adipocyte differentiation,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 273, no. 46, pp. 30057–30060, 1998.
- M. I. Lefterova and M. A. Lazar, “New developments in adipogenesis,” Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 107–114, 2009.
- J.-H. Kim, H.-J. Lee, S.-J. Jeong, M.-H. Lee, and S.-H. Kim, “Essential oil of pinus koraiensis leaves exerts antihyperlipidemic effects via up-regulation of low-density lipoprotein receptor and inhibition of acyl-coenzyme a: cholesterol acyltransferase,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 1314–1319, 2012.
- X. Chen, Y. Zhang, Z. Wang, and Y. Zu, “Invivo antioxidant activity of Pinus koraiensis nut oil obtained by optimised supercritical carbon dioxide extraction,” Natural Product Research, vol. 25, no. 19, pp. 1807–1816, 2011.
- W. J. Pasman, J. Heimerikx, C. M. Rubingh et al., “The effect of Korean pine nut oil on in vitro CCK release, on appetite sensations and on gut hormones in post-menopausal overweight women,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 7, article 10, 2008.
- G. J. A. Speijers, L. H. T. Dederen, and H. Keizer, “A sub-chronic (13 weeks) oral toxicity study in rats and an in vitro genotoxicity study with Korean pine nut oil (PinnoThin TG),” Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 158–165, 2009.
- M. Sugano, I. Ikeda, K. Wakamatsu, and T. Oka, “Influence of Korean pine (Pinus koraiensis)-seed oil containing cis-5,cis-9,cis-12-octadecatrienoic acid on polyunsaturated fatty acid metabolism, eicosanoid production and blood pressure of rats,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 775–783, 1994.
- U. H. Park, J. C. Jeong, J. S. Jang et al., “Negative regulation of adipogenesis by kaempferol, a component of Rhizoma Polygonati falcatum in 3T3-L1 cells,” Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 1525–1533, 2012.
- H. Kim and S. Y. Choung, “Anti-obesity effects of Boussingaulti gracilis Miers var. pseudobaselloides Bailey via activation of AMP-activated protein kinase in 3T3-L1 cells,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 811–817, 2012.
- Y. Oi, I.-C. Hou, H. Fujita, and K. Yazawa, “Antiobesity effects of Chinese black tea (Pu-erh tea) extract and gallic acid,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 475–481, 2012.
- E.-J. Hong, K.-J. Na, I.-G. Choi, K.-C. Choi, and E.-B. Jeung, “Antibacterial and antifungal effects of essential oils from coniferous trees,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 863–866, 2004.
- Q. R. Rogers and A. E. Harper, “Amino acid diets and maximal growth in the rat,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 267–273, 1965.
- W. Richmond, “Use of cholesterol oxidase for assay of total and free cholesterol in serum by continuous flow analysis,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1579–1588, 1976.
- M. W. McGowan, J. D. Artiss, D. R. Strandbergh, and B. Zak, “A peroxidase-coupled method for the colorimetric determination of serum triglycerides,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 538–542, 1983.
- D. S. Choi, M. Kayama, H. O. Jin, C. H. Lee, T. Izuta, and T. Koike, “Growth and photosynthetic responses of two pine species (Pinus koraiensis and Pinus rigida) in a polluted industrial region in Korea,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 139, no. 3, pp. 421–432, 2006.
- J.-W. Lee, K.-W. Lee, S.-W. Lee, I.-H. Kim, and C. Rhee, “Selective increase in pinolenic acid (all-cis-5,9,12–18:3) in Korean pine nut oil by crystallization and its effect on LDL-receptor activity,” Lipids, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 383–387, 2004.
- T. C. Otto and M. D. Lane, “Adipose development: from stem cell to adipocyte,” Critical Reviews in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 229–242, 2005.
- A. G. Cristancho and M. A. Lazar, “Forming functional fat: a growing understanding of adipocyte differentiation,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 722–734, 2011.
- H. Green and O. Kehinde, “An established preadipose cell line and its differentiation in culture. II. Factors affecting the adipose conversion,” Cell, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 19–27, 1975.
- J. Rieusset, F. Touri, L. Michalik et al., “A new selective peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ antagonist with antiobesity and antidiabetic activity,” Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 2628–2644, 2002.
- M. Rosenbaum, R. L. Leibel, and J. Hirsch, “Obesity,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 337, no. 6, pp. 396–407, 1997.
- S. C. Woods, R. J. Seeley, D. Porte Jr., and M. W. Schwartz, “Signals that regulate food intake and energy homeostasis,” Science, vol. 280, no. 5368, pp. 1378–1383, 1998.