- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Economics Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 230638, 12 pages
Economic Risks of Aflatoxin Contamination in Marketing of Peanut in Benin
1Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station, Auburn University, Auburn, AL, USA
2Department of Economics, Socio-Anthropology and Communication, University of Abomey-Calavi, Cotonou, Benin
3Department of Epidemiology and International Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Received 20 June 2012; Accepted 31 July 2012
Academic Editor: Anthony N. Rezitis
Copyright © 2012 C. Bley N'dede et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. K. Salunkhe, R. N. Adsule, J. K. Chavan, and S. S. Kadam, World Oilseeds: Chemistry, Technology, and Utilization, Springer, 1992.
- R. G. Hendrickse, J. B. Coulter, S. M. Lamplugh, S. B. Macfarlane, M. I. Omer, and G. I. Suliman, “Aflatoxins and kwashiorkor: a study in Sudanese children,” British Medical Journal, vol. 285, no. 6345, pp. 843–846, 1982.
- G. Ramjee, P. Berjak, M. Adhikari, and M. F. Dutton, “Aflatoxins and kwashiorkor in Durban, South Africa,” Annals of Tropical Paediatrics, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 241–247, 1992.
- S. M. Lamplugh and R. G. Hendrickse, “Aflatoxins in the livers of children with kwashiorkor,” Annals of Tropical Paediatrics, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 101–104, 1982.
- E. Dohlman, “Mycotoxin hazards and regulations: impacts on food and animal feed crop trade,” in International Trade and Food Safety: Economic Theory and Case Studies, J. Buzby, Ed., Agricultural Economic Report 828, USDA, ERS, 2003.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), “Worldwide Regulations for Mycotoxins 1995: A compendium,” FAO Food and Nutrition Paper No. 64, Rome, Italy, 1997.
- K. F. Cardwell, A. Desjardins, S. H. Henry, G. Munkyold, and J. Robens, The Costs of Achieving Food Security and Food Quality, 2004, http://www.apsnet.org/online/festure/mycotoxin/top.html.
- O. Coulibaly, K. Hell, R. Bandyopadhyay, S. Hounkponou, and J. F. Leslie, Mycotoxins: Detection Methods, Management, Public Health and Agricultural Trade, CAB International, 2008.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Food and Agricultural Statistics, Rome, Italy, 2002.
- E. O. Farombi, “Aflatoxin contamination of foods in developing countries: implications for hepatocellular carcinoma and chemopreventive strategies,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 2006.
- R. T. Awuah, S. C. Fialor, A. D. Binns, J. Kagochi, and C. M. Jolly, “Factors influencing market participants decision to sort groundnuts along the marketing chain in Ghana,” Peanut Science, vol. 36, pp. 68–76, 2006.
- Y. Y. Gong, K. Cardwell, A. Hounsa et al., “Dietary aflatoxin exposure and impaired growth in young children from Benin and Togo: cross sectional study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 325, no. 7354, pp. 20–21, 2002.
- K. Hell, K. F. Cardwell, and H. M. Poehling, “Relationship between management practices, fungal infection and aflatoxin for stored maize in Benin,” Journal of Phytopathology, vol. 151, no. 11-12, pp. 690–698, 2003.
- L. J. Unnevehr, “Food safety issues and fresh food product exports from LDCs,” Agricultural Economics, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 231–240, 2000.
- L. Mitchell, “Economic theory and conceptual relationships between food safety and international trade,” in International Trade and Food Safety; AER # 828, 2003.
- ICRISAT, “VIth International Conference on Legume Genentics and Genomics,” Hyderbad, India, 2008.
- R. R. Paz, R. L. Tiongson, D. D. Dayanghirang, and A. C. Rodriguez, “Control of Aflatoxin in maize (Philippines) phase I,” in Proceedings of the 12th ASEAN Seminar on Grain Postharvest Technology, pp. 4–8, ASEAN Grain Postharvest Programme, Surabaya, Indonesia, August 1989.
- K. Hell, K. F. Cardwell, M. Setamou, and H. M. Poehling, “The influence of storage practices on aflatoxin contamination in maize in four agroecological zones of Benin, West Africa,” Journal of Stored Products Research, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 365–382, 2000.
- A. Attah, R. T. Awuah, K. A. Kpodo, S. C. Fialor, and C. M. Jolly, “Cost effectiveness of selected post harvest pod handling techniques against damage, moldiness and aflatoxin contamination of shelled groundnut in Ghana,” Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 1–17, 2007.
- P. C. Turner, S. E. Moore, A. J. Hall, A. M. Prentice, and C. P. Wild, “Modification of immune function through exposure to dietary aflatoxin in Gambian children,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 217–220, 2003.
- A. N. Kaaya and W. Kyamuhangire, “The effect of storage time and agroecological zone on mould incidence and aflatoxin contamination of maize from traders in Uganda,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 217–223, 2006.
- A. N. Kaaya and H. L. Warren, “A review of past and present research on aflatoxin in Uganda,” African Journal of Food Agriculture Nutrition and Development, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2005.
- P. Jolly, Y. Jiang, W. O. Ellis et al., “Determinants of aflatoxin levels in Ghanaians: sociodemographic factors, knowledge of aflatoxin and food handling and consumption practices,” International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, vol. 209, no. 4, pp. 345–358, 2006.
- C. M. Jolly, B. Bayard, R. T. Awuah, S. C. Fialor, and J. T. Williams, “Examining the structure of awareness and perceptions of groundnut aflatoxin among Ghanaian health and agricultural professionals and its influence on their actions,” Journal of Socio-Economics, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 280–287, 2009.
- C. M. Jolly, B. Bayard, and S. Vodouhe, “Risks of ingestion of aflatoxin-contaminated groundnuts in Benin: scale measurements, beliefs, and socioeconomic factors,” Risk Analysis, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 1395–1409, 2009.