- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Economics Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 320949, 10 pages
Exchange Rate Movement and Foreign Direct Investment in Asean Economies
School of Business and Economics, Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Jalan UMS, 88400 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
Received 29 November 2013; Revised 24 February 2014; Accepted 2 March 2014; Published 30 March 2014
Academic Editor: Junsoo Lee
Copyright © 2014 Jaratin Lily et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. W. Cho, “Foreign direct investment: determinants, trends in flows and promotion policies,” in Investment Promotion and Enterprise Development Bulletin for Asia and the Pacific, K. Lakshminarayanan, Ed., no.1, pp. 99–112, ESCAP Works Towards Reducing Poverty and Managing Globalization, United Nations, 2003, http://www.unescap.org/tid/publication/indpub2259.pdf.
- I. A. Moosa, Foreign Direct Investment: Theory, Evidence and Practice, Palgrave, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- J. B. Ang, “Determinants of foreign direct investment in Malaysia,” Journal of Policy Modeling, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 185–189, 2008.
- R. Farrell, N. Gaston, and J.-E. Sturm, “Determinants of Japan's foreign direct investment: an industry and country panel study, 1984–1998,” Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 161–182, 2004.
- M. Kogid, J. Lily, R. Asid, D. Mulok, and N. Loganathan, “Economic growth and foreign direct investment in Malaysia: evidence from empirical testing,” International Journal Asian Business Economies, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2011.
- B. S. Lee and B. S. Min, “Exchange rates and FDI strategies of multinational enterprises,” Pacific Basin Finance Journal, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 586–603, 2011.
- J. M. Luiz and H. Charalambous, “Factors influencing foreign direct investment of South African financial services firms in Sub-Saharan Africa,” International Business Review, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 305–317, 2009.
- D. Shapiro and S. Globerman, “Foreign investment policies and capital flows in Canada: a sectoral analysis,” Journal of Business Research, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 779–790, 2003.
- B. A. Blonigen, “Firm-specific assets and the link between exchange rates and foreign direct investment,” The American Economic Review, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 447–465, 1997.
- K. Froot and J. Stein, “Exchange rates and foreign direct investment: an imperfect capital markets approach,” Quarterly Journal of Economics, vol. 106, no. 4, pp. 1191–1217, 1991.
- B. Kogut and S. J. Chang, “Platform investments and volatile exchange rates: direct investment in the U.S. by Japanese electronic companies,” Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 221–231, 1996.
- W. H. Liu, “Determinants of FDI inflows to China: an empirical analysis of source country characteristics,” Paper Presented at Taipei International Conference on Growth, Trade and Dynamics, 2010.
- T. S. Osinubi and L. A. Amaghionyeodiwe, “Foreign direct investment and exchange rate volatility in Nigeria,” International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, vol. 2, pp. 83–116, 2009.
- O. G. Wafure and A. Nurudeen, “Determinants of foreign direct investment in Nigeria: an empirical analysis,” Global Journal of Human Social Science, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 26–34, 2010.
- R. E. Caves, “Exchange rate movements and foreign direct investment in the united states,” in The Internationalization of US Markets, D. Audretsch and M. Claudon, Eds., New York University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1989.
- S. Dees, “Foreign direct investment in China: determinants and effects,” Economics of Planning, vol. 31, no. 2-3, pp. 175–194, 1998.
- J. L. Combes, T. Kinda, and P. Plane, “Capital flows, exchange rate flexibility, and the real exchange rate,” Journal of Macroeconomics, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 1034–1043, 2012.
- C. A. Ibarra, “Capital flows and real exchange rate appreciation in Mexico,” World Development, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 2080–2090, 2011.
- J. Jongwanich and A. Kohpaiboon, “Capital flows and real exchange rates in emerging Asian countries,” Journal of Asian Economics, vol. 24, pp. 138–146, 2013.
- R. Albuquerque, N. Loayza, and L. Servén, “World market integration through the lens of foreign direct investors,” Journal of International Economics, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 267–295, 2005.
- S. Y. Chia, “ASEAN strategies on foreign direct investment and prospects for ASEAN-India investments,” Journal of Asian Economics, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 701–721, 1996.
- UNCTAD (2011), The World Investment Report, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, New York, NY, USA and Geneva, Switzerland, http://unctad.org.
- A. N. Berdiev, Y. Kim, and C. P. Chang, “The political economy of exchange rate regimes in developed and developing countries,” European Journal of Political Economy, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 38–53, 2012.
- A. Kanas, “Real or monetary? The US/UK real exchange rate, 1921–2002,” Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 21–38, 2005.
- C. H. Lin, “Exchange rate exposure in the Asian emerging markets,” Journal of Multinational Financial Management, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 224–238, 2011.
- J. J. Choi and B. N. Jeon, “Financial factors in foreign direct investments: a dynamic analysis of international data,” Research in International Business and Finance, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2007.
- C. C. Hsu, J. Y. Wu, and R. Yau, “Foreign direct investment and business cycle co-movements: The panel data evidence,” Journal of Macroeconomics, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 770–783, 2011.
- G. Stevens, “Exchange rates and foreign direct investment: a note,” Journal of Policy Modeling, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 393–340, 1998.
- I. M. Baek and T. Okawa, “Foreign exchange rates and Japanese foreign direct investment in Asia,” Journal of Economics and Business, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 69–84, 2001.
- M. D. Chinn, “The (partial) rehabilitation of interest rate parity in the floating rate era: Longer horizons, alternative expectations, and emerging markets,” Journal of International Money and Finance, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 7–21, 2006.
- S. Ali and W. Guo, “Determinants of FDI in China,” Journal of Global Business and Technology, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 21–33, 2005.
- N. Vijayakumar, P. Sridharan, and K. C. S. Rao, “Determinants of FDI in BRICS countries: a panel analysis,” International Journal of Business Science and Applied Management, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 1–13, 2010.
- L. L. Chong and H. B. Tan, “Exchange rate risk and macroeconomic fundamentals: evidence from four neighbouring southeast asian economies,” International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, vol. 16, pp. 88–95, 2008.
- Y. Xing, “Why is China so attractive for FDI? The role of exchange rates,” China Economic Review, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 198–209, 2006.
- D. E. Thomas and R. Grosse, “Country-of-origin determinants of foreign direct investment in an emerging market: the case of Mexico,” Journal of International Management, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 59–79, 2001.
- J. P. Agarwal, “Determinants of foreign direct investment: a survey,” Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 739–773, 1980.
- J. H. Love and F. Lage-Hidalgo, “Analysing the determinants of US direct investment in Mexico,” Applied Economics, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1259–1267, 2000.
- Y. Pan, “The inflow of foreign direct investment to China: the impact of country-specific factors,” Journal of Business Research, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 829–833, 2003.
- S. Takagi and Z. Shi, “Exchange rate movements and foreign direct investment (FDI): Japanese investment in Asia, 1987–2008,” Japan and the World Economy, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 265–272, 2011.
- L. Alfaro, A. Chanda, S. Kalemli-Ozcan, and S. Sayek, “FDI and economic growth: the role of local financial markets,” Journal of International Economics, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 89–112, 2004.
- R. Aggarwal and J. T. Harper, “Foreign exchange exposure of “domestic” corporations,” Journal of International Money and Finance, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1619–1636, 2010.
- J. Aizenman, M. Hutchison, and I. Noy, “Inflation targeting and real exchange rates in emerging markets,” World Development, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 712–724, 2011.
- M. A. Yol and N. Teng, “Estimating the domestic determinants of foreign direct investment flows in malaysia: evidence from cointegration and error-correction model,” Jurnal Pengurusan, vol. 29, pp. 3–22, 2009.
- P. L. Tsai, “Determinants of foreign direct investment in Taiwan: an alternative approach with time-series data,” World Development, vol. 19, no. 2-3, pp. 275–285, 1991.
- R. F. Engle and C. W. J. Granger, “Cointegration and error correction representation, estimation and testing,” Econometrica, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 251–276, 1987.
- D. A. Dickey and W. A. Fuller, “Distribution of the estimation for autoregressive time series with a unit root,” Journal of the American Association, vol. 74, pp. 427–431, 1979.
- P. C. B. Phillips and P. Perron, “Testing for a unit root in time series regression,” Biometrika, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 335–346, 1988.
- G. Elliott, T. J. Rothenberg, and J. H. Stock, “Efficient tests for an autoregressive unit root,” Econometrica, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 813–836, 1996.
- M. H. Pesaran, Y. Shin, and R. J. Smith, “Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships,” Journal of Applied Econometrics, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 289–326, 2001.
- A. Banerjee, J. J. Dolado, and R. Mestre, “Error-correction mechanism tests for cointegration in a single-equation framework,” Journal of Time Series Analysis, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 267–283, 1998.
- M. H. Pesaran and Y. Shin, “An autoregressive distributed lag modelling approach to cointegration analysis,” in Econometrics and Economic theory in the 20th Century: The Ragnar Frisch Centennial Symposium, S. Strom, Ed., chapter 11, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1999.