- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 989841, 9 pages
Tualang Honey Promotes Apoptotic Cell Death Induced by Tamoxifen in Breast Cancer Cell Lines
1Department of Chemical Pathology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Malaysia Health Campus, 16150 Kubang Kerian, Kelantan, Malaysia
2School of Health Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 16150 Kubang Kerian, Kelantan, Malaysia
Received 30 September 2012; Accepted 7 January 2013
Academic Editor: Alfredo Vannacci
Copyright © 2013 Nik Soriani Yaacob et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. M. Gottesman, “Mechanisms of cancer drug resistance,” Annual Review of Medicine, vol. 53, pp. 615–627, 2002.
- C. I. Li, J. R. Daling, and K. E. Malone, “Incidence of invasive breast cancer by hormone receptor status from 1992 to 1998,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 28–34, 2003.
- P. M. Ravdin, K. A. Cronin, N. Howlader et al., “The decrease in breast-cancer incidence in 2003 in the United States,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 356, no. 16, pp. 1670–1674, 2007.
- C. K. Osborne, “Tamoxifen in the treatment of breast cancer,” The New English Journal of Medicine, vol. 339, pp. 1609–1617, 1998.
- R. J. Cersosimo, “Tamoxifen for prevention of breast cancer,” The Annals of Pharmacotherapy, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 268–273, 2003.
- B. Fisher, J. P. Costantino, D. L. Wickerham et al., “Tamoxifen for prevention of breast cancer: report of the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project P-1 study,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 90, no. 18, pp. 1371–1388, 1998.
- B. Fisher, J. P. Costantino, C. K. Redmond, E. R. Fisher, D. L. Wickerham, and W. M. Cronin, “Endometrial cancer in tamoxifen-treated breast cancer patients: findings from the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project (NSABP) B-14,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 86, no. 7, pp. 527–537, 1994.
- S. Y. Kim, N. Suzuki, Y. R. S. Laxmi, and S. Shibutani, “Genotoxic mechanism of tamoxifen in developing endometrial cancer,” Drug Metabolism Reviews, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 199–218, 2004.
- K. Hemminki, H. Rajaniemi, M. Koskinen, and J. Hansson, “Tamoxifen-induced DNA adducts in leucocytes of breast cancer patients,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 9–13, 1997.
- K. Hemminki, H. Rajaniemi, B. Lindahl, and B. Moberger, “Tamoxifen-induced DNA adducts in endometrial samples from breast cancer patients,” Cancer Research, vol. 56, no. 19, pp. 4374–4377, 1996.
- S. Shibutani, A. Ravindernath, N. Suzuki et al., “Identification of tamoxifen-DNA adducts in the endometrium of women treated with tamoxifen,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1461–1467, 2000.
- M. Clemons, S. Danson, and A. Howell, “Tamoxifen (“Nolvadex”): a review,” Cancer Treatment Review, vol. 28, pp. 165–180, 2002.
- Early Breast Cancer Triallists’ Collaborative Group (EBCTCG), “Effects of chemotherapy and hormonal therapy for early breast cancer on recurrence and 15-year survival: an overview of the randomised trials,” The Lancet, vol. 365, no. 9472, pp. 1687–1717, 2005.
- D. S. Fabricant and N. R. Farnsworth, “The value of plants used in traditional medicine for drug discovery,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 69–75, 2001.
- G. Minotti, P. Menna, E. Salvatorelli, G. Cairo, and L. Gianni, “Anthracyclines: molecular advances and pharmacologie developments in antitumor activity and cardiotoxicity,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 185–229, 2004.
- A. E. Ring and P. A. Ellis, “Taxanes in the treatment of early breast cancer,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 618–627, 2005.
- M. A. Jordan, “Mechanism of action of antitumor drugs that interact with microtubules and tubulin,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–17, 2002.
- E. Galletti, M. Magnani, M. L. Renzulli, and M. Botta, “Paclitaxel and docetaxel resistance: molecular mechanisms and development of new generation taxanes,” ChemMedChem, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 920–942, 2007.
- A. N. Fauzi, M. N. Norazmi, and N. S. Yaacob, “Tualang honey induces apoptosis and disrupts the mitochondrial membrane potential of human breast and cervical cancer cell lines,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 871–878, 2011.
- M. S. Nurul Syazana, A. S. Halim, S. H. Gan, and S. Shamsuddin, “Antiproliferative effect of methanolic extraction of tualang honey on human keloid fibroblasts,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 11, article 82, 2011.
- M. Mohamed, K. N. S. Sirajudeen, M. Swamy, N. S. Yaacob, and S. A. Sulaiman, “Studies on the antioxidant properties of tualang honey of Malaysia,” African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 59–63, 2010.
- M. I. Khalil, N. Alam, M. Moniruzzaman, S. A. Sulaiman, and S. H. Gan, “Phenolic acid composition and antioxidant properties of Malaysian honeys,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. C921–C928, 2011.
