- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Economics Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 920901, 8 pages
Medical Cost and Motorcycle Helmet Law in Taiwan
1Department of Economics, National Taipei University, 151 University Road, San Shia, New Taipei 237, Taiwan
2Department of Public Finance, National Taipei University, 151 University Road, San Shia, New Taipei 237, Taiwan
Received 3 January 2012; Accepted 18 March 2012
Academic Editor: Junsen Zhang
Copyright © 2012 Chin-Shyan Chen and Tsai-Ching Liu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Ministry of Interior Statistical Reports, 2008, Department of Statistics, Ministry of Interior, Republic of China.
- J. F. Kraus, C. Peek, D. L. McArthur, and A. Williams, “The effect of the 1992 California motorcycle helmet use law on motorcycle crash fatalities and injuries,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 272, no. 19, pp. 1506–1511, 1994.
- F. Servadei, C. Begliomini, E. Gardini, M. Giustini, F. Taggi, and J. Kraus, “Effect of Italy's motorcycle helmet law on traumatic brain injuries,” Injury Prevention, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 257–260, 2003.
- M. Ichikawa, W. Chadbunchachai, and E. Marui, “Effect of the helmet act for motorcyclists in Thailand,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 183–189, 2003.
- S. H. Keng, “Helmet use and motorcycle fatalities in Taiwan,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 349–355, 2005.
- D. J. Houston and L. E. Richardson, “Motorcycle safety and the repeal of universal helmet laws,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 97, no. 11, pp. 2063–2069, 2007.
- K. J. Mertz and H. B. Weiss, “Changes in motorcycle-related head injury deaths, hospitalizations, and hospital charges following repeal of Pennsylvania's mandatory motorcycle helmet law,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 98, no. 8, pp. 1464–1467, 2008.
- A. J. Derrick and L. D. Faucher, “Motorcycle helmets and rider safety: a legislative crisis,” Journal of Public Health Policy, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 226–242, 2009.
- M. T. French, G. Gumus, and J. F. Homer, “Public policies and motorcycle safety,” Journal of Health Economics, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 831–838, 2009.
- H. Y. Lee, Y. H. Chen, W. T. Chiu, J. S. Hwang, and J. D. Wang, “Quality-adjusted life-years and helmet use among motorcyclists sustaining head injuries,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 165–170, 2010.
- M. C. Tsai and D. Hemenway, “Effect of the mandatory helmet law in Taiwan,” Injury Prevention, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 290–291, 1999.
- W. T. Chiu, C. Y. Kuo, C. C. Hung, and M. Chen, “The effect of the Taiwan motorcycle helmet use law on head injuries,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 90, no. 5, pp. 793–796, 2000.
- N. S. Fleming and E. R. Becker, “The impact of the Texas 1989 motorcycle helmet law on total and head-related fatalities, severe injuries, and overall injuries,” Medical Care, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 832–845, 1992.
- R. L. Muelleman, E. J. Mlinek, and P. E. Collicott, “Motorcycle crash injuries and costs: effect of a reenacted comprehensive helmet use law,” Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 266–272, 1992.
- C. C. Branas and M. M. Knudson, “Helmet laws and motorcycle rider death rates,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 641–648, 2001.
- J. Mayrose, “The effects of a mandatory motorcycle helmet law on helmet use and injury patterns among motorcyclist fatalities,” Journal of Safety Research, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 429–432, 2008.
- Ministry of Transportation and Communications, “Monthly statistics of transportation and communications,” 2007, Department of Statistics, Ministry of Transportation and Communications, Republic of China.