- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 984121, 11 pages
The Chinese Herbal Medicine Formula Sheng-Fei-Yu-Chuan-Tang Suppresses Th2 Responses and Increases IFNγ in Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus Induced Chronic Asthmatic Mice
1Graduate Institute of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
2Graduate Insitute of Medical Science, College of Health Science, Chang Jung Christian University, Tainan 71101, Taiwan
3School of Chinese Medicine, College of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
4Institute of Medical Science, Tzu Chi University, Hualien 97004, Taiwan
5School of Post-Baccalaureate Chinese Medicine, College of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
6Department of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
7School of Chinese Medicine, College of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
Received 31 October 2012; Accepted 18 February 2013
Academic Editor: Taixiang Wu
Copyright © 2013 Chia-Hung Lin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Hammad and B. N. Lambrecht, “Dendritic cells and airway epithelial cells at the interface between innate and adaptive immune responses,” Allergy, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 579–587, 2011.
- Q. Hamid and M. Tulic, “Immunobiology of asthma,” Annual Review of Physiology, vol. 71, pp. 489–507, 2009.
- C. M. Lloyd and E. M. Hessel, “Functions of T cells in asthma: more than just TH2 cells,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 838–848, 2010.
- S. J. Levine and S. E. Wenzel, “Narrative review: the role of Th2 immune pathway modulation in the treatment of severe asthma and its phenotypes,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 152, no. 4, pp. 232–237, 2010.
- C. H. Fanta, “Drug therapy: Asthma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 360, no. 10, pp. 1002–1014, 2009.
- G. Migliorati, I. Nicoletti, G. Nocentini, M. C. Pagliacci, and C. Riccardi, “Dexamethasone and interleukins modulate apoptosis of murine thymocytes and peripheral T-lymphocytes,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 43–52, 1994.
- Z. Diamant, J. Diderik Boot, and J. Christian Virchow, “Summing up 100 years of asthma,” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 378–388, 2007.
- C. Steurer-Stey, E. W. Russi, and J. Steurer, “Complementary and alternative medicine in asthma—do they work? A summary and appraisal of published evidence,” Swiss Medical Weekly, vol. 132, no. 25-26, pp. 338–344, 2002.
- X. M. Li and L. Brown, “Efficacy and mechanisms of action of traditional Chinese medicines for treating asthma and allergy,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 297–306, 2009.
- Y. Y. Kung, Y. C. Chen, S. J. Hwang, T. J. Chen, and F. P. Chen, “The prescriptions frequencies and patterns of Chinese herbal medicine for allergic rhinitis in Taiwan,” Allergy, vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 1316–1318, 2006.
- S. T. Kao, S. T. Wang, C. K. Yu, H. Y. Lei, and J. Y. Wang, “The effect of Chinese herbal medicine, xiao-qing-long tang (XQLT), on allergen-induced bronchial inflammation in mite-sensitized mice,” Allergy, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 1127–1133, 2000.
- L. J. Lin, C. C. Lin, S. D. Wang, Y. P. Chao, and S. T. Kao, “The immunomodulatory effect of You-Gui-Wan on dermatogoides-pteronyssinus-induced asthma,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 476060, 12 pages, 2012.
- I. Ziment and D. P. Tashkin, “Alternative medicine for allergy and asthma,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 106, no. 4, pp. 603–614, 2000.
- W. R. Thomas, B. J. Hales, and W. A. Smith, “House dust mite allergens in asthma and allergy,” Trends in Molecular Medicine, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 321–328, 2010.
- S. Romagnani, “The role of lymphocytes in allergic disease,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 399–408, 2000.
- M. Akdis, S. Burgler, R. Crameri et al., “Interleukins, from 1 to 37, and interferon-γ: Receptors, functions, and roles in diseases,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. 701–721, 2011.
- B. Bosnjak, B. Stelzmueller, K. J. Erb, and M. M. Epstein, “Treatment of allergic asthma: modulation of Th2 cells and their responses,” Respiratory Research, vol. 12, p. 114.
- S. E. Kim, J. H. Kim, B. H. Min, et al., “Crude extracts of Caenorhabditis elegans suppress airway inflammation in a murine model of allergic asthma,” PLoS One, vol. 7, no. 4, Article ID e35447.
- X. M. Li, “Treatment of asthma and food allergy with herbal interventions from traditional chinese medicine,” Mount Sinai Journal of Medicine, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 697–716.
- C. C. Lee, J. W. Liao, and J. J. Kang, “Motorcycle exhaust particles induce airway inflammation and airway hyperresponsiveness in BALB/C mice,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 326–334, 2004.
- K. F. Rabe, W. J. Calhoun, N. Smith, and P. Jimenez, “Can anti-IgE therapy prevent airway remodeling in allergic asthma?” Allergy, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 1142–1151, 2011.
- L. Bielory and K. Lupoli, “Herbal interventions in asthma and allergy,” Journal of Asthma, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 1–65, 1999.
