- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 983923, 8 pages
Oat Attenuation of Hyperglycemia-Induced Retinal Oxidative Stress and NF-B Activation in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, King Abdulaziz University, P.O. Box 80203, Jeddah 21589, Saudi Arabia
Received 8 October 2012; Accepted 3 December 2012
Academic Editor: Menaka C. Thounaojam
Copyright © 2013 Abdulrahman L. Al-Malki. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Sharma, A. Oliver-Fernandez, W. Liu, P. Buchholz, and J. Walt, “The impact of diabetic retinopathy on health-related quality of life,” Current Opinion in Ophthalmology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 155–159, 2005.
- R. N. Frank, “Diabetic retinopathy,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 1, pp. 48–58, 2004.
- D. Mahmood, B. K. Singh, and M. Akhtar, “Diabetic neuropathy: therapies on the horizon,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 1137–1145, 2009.
- W. G. Robison Jr., P. F. Kador, and J. H. Kinoshita, “Early retinal microangiopathy: prevention with aldose reductase inhibitors,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 196–199, 1985.
- N. S. Harhaj and D. A. Antonetti, “Regulation of tight junctions and loss of barrier function in pathophysiology,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1206–1237, 2004.
- J. J. Bhaskar, M. S. Shobha, K. Sambaiah, and P. V. Salimath, “Beneficial effects of banana (Musa sp. var. elakki bale) flower and pseudostem on hyperglycemia and advanced glycation end-products (AGEs) in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 415–425, 2011.
- R. N. Frank, “On the pathogenesis of diabetic retinopathy: a 1990 update,” Ophthalmology, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 586–593, 1991.
- T. S. Kern, J. Tang, M. Mizutani et al., “Response of capillary cell death to aminoguanidine predicts the development of retinopathy: comparison of diabetes and galactosemia,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 3972–3978, 2000.
- A. M. Joussen, V. Poulaki, M. L. Le, et al., “A central role for inflammation in the pathogenesis of diabetic retinopathy,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1450–1452, 2004.
- T. Nakagawa, T. Yokozawa, K. Terasawa, and K. Nakanishi, “Therapeutic usefulness of Keishi-bukuryo-gan for diabetic nephropathy,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 219–227, 2003.
- H. P. Hammes, M. Brownlee, J. Lin, E. Schleicher, and R. G. Bretzel, “Diabetic retinopathy risk correlates with intracellular concentrations of the glycoxidation product N(ε)-(carboxymethyl) lysine independently of glycohaemoglobin concentrations,” Diabetologia, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 603–607, 1999.
- W. G. Robison Jr., M. Nagata, T. N. Tillis, N. Laver, and J. H. Kinoshita, “Aldose reductase and pericyte-endothelial cell contacts in retina and optic nerve,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 2293–2299, 1989.
- A. Troudi, I. Ben Amara, N. Soudani, A. M. Samet, and N. Zeghal, “Oxidative stress induced by gibberellic acid on kidney tissue of female rats and their progeny: biochemical and histopathological studies,” Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 307–316, 2011.
- T. Murata, R. Nagai, T. Ishibashi, H. Inomata, K. Ikeda, and S. Horiuchi, “The relationship between accumulation of advanced glycation end products and expression of vascular endothelial growth factor in human diabetic retinas,” Diabetologia, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 764–769, 1997.
- H. P. Hammes, B. Wellensiek, I. Klöting, E. Sickel, R. G. Bretzel, and M. Brownlee, “The relationship of glycaemic level to advanced glycation end-product (AGE) accumulation and retinal pathology in the spontaneous diabetic hamster,” Diabetologia, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 165–170, 1998.
- A. A. R. Sayed, “Thymoquinone and proanthocyanidin attenuation of diabetic nephropathy in rats,” Europian Reviews for Medical and Pharmacological Science, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 808–815, 2012.
- M. Aziz, T. Motawi, A. Rezq, et al., “Effects of a water-soluble curcumin protein conjugate versus pure curcumin in a diabetic model of erectile dysfunction,” Journal of Sexual Medicine, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1815–1833, 2012.
- M. Brownlee, “Biochemistry and molecular cell biology of diabetic complications,” Nature, vol. 414, no. 6865, pp. 813–820, 2001.
