- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Economics Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 618039, 8 pages
The Cost of Diabetes-Related Complications: Registry-Based Analysis of Days Absent from Work
1University of Southern Denmark, J. B. Winsløws Vej 9B, 5000 Odense, Denmark
2Novo Nordisk A/S, Vandtårnsvej 114, 2860 Søborg, Denmark
Received 8 December 2012; Accepted 30 January 2013
Academic Editor: Colin C. Williams
Copyright © 2013 Jan Sørensen and Uffe Jon Ploug. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Ettaro, T. J. Songer, P. Zhang, and M. M. Engelgau, “Cost-of-illness studies in diabetes mellitus,” PharmacoEconomics, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 149–164, 2004.
- B. Leese, “The costs of diabetes and its complications,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1303–1310, 1992.
- American Diabetes Association, “Economic costs of diabetes in the U.S. in 2007,” Diabetes Care, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 596–615, 2008.
- O. Solli, T. Jenssen, and I. S. Kristiansen, “Diabetes: cost of illness in Norway,” BMC Endocrine Disorders, vol. 10, article 15, 2010.
- L. J. Hansen, N. De Fine Olivarius, and V. Siersma, “16-year excess all-cause mortality of newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic patients: a cohort study,” BMC Public Health, vol. 9, article 400, 2009.
- P. Wennberg, O. Rolandsson, L. Jerdén et al., “Self-rated health and mortality in individuals with diabetes mellitus: prospective cohort study,” BMJ Open, vol. 2, no. 1, Article ID e000760, 2012.
- H. E. Mulnier, H. E. Seaman, V. S. Raleigh, S. S. Soedamah-Muthu, H. M. Colhoun, and R. A. Lawrenson, “Mortality in people with type 2 diabetes in the UK,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 516–521, 2006.
- U. G. Gerdtham, P. Clarke, A. Hayes, and S. Gudbjornsdottir, “Estimating the cost of diabetes mellitus-related events from inpatient admissions in sweden using administrative hospitalization data,” PharmacoEconomics, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 81–90, 2009.
- P. Clarke, J. Leal, C. Kelman, M. Smith, and S. Colagiuri, “Estimating the cost of complications of diabetes in Australia using administrative health-care data,” Value in Health, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 199–206, 2008.
- J. A. O'Brien, L. A. Shomphe, P. L. Kavanagh, G. Raggio, and J. Jaime Caro, “Direct medical costs of complications resulting from type 2 diabetes in the U.S.,” Diabetes Care, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1122–1128, 1998.
- J. J. Caro, A. J. Ward, and J. A. O'Brien, “Lifetime costs of complications resulting from type 2 diabetes in the U.S.,” Diabetes Care, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 476–481, 2002.
- H. S. Brown, J. A. Pagán, and E. Bastida, “The impact of diabetes on employment: genetic IVs in a bivariate probit,” Health Economics, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 537–544, 2005.
- T. Minor, “The effect of diabetes on female labor force decisions: new evidence from the National Health Interview Survey,” Health Economics, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1468–1486, 2010.
- E. Latif, “The impact of diabetes on employment in Canada,” Health Economics, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 577–589, 2009.
- K. Steen Carlsson, M. Landin-Olsson, L. Nyström et al., “Long-term detrimental consequences of the onset of type 1 diabetes on annual earnings-evidence from annual registry data in 1990–2005,” Diabetologia, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 1084–1092, 2010.
- K. Tunceli, C. J. Bradley, D. Nerenz, L. K. Williams, M. Pladevall, and J. E. Lafata, “The impact of diabetes on employment and work productivity,” Diabetes Care, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 2662–2667, 2005.
- A. Z. Fu, Y. Qiu, L. Radican, and B. J. Wells, “Health care and productivity costs associated with diabetic patients with macrovascular comorbid conditions,” Diabetes Care, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 2187–2192, 2009.
- M. daCosta DiBonaventura, J. C. Cappelleri, and A. V. Joshi, “A longitudinal assessment of painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy on health status, productivity, and health care utilization and cost,” Pain Medicine, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 118–126, 2011.
- M. C. Reilly, A. S. Zbrozek, and E. M. Dukes, “The validity and reproducibility of a work productivity and activity impairment instrument,” PharmacoEconomics, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 353–365, 1993.
- M. Kruse and T. Christiansen, “Register-based studies of healthcare costs,” Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 206–209, 2011.
- J. K. Kristensen, T. B. Drivsholm, B. Carstensen, M. Steding-Jessen, and A. Green, “Validation of methods to identify known diabetes on the basis of health registers,” Ugeskrift for Laeger, vol. 169, no. 18, pp. 1687–1692, 2007.
- T. B. Drivsholm, K. Frederiksen, N. de Fine Olivarius, B. Ødegaard, and J. K. Kristensen, “The prevalence of diabetes in Denmark. Development of a method for a registry-based assessment,” Ugeskrift for Laeger, vol. 165, no. 29, pp. 2887–2891, 2003.
- G. Shillinglaw, “The concept of attributable cost,” Journal of Accounting Research, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 73–85, 1963.
- L. A. Thomsen, J. Gundgaard, B. Søndergaard, A. Melander, and J. Sørensen, “Can Danish health care registries provide data for specific pDRA indicators in diabetes?” Ugeskrift for Laeger, vol. 169, no. 33, pp. 2637–2642, 2007.
- H. Schroll, H. Støvring, A. Houmand, and J. Kragstrup, “Estimating incidence and prevalence of episodes of care in general practice,” Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 60–64, 2004.
- N. B. o. Health, “The national diabetes registry 2007,” in Nye tal fra Sundhedsstyrelsen2009.
- A. Brooks, S. E. Hagen, S. Sathyanarayanan, A. B. Schultz, and D. W. Edington, “Presenteeism: critical issues,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 1055–1067, 2010.