- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 985257, 13 pages
Targeted Metabolomics of Serum Acylcarnitines Evaluates Hepatoprotective Effect of Wuzhi Tablet (Schisandra sphenanthera Extract) against Acute Acetaminophen Toxicity
1School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sun Yat-sen University, 132 Waihuandong Road, University City, Guangzhou 510006, China
2Laboratory of Metabolism, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
3Center for Metabolomics and Mass Spectrometry, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Received 12 November 2012; Revised 19 December 2012; Accepted 27 December 2012
Academic Editor: Adair Roberto Soares Santos
Copyright © 2013 Huichang Bi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. M. Larson, “Acetaminophen hepatotoxicity,” Clinics in Liver Disease, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 525–548, 2007.
- A. M. Larson, J. Polson, R. J. Fontana et al., “Acetaminophen-induced acute liver failure: results of a United States multicenter, prospective study,” Hepatology, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1364–1372, 2005.
- H. Jaeschke, M. R. McGill, C. D. Williams, and A. Ramachandran, “Current issues with acetaminophen hepatotoxicity—a clinically relevant model to test the efficacy of natural products,” Life Sciences, vol. 88, no. 17-18, pp. 737–745, 2011.
- M. Coen, E. M. Lenz, J. K. Nicholson, I. D. Wilson, F. Pognan, and J. C. Lindon, “An integrated metabonomic investigation of acetaminophen toxicity in the mouse using NMR spectroscopy,” Chemical Research in Toxicology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 295–303, 2003.
- M. Coen, S. U. Ruepp, J. C. Lindon et al., “Integrated application of transcriptomics and metabonomics yields new insight into the toxicity due to paracetamol in the mouse,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 93–105, 2004.
- T. Soga, R. Baran, M. Suematsu et al., “Differential metabolomics reveals ophthalmic acid as an oxidative stress biomarker indicating hepatic glutathione consumption,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 281, no. 24, pp. 16768–16776, 2006.
- C. Chen, K. W. Krausz, J. R. Idle, and F. J. Gonzalez, “Identification of novel toxicity-associated metabolites by metabolomics and mass isotopomer analysis of acetaminophen metabolism in wild-type and Cyp2e1-null mice,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 283, no. 8, pp. 4543–4559, 2008.
- C. Chen, K. W. Krausz, Y. M. Shah, J. R. Idle, and F. J. Gonzalez, “Serum metabolomics reveals irreversible inhibition of fatty acid β-oxidation through the suppression of PPARα activation as a contributing mechanism of acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity,” Chemical Research in Toxicology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 699–707, 2009.
- A. D. Patterson, Y. M. Shah, T. Matsubara, K. W. Krausz, and F. J. Gonzalez, “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha induction of uncoupling protein 2 protects against acetaminophen-induced liver toxicity,” Hepatology, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 281–290, 2012.
- M. Mroueh, Y. Saab, and R. Rizkallah, “Hepatoprotective activity of Centaurium erythraea on acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in rats,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 431–433, 2004.
- S. T. Kim, J. D. Kim, S. H. Ahn, G. S. Ahn, Y. I. Lee, and Y. S. Jeong, “Hepatoprotective and antioxidant effects of Alnus japonica extracts on acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in rats,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 971–975, 2004.
- F. C. Meotti, J. M. Rosa, P. S. Brocardo et al., “Protective effect of crude extract from Wedelia paludosa (Asteraceae) on the hepatotoxicity induced by paracetamol in mice,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 137–142, 2006.
- R. Wang, J. Kong, D. Wang, L. L. M. Lien, and E. J. C. Lien, “A survey of Chinese herbal ingredients with liver protection activities,” Chinese Medicine, vol. 2, article 5, 2007.
- C. Huyke, K. Engel, B. Simon-Haarhaus, K. W. Quirin, and C. M. Schempp, “Composition and biological activity of different extracts from Schisandra sphenanthera and Schisandra chinensis,” Planta Medica, vol. 73, no. 10, pp. 1116–1126, 2007.
- M. Zhu, R. Y. Yeung, K. F. Lin, and R. C. Li, “Improvement of phase I drug metabolism with Schisandra chinensis against CCl4 hepatotoxicity in a rat model,” Planta Medica, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 521–525, 2000.
- Y. Xie, H. Hao, A. Kang et al., “Integral pharmacokinetics of multiple lignan components in normal, CCl4-induced hepatic injury and hepatoprotective agents pretreated rats and correlations with hepatic injury biomarkers,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 290–299, 2010.