- E. Tagaya and J. Tamaoki, “Mechanisms of airway remodeling in asthma,” Allergology International, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 331–340, 2007.
- R. Halwani, S. Al-Muhsen, H. Al-Jahdali, and Q. Hamid, “Role of transforming growth factor-β in airway remodeling in asthma,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 127–133, 2011.
- I. Gomes, S. K. Mathur, B. M. Espenshade, Y. Mori, J. Varga, and S. J. Ackerman, “Eosinophil-fibroblast interactions induce fibroblast IL-6 secretion and extracellular matrix gene expression: implications in fibrogenesis,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 796–804, 2005.
- S. J. McMillan, G. Xanthou, and C. M. Lloyd, “Manipulation of allergen-induced airway remodeling by treatment with anti-TGF-β antibody: Effect on the Smad signaling pathway,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 174, no. 9, pp. 5774–5780, 2005.
- J. Chakir, J. Shannon, S. Molet et al., “Airway remodeling-associated mediators in moderate to severe asthma: effect of steroids on TGF-β, IL-11, IL-17, and type I and type III collagen expression,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 111, no. 6, pp. 1293–1298, 2003.
- K. Yamauchi, “Airway remodeling in asthma and its influence on clinical pathophysiology,” Tohoku Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 209, no. 2, pp. 75–87, 2006.
- G. Riccioni, C. Di Ilio, and N. D'Orazio, “Pharmacological treatment of airway remodeling: inhaled corticosteroids or antileukotrienes?” Annals of Clinical and Laboratory Science, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 138–142, 2004.
- A. M. Ghaemmaghami, L. Gough, H. F. Sewell, and F. Shakib, “The proteolytic activity of the major dust mite allergen Der p 1 conditions dendritic cells to produce less interleukin-12: allergen-induced Th2 bias determined at the dendritic cell level,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1468–1475, 2002.
- E. Raz, H. Tighe, Y. Sato et al., “Preferential induction of a Th1 immune response and inhibition of specific IgE antibody formation by plasmid DNA immunization,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 10, pp. 5141–5145, 1996.
- B. D. Medoff, S. Y. Thomas, and A. D. Luster, “T cell trafficking in allergic asthma: the ins and outs,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 26, pp. 205–232, 2008.
- J. D. Cañete, S. E. Martínez, J. Farrés et al., “Differential Th1/Th2 cytokine patterns in chronic arthritis: Interferon γ is highly expressed in synovium of rheumatoid arthritis compared with seronegative spondyloarthropathies,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 263–268, 2000.
- G. Trinchieri, “Interleukin-12 and its role in the generation or TH1 cells,” Immunology Today, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 335–338, 1993.
- M. Wills-Karp, J. Luyimbazi, X. Xu et al., “Interleukin-13: central mediator of allergic asthma,” Science, vol. 282, no. 5397, pp. 2258–2261, 1998.
- S. H. Gavett, D. J. O'Hearn, C. L. Karp et al., “Interleukin-4 receptor blockade prevents airway responses induced by antigen challenge in mice,” American Journal of Physiology - Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology, vol. 272, no. 2, pp. L253–L261, 1997.
- D. C. Webb, A. N. J. McKenzie, A. M. L. Koskinen, M. Yang, J. Mattes, and P. S. Foster, “Integrated signals between IL-13, IL-4, and IL-5 regulate airways hyperreactivity,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 165, no. 1, pp. 108–113, 2000.
- R. H. Wilson, G. S. Whitehead, H. Nakano, M. E. Free, J. K. Kolls, and D. N. Cook, “Allergic sensitization through the airway primes Th17-dependent neutrophilia and airway hyperresponsiveness,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 180, no. 8, pp. 720–730, 2009.
- M. Akdis, O. Palomares, W. van de Veen, M. van Splunter, and C. A. Akdis, “TH17 and TH22 cells: a confusion of antimicrobial response with tissue inflammation versus protection,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 129, no. 6, pp. 1438–1449.
- A. Cruz, S. A. Khader, E. Torrado et al., “Cutting edge: IFN-γ regulates the induction and expansion of IL-17-producing CD4 T cells during mycobacterial infection,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 177, no. 3, pp. 1416–1420, 2006.
- C. Song, L. Luo, Z. Lei et al., “IL-17-producing alveolar macrophages mediate allergic lung inflammation related to asthma,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 181, no. 9, pp. 6117–6124, 2008.
- R. Halwani, S. Al-Muhsen, and Q. Hamid, “Airway remodeling in asthma,” Current Opinion in Pharmacology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 236–245, 2010.
- J. M. Fox, E. Letellier, C. J. Oliphant, and N. Signoret, “TLR2-dependent pathway of heterologous down-modulation for the CC chemokine receptors 1, 2, and 5 in human blood monocytes,” Blood, vol. 117, no. 6, pp. 1851–1860, 2011.
- G. M. Walsh, “Novel cytokine-directed therapies for asthma,” Discovery Medicine, vol. 11, no. 59, pp. 283–291.