- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Economics Research International
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 191425, 5 pages
Discount Rate for Health Benefits and the Value of Life in India
Madras School of Economics, Chennai 600 025, India
Received 7 December 2010; Revised 10 July 2011; Accepted 1 August 2011
Academic Editor: Paresh Kumar Narayan
Copyright © 2011 K. R. Shanmugam. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Atmadja, Discount rate estimation and the role of time preference in rural household behavior: disease prevention in india and forest management in the US, Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Forestry and Environmental Resources, North Carolina State University, 2008.
- E. Kula, “Estimation of a social rate of interest for India,” Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 91–99, 2004.
- S. Frederick, G. Loewenstein, and T. O'Donoghue, “Time discounting and time preference: a critical review,” Journal of Economic Literature, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 351–401, 2002.
- J. Hausman, “Individual discount rates and the purchase and Utilization of energy-using durables,” Bell Journal of Economics, vol. 10, pp. 33–54, 1979.
- D. Gately, “Individual discountrates and the purchase and utilization of energy-using durables: comment,” Bell Journal of Economics, vol. 11, pp. 373–374, 1980.
- M. J. Moore and W. K. Viscusi, “The quantity-adjusted value of life,” Economic Inquiry, vol. 26, pp. 369–388, 1988.
- W. K. Viscusi and M. J. Moore, “Rates of time preference and valuations of the duration of life,” Journal of Public Economics, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 297–317, 1989.
- M. J. Moore and W. K. Viscusi, “Discounting environmental health risks: new evidence and policy implications,” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 381–401, 1990.
- J. L. Pender, “Discount rates and credit markets: theory and evidence from rural India,” Journal of Development Economics, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 257–296, 1996.
- K. R. Shanmugan, “Rate of time preference and the quantity adjusted value of life in India,” Environment and Development Economics, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 569–583, 2006.
- K. R. Shanmugam, “The value of life: estimates from indian labour market,” Indian Economic Journal, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 105–114, 1996.
- S. Madheswaran, “Measuring the value of life and limb: estimating compensating wage differentials among workers in Chennai and Mumbai,” SANDEE Working Paper 9-04, 2004.
- W. K. Viscusi, “The value of risks to life and health,” Journal of Economic Literature, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 1912–1946, 1993.
- J. Zhuang, Z. Liang, T. Lin, and F. De Guzman, “Theory and practice in the choice of social discount rate for cost-benefit analysis: a survey,” ERD Working Paper Series, no. 94, pp. 1–45, 2007.