- P. Würsch and F. X. Pi-Sunyer, “The role of viscous soluble fiber in the metabolic control of diabetes: a review with special emphasis on cereals rich in β-glucan,” Diabetes Care, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1774–1780, 1997.
- V. Vuksan, J. L. Sievenpiper, Z. Xu et al., “Konjac-mannan and American ginseng: emerging alternative therapies for type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 370S–380S, 2001.
- D. J. A. Jenkins, T. M. S. Wolever, and A. R. Leeds, “Dietary fibres, fibre analogues, and glucose tolerance: importance of viscosity,” British Medical Journal, vol. 1, no. 6124, pp. 1392–1394, 1978.
- J. Hallfrisch and K. M. Behall, “Mechanisms of the effects of grains on insulin and glucose responses,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 19, supplement 3, pp. S320–S325, 2000.
- P. J. Wood, J. T. Braaten, F. W. Scott, K. D. Riedel, M. S. Wolynetz, and M. W. Collins, “Effect of dose and modification of viscous properties of oat gum on plasma glucose and insulin following an oral glucose load,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 731–743, 1994.
- N. Tapola, H. Karvonen, L. Niskanen, M. Mikola, and E. Sarkkinen, “Glycemic responses of oat bran products in type 2 diabetic patients,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 255–261, 2005.
- S. Panahi, A. Ezatagha, F. Temelli, T. Vasanthan, and V. Vuksan, “β-glucan from two sources of oat concentrates affect postprandial glycemia in relation to the level of viscosity,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 639–644, 2007.
- S. S. Moselhy, A. L. Al-Malki, T. A. Kumosani, and J.A. Jalal, “Modulatory effect of cod liver oil on bone mineralization in overiectomized female Sprague Dawley rats,” Toxicology and Industrial Health, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 387–392, 2012.
- A. A. R. Sayed, “Thymoquinone protects renal tubular cells against tubular injury,” Cell Biochemistry and Function, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 374–380, 2008.
- M. S. Moron, J. W. Depierre, and B. Mannervik, “Levels of glutathione, glutathione reductase and glutathione S-transferase activities in rat lung and liver,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 582, no. 1, pp. 67–78, 1979.
- R. A. Mekheimer, A. A. R. Sayed, and E. Ahmed, “Novel 1, 2, 4-triazolo[1, 5-a]pyridines and their fused ring systems attenuate oxidative stress and prolong lifespan of Caenorhabiditis elegans,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 4169–4177, 2012.
- H. Ohkawa, N. Ohishi, and K. Yagi, “Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 351–358, 1979.
- A. A. R. Sayed, “Ferulsinaic acid attenuation of advanced glycation end products extends the lifespan of Caenorhabditis elegans,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 423–428, 2011.
- A. A. R. Sayed, M. Khalifa, and F. F. Abdelatif, “Fenugreek attenuation of diabetic nephropathy in alloxan-diabetic rats,” Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 263–269, 2012.
- M. Nishikimi, N. A. Rao, and K. Yagi, “The occurrence of superoxide anion in the reaction of reduced phenazine methosulfate and molecular oxygen,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 849–854, 1972.
- A. A. R. Sayed, K. El-Shaieb, and A. Mourad, “Life Span Extension of Caenorhabditis elegans by Novel pyrido perimidine drevative,” Archivs of Pharmacal Research, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 69–76, 2012.
- A. Schlotterer, G. Kukudov, F. Bozorgmehr et al., “C. elegans as model for the study of high glucose-mediated life span reduction,” Diabetes, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 2450–2456, 2009.
- M. Morcos, A. Schlotterer, A. A. R. Sayed et al., “Rosiglitazone reduces angiotensin II and advanced glycation end product-dependent sustained nuclear factor-kappaB activation in cultured human proximal tubular epithelial cells,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 752–759, 2008.
- A. de Laurentiis, J. Fernandez-Solari, C. Mohn, B. Burdet, M. A. Zorrilla Zubilete, and V. Rettori, “The hypothalamic endocannabinoid system participates in the secretion of oxytocin and tumor necrosis factor-alpha induced by lipopolysaccharide,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 221, no. 1-2, pp. 32–41, 2010.
- A. A. R. Sayed and M. Morcos, “Thymoquinone decreases AGE-induced NF-κB activation in proximal tubular epithelial cells,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 898–899, 2007.
- M. Morcos, A. A. R. Sayed, A. Bierhaus et al., “Activation of tubular epithelial cells in diabetic nephropathy,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 3532–3544, 2002.
