- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Economics Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 694507, 15 pages
Commodity Food Prices: Review and Empirics
1Department of Business Administration of Food and Agricultural Products, University of Western Greece, G. Seferi 2, 30110 Agrinio, Greece
2Department of Economics and Management, University of Pavia, Via S. Felice 5, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Received 10 January 2013; Accepted 7 February 2013
Academic Editor: José M. Gil
Copyright © 2013 Anthony N. Rezitis and Maria Sassi. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. J. Koopman, A. C. Harvey, J. A. Doornik, and N. Shephard, STAMP 8.2: Structural Time Series Analyser, Modeller and Predictor, Timberlake Consultants, London, UK, 2009.
- C. L. Gilbert, “How to understand high food prices,” Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 398–425, 2010.
- D. Mitchell, “A note on rising food prices,” Policy Research Working Paper 4682, Development Prospects Group, World Bank, Washington, DC, USA, 2008.
- R. Trostle, “Fluctuating food commodity prices. A complex issue with no easy answers,” Amberwaves, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 10–17, 2008.
- S. Wiggins, S. Keats, and J. Compton, “What caused the food price spike of 2007/08? Lessons for world cereals markets,” Food Prices Project Report, Overseas Development Insitute, London, UK, 2010.
- A. Prakash and C. L. Gilbert, “Rising vulnerability in global food system: beyond market fundamentals,” in Safeguarding Food Security in Volatile Global Markets,, A. Prakash, Ed., FAO, Rome, Italy, 2011.
- N. Minot, “Transmission of world food prices changes to markets in Sub-Saharan Africa,” IFPRI Discussion Paper 01059, 2011.
- G. A. Cornia, L. Deotti, and M. Sassi, “Food price volatility over the last decade in Niger and Malawi: extent, sources and impact on child malnutrition,” Working Paper 2012-002, UNDP, Regional Bureau for Africa, 2012.
- D. Headey and S. Fan, Reflections on the Global Food Crisis. How Did It Happen? How Has It Hurt? And How Can We Prevent the Next One?International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, DC, USA, 2010.
- G. Hochman, S. Kaplan, D. Rajagopal, and D. Zilberman, “Biofuel and food-commodity prices,” Agriculture, vol. 2, pp. 272–281, 2012.
- FAO, “The state of food and agriculture. Biofuels: prospects, risks and opportunities,” 2008.
- M. W. Rosegrant, S. Msangi, T. Sulser, and R. Valmonted-Santos, “Biofuels and the global food balance,” in Bioenergy and Agriculture: Promises and Challenges, P. Hazell and R. K. Pachauri, Eds., IFPRI, Washington, DC, USA, 2006.
- M. W. Rosegrant, Biofuels and Grain Prices: Impacts and Policy Responses, International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, DC, USA, 2008.
- S. Wiggins, E. Fioretti, J. Keane et al., Review of the Indirect Effects of Biofuels: Economic Benefits and Food Insecurity, Overseas Development Institute, 2008, http://www.dft.gov.uk/rfa/_db/_documents/ODI_Economic_benefits_and_food_insecurity.pdf.
- S. Pfuderer, G. Davies, and I. Mitchell, “The role of demand for biofuel in the agricultural commodity price spikes of 2007/08. Annex 5,” in The 2007/08 Agricultural Price Spikes: Causes and Implications, UK Government, Ed., 2010, http://www.growthenergy.org/images/reports/UKgov_Ag_Price_Spikes.pdf.
- G. Hochman, D. Rajagopal, D. Timilsina, and D. Zilberman, “The role of inventory adjustments in quantifying factors causing food price inflation,” Policy Research Working Paper 5744, Development Research Group, Environment and Energy Team, The World Bank, Washington, DC, USA, August 2008.
- D. M. Arseneau and S. Leduc, “Commodity Price Movements in a General Equilibrium Model of Storage,” Unpublished manuscript, 2012, http://www.imf.org/external/np/seminars/eng/2011/tur/pdf/Arseneau-Leduc.pdf.
- M. W. Masters, Testimony before the Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry, United States Senate, Washington, DC, USA, 2009.
