- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Economics Research International
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 575192, 6 pages
Disease Resistance of Wheat Varieties: Can Private Varieties Withstand the Pressure?
Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-7801, USA
Received 6 December 2010; Revised 18 March 2011; Accepted 13 April 2011
Academic Editor: Jean Paul Chavas
Copyright © 2011 William Lesser and Deepthi Elizabeth Kolady. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. E. Kolady and W. Lesser, “But are they meritorious? Genetic productivity gains under plant intellectual property rights,” Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 62–79, 2009.
- J. Walsh, “Genetic vulnerability down on the farm ( corn),” Science, vol. 214, no. 4517, pp. 161–164, 1981.
- D. N. Duvick, “Major united states crops in 1976,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 287, pp. 86–96, 1977.
- E. D. DeWolf and P. E. Sloderbeck, “Wheat Variety Disease and Insect Ratings 2008,” Kansas State U Ag, Exp. Station, MF-991, 2008, http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/plant2/mf991.pdf.
- J. M. Alston and R. J. Venner, “The effects of the US Plant Variety Protection Act on wheat genetic improvement,” Research Policy, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 527–542, 2002.
- D. N. Duvick and K. G. Cassman, “Post-green revolution trends in yield potential of temperate maize in the north-central United States,” Crop Science, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1622–1630, 1999.
- B. L. Dahl, W. W. Wilson, and D. D. Johnson, “Valuing new varieties: Trade-offs between growers and end-users in wheat,” Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 82–96, 2004.
- K. J. Frey, “National plan for genepool enrichment Of U.S. crops,” National Plant Breeding Study-III, Special Report 101, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, USA, 1998.
- U.S. Congress, Office Technology Assessment, Pest Management Strategies in Crop Protection, Vol. I, 1979http://www.fas.org/ota/reports/7912.pdf.
- Z. Griliches, “Hybrid corn: an exploration of the economics of technological change,” in Technology, Education and Productivity: Early Papers with Notes to Subsequent Literature, pp. 27–52, Basil Blackwell, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- A. P. Barkley and L. L. Porter, “The determinants of wheat variety selection in Kansas, 1974 to 1993,” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 202–211, 1996.
- W. N. Musser and G. F. Patrick, “How much does risk really matter to farmers?” in A Comprehensive Assessment of the Role of Risk in Agriculture, R. E. Just and R. D. Pope, Eds., chapter 24, pp. 537–556, Kluwer Academic, Dodrecht, The Netherlands, 2002.
- A. Barkley and H. H. Peterson, “Wheat variety selection: an application of portfolio theory to improve returns,” in Proceedings of the NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management( '08), St. Louis, Mo, USA, 2008.
- B. L. Dahl, W. W. Wilson, and W. W. Wilson, “Factors affecting spring wheat variety choices: Comparisons between Canada and the United States,” Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 305–320, 1999.
- W. Lesser, “Canadian seeds act: do they mimic plant breeders' rights legislation?” Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 36, pp. 519–529, 1988.
- L. Cadle-Davidson, M. E. Sorrells, S. M. Gray, and G. C. Bergstrom, “Identification of small grains genotypes resistant to Wheat spindle streak mosaic virus,” Plant Disease, vol. 90, no. 8, pp. 1045–1050, 2006.
- “Kansas State University, Kansas Performance Tests with Winter Wheat Varieties,” Reports of Progress 930, 947, 967, 982, 999 and 1018, Manhattan, 2004-2008, http://www.agronomy.ksu.edu/extension/p.aspx?tabid=92.
- J. A. Appel, E. D. DeWolf, W. W. Backus, R. L. Bowden, and T. Todd, “Kansas Cooperative Plant Disease Survey Report: Preliminary 2008 Kansas wWheat Disease Loss Estimates,” 2008, http://www.ksda.gov/includes/document_center/plant_protection/Plant_Disease_Reports/2009KSWheatDiseaseLossEstimates.pdf;.
- Kansas Department Agriculture, Division Statistics,, “Wheat Variety,” 2008, http://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/Kansas/Publications/Crops/Whtvar/whtvar08.pdf.