- R. A. Feit-Leichman, R. Kinouchi, M. Takeda et al., “Vascular damage in a mouse model of diabetic retinopathy: relation to neuronal and glial changes,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 4281–4287, 2005.
- E. M. Salido, N. de Zavalía, L. Schreier, A. de Laurentiis, et al., “Retinal changes in an experimental model of early type 2 diabetes in rats characterized by non-fasting hyperglycemia,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 236, pp. 151–160, 2012.
- X. Du, T. Matsumura, D. Edelstein et al., “Inhibition of GAPDH activity by poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase activates three major pathways of hyperglycemic damage in endothelial cells,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 112, no. 7, pp. 1049–1057, 2003.
- D. Stern, S. D. Yan, S. F. Yan, and A. M. Schmidt, “Receptor for advanced glycation endproducts: a multiligand receptor magnifying cell stress in diverse pathologic settings,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 54, no. 12, pp. 1615–1625, 2002.
- H. P. Hammes, A. Alt, T. Niwa et al., “Differential accumulation of advanced glycation end products in the course of diabetic retinopathy,” Diabetologia, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 728–736, 1999.
- P. Quehenberger, A. Bierhaus, P. Fasching, et al., “Endothelin 1 transcription is controlled by nuclear factor-kappa B in AGE-stimulated cultured endothelial cells,” Diabetes, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 1561–1570, 2000.
- M. Siervo, V. Tomatis, B. C. M. Stephan, M. Feelisch, and L. J. C. Bluck, “VEGF is indirectly associated with NO production and acutely increases in response to hyperglycaemia,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 967–973, 2012.
- M. T. Malecki, G. Osmenda, M. Walus-Miarka et al., “Retinopathy in type 2 diabetes mellitus is associated with increased intima-media thickness and endothelial dysfunction,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 925–930, 2008.
- Y. Cao and R. Cao, “Angiogenesis inhibited by drinking tea,” Nature, vol. 398, no. 6726, p. 381, 1999.
- S. K. Rodriguez, W. Guo, L. Liu, M. A. Band, E. K. Paulson, and M. Meydani, “Green tea catechin, epigallocatechin-3-gallate, inhibits vascular endothelial growth factor angiogenic signaling by disrupting the formation of a receptor complex,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 118, no. 7, pp. 1635–1644, 2006.
- H. S. Chen, T. E. Wu, and L. C. Hsiaoand S.H. Lin, “Interaction between glycaemic control and serum insulin-like growth factor 1 on the risk of retinopathy in type 2 diabetes,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 447–454, 2012.
- A. M. Joussen, V. Poulaki, N. Mitsiades et al., “Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs prevent early diabetic retinopathy via TNF-alpha suppression,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 438–440, 2002.
- M. Lechleitner, T. Koch, M. Herold, A. Dzien, and F. Hoppichler, “Tumour necrosis factor-alpha plasma level in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus and its association with glycaemic control and cardiovascular risk factors,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 248, no. 1, pp. 67–76, 2000.
- A. A. Ahmed, M. E. F. Hegazy, A. Zellagui et al., “Ferulsinaic acid, a sesquiterpene coumarin with a rare carbon skeleton from Ferula species,” Phytochemistry, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 680–686, 2007.
- A. L. Al-Malki and S. S. Moselhy, “The protective effect of epicatchin against oxidative stress and nephrotoxicity in rats induced by cyclosporine,” Human and Experimental Toxicology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 145–151, 2011.
- A. A. R. Sayed, “Ferulsinaic acid attenuation of diabetic nephropathy,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 56–63, 2013.
- A. A. R. Sayed, “Ferulsinaic AcidModulates SOD, GSH and Antioxidant Enzymes in diabetic kidney,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 580104, 2012.
- T. Motawi, M. T. Abdel Aziz, A. Rezq, et al., “Effects of a water-soluble curcumin protein conjugate versus pure curcumin in a diabetic model of erectile dysfunction,” The Journal of Sexual Medicine, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1815–1833, 2012.
- M. T. Abdel Aziz, M. F. El-Asmar, I. N. El-Ibrashy, et al., “Effect of novel water soluble curcumin derivative on experimental type-1 diabetes mellitus (short term study),” Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome, vol. 4, no. 1, p. 30, 2012.