- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Education Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 265293, 6 pages
The Study of Teacher Efficacy in Hong Kong Sub-Degree Sector
Li Ka Shing Institute of Professional and Continuing Education, Open University of Hong Kong, 4/F, Shun Tak Centre, 168 Connaught Road Central, Hong Kong
Received 15 October 2012; Revised 15 November 2012; Accepted 19 November 2012
Academic Editor: Hoi Yan Cheung
Copyright © 2012 Wai-Hung Lam. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- University Grants Committee (UGC), “Aspirations for the higher education system in Hong Kong,” Report of the University Grants Committee, UGC, Hong Kong, 2010, http://www.ugc.edu.hk/eng/ugc/publication/report/her2010/her2010.htm.
- Information Portal for Accredited Post-secondary Programme (IPASS), “Statistics on full-time accredited self-financing post-secondary programmes and students,” IPASS, Hong Kong, 2012, http://www.ipass.gov.hk/edb/index.php/en/home/statheader/stat.
- B. Joyce and B. Showers, Student Achievement Through Staff Development, Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, Alexandria, Va, USA, 2002.
- H. Y. Cheung, “Teacher efficacy: a comparative study of Hong Kong and Shanghai primary in-service teachers,” Australian Educational Researcher, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 103–123, 2008.
- H. Y. Cheung, “The measurement of teacher efficacy: Hong Kong primary in-service teachers,” Journal of Education for Teaching, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 435–451, 2006.
- R. Marzano, What Works in Schools: Translating Research in Action, Association for Supervision and Curriculum Department, Alexandria, Va, USA, 2003.
- M. Tschannen-Moran and A. W. Hoy, “Teacher efficacy: capturing an elusive construct,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 783–805, 2001.
- D. Armor, P. Conroy-Oseguera, M. Cox et al., “Analysis of the school preferred reading programs in selected Los Angeles minority schools,” Tech. Rep. R-2007-LAUSD, Rand Corporation, Santa Monica, Calif, USA, 1976, ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. 130 243.
- J. B. Rotter, “Generalized expectancies for internal versus external control of reinforcement,” Psychological Monographs, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 1–28, 1966.
- G. Barnes, “Self-efficacy and teaching effectiveness,” Journal of String Research, vol. 1, pp. 627–643, 2000.
- L. C. Duffin, B. F. French, and H. Patrick, “A confirmatory factor analysis of pre-service teacher scores from the teachers' sense of efficacy scale,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 28, pp. 827–834, 2012.
- A. Bandura, “Self-efficacy: toward a unifying theory of behavioral change,” Psychological Review, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 191–215, 1977.
- D. Stipek, Motivation to Learn: Integrating Theory and Practice, Allyn and Bacon, Boston, Mass, USA, 4th edition, 2002.
- A. E. Woolfolk, Educational Psychology, Allyn and Bacon, Boston, Mass, USA, 11th edition, 2010.
- A. B. Dellinger, J. J. Bobbett, D. F. