- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Economics Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 920164, 10 pages
Firm’s Decisions Based on Consumers’ Choices in Ecocertified Food Markets
1Department of Agricultural Development and Agribusiness Management, Alexander Technological Educational Institute of Thessaloniki, P.O. Box 141, 57400 Thessaloniki, Greece
2Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, 156 Egnatia Street, 54006 Thessaloniki, Greece
Received 29 December 2012; Accepted 28 January 2013
Academic Editor: Anthony N. Rezitis
Copyright © 2013 Philippos Karipidis and Eftichios Sartzetakis. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Iraldo, F. Testa, and M. Frey, “Is an environmental management system able to influence environmental andcompetitive performance? The case of the eco-management and audit scheme (EMAS) in the European union,” Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 17, no. 16, pp. 1444–1452, 2009.
- M. A. Berry and D. A. Rondinelli, “Proactive corporate environmental management: a new industrial revolution,” Academy of Management Executive, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 38–50, 1998.
- C. Bratt, S. Hallstedt, K. H. Robèrt, G. Broman, and J. Oldmark, “Assessment of eco-labelling criteria development from a strategic sustainability perspective,” Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 19, no. 14, pp. 1631–1638, 2011.
- A. K. Basu, N. H. Chau, and U. Grote, “Eco-labeling and stages of development,” Review of Development Economics, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 228–247, 2003.
- D. Bougherara, G. Grolleau, and L. Thiébaut, “Can labelling policies do more harm than good? An analysis applied to environmental labelling schemes,” European Journal of Law and Economics, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 5–16, 2005.
- OECD, Greening Household Behavior: The Role of Public Policy, OECD Publication, Paris, France, 2011.
- J. Lozano, E. Blanco, and J. Rey-Maquieira, “Can eco-labels survive in the long run? The role of initial conditions,” Ecological Economics, vol. 69, pp. 2525–2534, 2010.
- C. R. Wessells, R. J. Johnston, and H. Donath, “Assessing consumer preferences for ecolabeled seafood: the influence of species, certifier, and household attributes,” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 1084–1089, 1999.
- R. Govindasamy and J. Italia, “A willingness-to-purchase comparison of integrated pest management and conventional produce,” Agribusiness, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 403–414, 1998.
- J. R. Blend and E. O. van Ravenswaay, “Measuring consumer demand for ecolabeled apples,” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 1072–1077, 1999.
- E. Magnusson and J. A. L. Cranfield, “Consumer demand for pesticide free food products in Canada: a probit analysis,” Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 67–81, 2005.
- D. Brécard, B. Hlaimi, S. Lucas, Y. Perraudeau, and F. Salladarré, “Determinants of demand for green products: an application to eco-label demand for fish in Europe,” Ecological Economics, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 115–125, 2009.
- G. Grankvist and A. Biel, “Predictors of purchase of eco-labelled food products: a panel study,” Food Quality and Preference, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 701–708, 2007.
- C. Souza, M. Taghian, P. Lamb, and R. Peretiatko, “Green decisions: demographics and consumer understanding of environmental labels,” International Journal of Consumer Studies, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 371–376, 2007.
- M. M. Mostafa, “Gender differences in Egyptian consumers’ green purchase behaviour: the effects of environmental knowledge, concern and attitude,” International Journal of Consumer Studies, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 220–229, 2007.
- M. van Amstel, P. Driessen, and P. Glasbergen, “Eco-labeling and information asymmetry: a comparison of five eco-labels in the Netherlands,” Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 263–276, 2008.
- K. L. Jensen, P. M. Jakus, B. C. English, and J. Menard, “Consumers’ willingness to pay for eco-certified wood products,” Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 617–626, 2004.
- M. L. Loureiro and J. Lotade, “Do fair trade and eco-labels in coffee wake up the consumer conscience?” Ecological Economics, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 129–138, 2005.
- A. Krystallis, C. Fotopoulos, and Y. Zotos, “Organic consumers' profile and their willingness to pay (WTP) for selected organic food products in Greece,” Journal of International Consumer Marketing, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 81–106, 2006.
- R. P. Vlosky, L. K. Ozanne, and R. J. Fontenot, “A conceptual model of US consumer willingness-to-pay for environmentally certified wood products,” Journal of Consumer Marketing, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 122–136, 1999.
- M. L. Loureiro, J. J. McClunsky, and R. C. Mittelhamer, “Will consumers pay a premium for eco-labelled apples?” Journal of Consumer Affairs, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 203–219, 2002.
- A. Botonaki, K. Polymeros, E. Tsakiridou, and K. Mattas, “The role of food quality certification on consumers' food choices,” British Food Journal, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 77–90, 2006.
- E. Barnard and A. Mitra, “A contingent valuation method to measure the willingness to pay for eco-labelled products,” Proceedings of the Academy for Economics and Economic Studies, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 5–10, 2010.
- W. Moon, W. J. Florkowski, B. Brückner, and I. Schonhof, “Willingness to pay for environmental practices: implications for eco-labeling,” Land Economics, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 88–102, 2002.
- F. Akaichi Jr., R. M. Nayga, and J. M. Gil, “Assessing consumers’ willingness to pay for different units of organic milk: evidence from multiunit auctions,” Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 60, pp. 469–494, 2012.
- A. McWilliams and D. Siegel, “Corporate social responsibility: a theory of the firm perspective,” Academy of Management Review, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 117–127, 2001.
- J. M. Antle, “Economic analysis of food safety,” in Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Volume 1B, Marketing, Distribution and Consumers, B. Gardner and G. Rausser, Eds., pp. 1083–1136, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2001.
- D. A. Aaker, Building Strong Brands, Free Press, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- D. L. Reiney, Sustainable Business Development, Inventing the Future through Strategy, Innovation, and Leadership, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2008.
- M. E. Porter and M. R. Kramer, “Creating shared value,” Harvard Business Review, vol. January-February, pp. 1–17, 2011.
- S. James and M. Burton, “Consumer preferences for GM food and other attributes of the food system,” Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 501–518, 2003.
- D. McFadden, “The choice theory approach to market research,” Marketing Science, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 275–297, 1986.
- H. Trijp van, J. B. Steencamp, and M. J. Candel, “Quality labeling as instrument to create product equity: the case of IKB in Netherlands,” in Agricultural Marketing and Consumer Behavior in a Changing World, B. Wiera, A. Tilburg, K. Grunert, J. B. Steenkamp, and M. Wedel, Eds., pp. 201–215, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, Mass, USA, 1997.
- P. Karipidis, E. Tsakiridou, S. Aggelopoulos, and A. Belidis, “Cosumers’ purchasing and store switching intentions in respect of eco-marked products,” International Journal of Economics and Business Research, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 511–524, 2010.
- S. Commuri and J. W. Gentry, “Opportunities for family research in marketing,” AMS Review, vol. 2000, no. 8, 2000, http://www.amsreview.org/articles/commuri08-2000.pdf.
- A. Diamantopoulos, B. B. Schlegelmilch, R. R. Sinkovics, and G. M. Bohlen, “Can socio-demographics still play a role in profiling green consumers? A review of the evidence and an empirical investigation,” Journal of Business Research, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 465–480, 2003.
- J. Aertsens, K. Mondelaers, and G. van Huylenbroeck, “Differences in retail strategies on the emerging organic market,” British Food Journal, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 138–154, 2009.
- J. Roosen, J. Lusk, and J. Fox, “Consumer demand for and attitudes toward alternative beef labelling strategies in France, Germany, and the U.K.,” Agribusiness, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 77–90, 2003.
- D. Bougherara and P. Combris, “Eco-labelled food products: what are consumers paying for?” European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 321–341, 2009.