- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Economics Research International
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 924708, 8 pages
Is Farmland As Good As Gold?
Department of Management and Marketing and Potash Corp Centre, Edwards School of Business, University of Saskatchewan, 25 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, SK, S7N 5A7, Canada
Received 3 August 2011; Accepted 16 September 2011
Academic Editor: Jos van Ommeren
Copyright © 2011 Marvin J. Painter. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Painter, “A comparison of farm incomes and wealth in Canada,” Journal of the International Farm Management Association, vol. 3, edition 1, pp. 1–18, 2005.
- M. J. Painter, “The financial benefits of a canadian farmland mutual fund,” Journal of the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 40–48, 2006.
- H. M. Markowitz, Portfolio Selection: Efficient Diversification of Investment, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1959.
- J. Tobin, “Liquidity Preference as Behavior Toward Risk,” Review of Economic Studies, vol. 26, pp. 65–86, 1958.
- J. Treynor, Towards a Theory of the Market Value of Risky Assets, Unpublished Manuscript, 1961.
- W. F. Sharpe, “Capital asset prices: a theory of market equilibrium under conditions of risk,” Journal of Finance, pp. 425–442, 1964.
- P. J. Barry, “Capital asset pricing and farm real estate,” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 62, pp. 549–563, 1980.
- H. M. Kaplan, “Farmland as a portfolio investment,” The Journal of Portfolio Management, vol. 11, pp. 73–79, 1985.
- C. B. Moss, A. M. Featherstone, and T. G. Baker, “Agricultural assets in an efficient multi-period investment portfolio,” Agricultural Finance Review, vol. 47, pp. 82–94, 1987.
- D. Lins, A. Kowalski, and C. Hoffman, “Institutional investment diversification: foreign stocks vs U.S. farmland,” in Proceedings of the Regional Research Committee NC-161, Department of Agricultural Economics, Kansas State University, Manhatten, Kan, USA, February 1992.
- J. Ruebens and J. Webb, “Farmland as an Inflation Hedge,” Real Estate Research Issues, no. 2, pp. 129–134, 1995.
- M. J. Painter, “Should saskatchewan farmland be part of your investment portfolio?” Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 39–50, 2000.
- H. M. Bigge and M. R. Langemeier, “Relative profitability and risk of kansas farms and the S&P 500,” Journal of the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers, pp. 57–63, 2004.
- J. D. Libbin, J. D. Kohler, and J. M. Hawkes, “Financial and real estate investments in mixed-asset agricultural portfolios,” Journal of the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers, pp. 97–107, 2004.
- J. D. Libbin, J. D. Kohler, and J. M. Hawkes, “Does modern portfolio theory apply to agricultural land ownership? Concepts for farmers and farm managers,” Journal of the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 85–96, 2004.
- M. J. Painter and C. Eves, “The financial gains from adding farmland to an international investment portfolio,” Journal of Real Estate Portfolio Management, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 63–73, 2008.
- M. J. Painter, “The portfolio diversification impact of a farmland real estate investment trust,” International Business and Economics Research Journal, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 115–124, 2010.