- R. K. Kishore, A. S. Halim, M. S. N. Syazana, and K. N. S. Sirajudeen, “Tualang honey has higher phenolic content and greater radical scavenging activity compared with other honey sources,” Nutrition Research, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 322–325, 2011.
- P. A. Ellis, G. Saccani-Jotti, R. Clarke et al., “Induction of apoptosis by tamoxifen and ICI 182780 in primary breast cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 608–613, 1997.
- L. Petinari, L. K. Kohn, J. E. De Carvalho, and S. C. Genari, “Cytotoxicity of tamoxifen in normal and tumoral cell lines and its ability to induce cellular transformation in vitro,” Cell Biology International, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 531–539, 2004.
- S. Mandlekar and A. N. T. Kong, “Mechanisms of tamoxifen-induced apoptosis,” Apoptosis, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 469–477, 2001.
- D. N. Waterhouse, K. A. Gelmon, R. Klasa et al., “Development and assessment of conventional and targeted drug combinations for use in the treatment of aggressive breast cancers,” Current Cancer Drug Targets, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 455–489, 2006.
- G. von Minckwitz, “Docetaxel/anthracycline combinations for breast cancer treatment,” Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 485–495, 2007.
- L. J. M. Oostendorp, P. F. M. Stalmeier, A. R. T. Donders, and P. B. Ottevanger, “Efficacy and safety of palliative chemotherapy for patients with advanced breast cancer pretreated with anthracyclines and taxanes: a systematic review,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1053–1061, 2011.
- A. Argiris, C. X. Wang, S. G. Whalen, and M. P. DiGiovanna, “Synergistic interactions between tamoxifen and trastuzumab (Herceptin),” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 1409–1420, 2004.
- O. Treeck, B. Wackwitz, U. Haus, and O. Ortmann, “Effects of a combined treatment with mTOR inhibitor RAD001 and tamoxifen in vitro on growth and apoptosis of human cancer cells,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 292–299, 2006.
- H. N. Yu, E. M. Noh, Y. R. Lee et al., “Troglitazone enhances tamoxifen-induced growth inhibitory activity of MCF-7 cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 377, no. 1, pp. 242–247, 2008.
- A. Brüning, K. Friese, A. Burges, and I. Mylonas, “Tamoxifen enhances the cytotoxic effects of nelfinavir in breast cancer cells,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 12, no. 4, article R45, 2010.
- A. K. Chakraborty, A. Welsh, and M. P. Digiovanna, “Co-targeting the insulin-like growth factor I receptor enhances growth-inhibitory and pro-apoptotic effects of anti-estrogens in human breast cancer cell lines,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 327–335, 2010.
- J. Wang, W. Liu, Q. Zhao et al., “Synergistic effect of 5-fluorouracil with gambogic acid on BGC-823 human gastric carcinoma,” Toxicology, vol. 256, no. 1-2, pp. 135–140, 2009.
- S. M. Raja, R. J. Clubb, C. Ortega-Cava et al., “Anticancer activity of Celastrol in combination with ErbB2-targeted therapeutics for treatment of ErbB2-overexpressing breast cancers,” Cancer Biology and Therapy, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 263–276, 2011.
- M. R. Sartippour, R. Pietras, D. C. Marquez-Garban et al., “The combination of green tea and tamoxifen is effective against breast cancer,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 2424–2433, 2006.
- P. X. Petit, H. Lecoeur, E. Zorn, C. Dauguet, B. Mignotte, and M. L. Gougeon, “Alterations in mitochondrial structure and function are early events of dexamethasone-induced thymocyte apoptosis,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 157–167, 1995.
- D. R. Green and G. Kroemer, “The pathophysiology of mitochondrial cell death,” Science, vol. 305, no. 5684, pp. 626–629, 2004.
- C. D. Lobatón, L. Vay, E. Hernández-SanMiguel et al., “Modulation of mitochondrial Ca2+ uptake by estrogen receptor agonists and antagonists,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 145, no. 7, pp. 862–871, 2005.
- S. K. Jaganathan and M. Mandal, “Involvement of non-protein thiols, mitochondrial dysfunction, reactive oxygen species and p53 in honey-induced apoptosis,” Investigational New Drugs, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 624–633, 2010.
- R. Kim, M. Emi, and K. Tanabe, “Role of mitochondria as the gardens of cell death,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 545–553, 2006.
- J. E. Belizário, I. Alves, J. M. Occhiucci, M. Garay-Malpartida, and A. Sesso, “A mechanistic view of mitochondrial death decision pores,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1011–1024, 2007.
- G. Gakhar, D. H. Hua, and T. A. Nguyen, “Combinational treatment of gap junctional activator and tamoxifen in breast cancer cells,” Anti-Cancer Drugs, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 77–88, 2010.