- H. H. Bass, Finanzmärkte als Hungerverursacher?Deutsche Welthungerhilfe e.V., Bonn, Germany, 2011.
- J. von Braun and G. Tadesse, “Global food price volatility and spikes: an overview of costs, causes, and solutions,” ZEF-Discussion Papers on Development Policy 161, University of Bonn Center for Development Research, Bonn, Germany, 2012.
- S. H. Irwin, D. R. Sanders, and R. P. Merrin, “Devil or angel? The role of speculation in the recent commodity price boom (and bust),” Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 377–391, 2009.
- S. H. Irwin and D. R. Sanders, “Testing the Masters hypothesis in commodity futures markets,” Energy Economics, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 256–269, 2012.
- S. H. Irwin and D. R. Sanders, The Impact of Index and Swap Funds on Commodity Futures Markets: Preliminary Results, OECD Publishing, Paris, France, 2010.
- D. R. Sanders and S. H. Irwin, “A speculative bubble in commodity futures prices? Cross-sectional evidence,” Agricultural Economics, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 25–32, 2010.
- H. R. Stoll and R. E. Whaley, “Commodity index investing and commodity futures prices,” Journal of Applied Finance, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 7–46, 2010.
- M. Sassi and A. H. Werner, “Non-commercial actors and the recent futures prices of wheat,” in Proceedings of the 75th International Atlantic Economic Conference, Vienna, Austria, April 2013.
- M. Robles, M. Torero, and J. von Braun, When Speculation Matters, International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, DC, USA, 2009.
- W. C. Labys, E. Kouassi, and M. Terraza, “Short-term cycles in primary commodity prices,” Developing Economies, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 330–342, 2000.
- P. Cashin and C. J. McDermott, “Properties of international commodity prices: identifying trend, cycles and shocks,” in Agricultural Commodity Markets and Trade: New Approaches to Analyzing Market Structure and Instability, A. Sarris and D. Hallam, Eds., pp. 16–30, Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations and Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, UK, 2006.
- L. D. Sterns and T. A. Petry, “Hog market cycles,” North Dakota State Extension Service, EC-1101, January 1996.
- J. D. Lawrence, Profiting from the Cattle Cycle: Alternative Cow Herd Investment Strategies, Iowa Beef Center, AgDM Newsletter Article, Ames, Iowa, USA, 2001.
- R. Schnepf, High Agricultural Commodity Prices: What Are the Issues?Nova Science Publisher, Hauppauge, NY, USA, 2008.
- P. C. Abbott, C. Hurt, and W. E. Tyner, “What's driving food prices?” Farm Foundation, 2008.
- B. D. Wright, “International grain reserves and other instruments to address volatility in grain markets,” Policy Research Working Paper 5028, The World Bank, Washington, DC, USA, 2009.
- B. D. Wright, “The economics of grain price volatility,” Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 32–58, 2011.
- D. Headey and S. Fan, “Anatomy of a crisis: the causes and consequences of surging food prices,” Agricultural Economics, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 375–391, 2008.
- P. C. Abbott, C. Hurt, and W. E. Tyner, “What's driving food prices in 2011?” Farm Foundation, 2011.
- Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD), Economic Assessment of Biofuel Support Policies, OECD, Paris, France, 2008.
- B. Cooke and M. Robles, Recent Food Prices Movements: A Time Series Analysis, International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, DC, USA, 2009.
- C. P. Timmer, “Did speculation affect world rice prices?” ESA Working Paper 09-07, FAO Agricultural Development Economics Division, 2009.
- A. C. Harvey, Forecasting, Structural Time Series Models and the Kalman Filter, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1989.
- S. J. Koopman, “Disturbance smoother for state space models,” Biometrika, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 117–126, 1993.
- S. J. Koopman, N. Shephard, and J. A. Doornik, “Statistical algorithms for models in state space form using SsfPack 2.2,” Econometrics Journal, vol. 2, pp. 113–166, 1999.
- A. C. Harvey and S. J. Koopman, “Diagnostic checking of unobserved components time series models,” Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, vol. 10, pp. 377–389, 1992.
- P. Piro, “Coping with food price volatility,” CTA Policy Brief, no. 5, April 2012.