- M. H. Tang, P. Y. Chiu, and K. M. Ko, “Hepatoprotective action of schisandrin B against carbon tetrachloride toxicity was mediated by both enhancement of mitochondrial glutathione status and induction of heat shock proteins in mice,” BioFactors, vol. 19, no. 1-2, pp. 33–42, 2003.
- R. Teraoka, T. Shimada, and M. Aburada, “The molecular mechanisms of the hepatoprotective effect of gomisin a against oxidative stress and inflammatory response in rats with carbon tetrachloride-induced acute liver injury,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 171–177, 2012.
- Y. Chen, S. P. Ip, K. M. Ko et al., “A proteomic approach in investigating the hepatoprotective mechanism of schisandrin B: role of raf kinase inhibitor protein,” Journal of Proteome Research, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 299–304, 2011.
- D. W. Foster, “The role of the carnitine system in human metabolism,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1033, pp. 1–16, 2004.
- S. I. Jang, H. J. Kim, K. M. Hwang et al., “Hepatoprotective effect of baicalin, a major flavone from Scutellaria radix, on acetaminophen-induced liver injury in mice,” Immunopharmacology and Immunotoxicology, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 585–594, 2003.
- K. H. Janbaz, S. A. Saeed, and A. H. Gilani, “Protective effect of rutin on paracetamol- and CCl4-induced hepatotoxicity in rodents,” Fitoterapia, vol. 73, no. 7-8, pp. 557–563, 2002.
- K. M. Ko, S. P. Ip, M. K. T. Poon et al., “Effect of a lignan-enriched fructus Schisandrae extract on hepatic glutathione status in rats: protection against carbon tetrachloride toxicity,” Planta Medica, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 134–137, 1995.
- S. P. Ip, H. Y. Yiu, and K. M. Ko, “Differential effect of schisandrin B and dimethyl diphenyl bicarboxylate (DDB) on hepatic mitochondrial glutathione redox status in carbon tetrachloride intoxicated mice,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 205, no. 1-2, pp. 111–114, 2000.
- S. P. Ip, C. Y. Ma, C. T. Che, and K. M. Ko, “Methylenedioxy group as determinant of schisandrin in enhancing hepatic mitochondrial glutathione in carbon tetrachloride-intoxicated mice,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 317–319, 1997.
- X. L. Qin, T. Yu, L. J. Li et al., “Effect of long-term co-administration of Wuzhi tablet (Schisandra sphenanthera extract) and prednisone on the pharmacokinetics of tacrolimus,” Phytomedicine, 2012.
- H.-W. Liu, X.-Z. Yu, D. Padula et al., “Lignans from Schisandra sphenathera Rehd. et Wils. and semisynthetic schisantherin A analogues: absolute configuration, and their estrogenic and anti-proliferative activity,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 59, pp. 265–273, 2013.
- X. Ci, R. Ren, K. Xu et al., “Schisantherin a exhibits anti-inflammatory properties by down-regulating NF-κB and MAPK signaling pathways in lipopolysaccharide-treated RAW 264.7 cells,” Inflammation, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 126–136, 2010.
- B. K. Gunawan, Z. X. Liu, D. Han, N. Hanawa, W. A. Gaarde, and N. Kaplowitz, “c-Jun N-terminal kinase plays a major role in murine acetaminophen hepatotoxicity,” Gastroenterology, vol. 131, no. 1, pp. 165–178, 2006.
- J. E. Manautou, A. Tveit, D. J. Hoivik, E. A. Khairallah, and S. D. Cohen, “Protection by clofibrate against acetaminophen hepatotoxicity in male CD-1 mice is associated with an early increase in biliary concentration of acetaminophen-glutathione adducts,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 30–38, 1996.
- C. Chen, G. E. Hennig, H. E. Whiteley, J. C. Corton, and J. E. Manautou, “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha-null mice lack resistance to acetaminophen hepatotoxicity following clofibrate exposure,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 338–344, 2000.
- H. M. Mehendale, “PPAR-α: a key to the mechanism of hepatoprotection by clofibrate,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 187–190, 2000.
- A. Sandor, J. Cseko, G. Kispal, and I. Alkonyi, “Surplus acylcarnitines in the plasma of starved rats derive from the liver,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 265, no. 36, pp. 22313–22316, 1990.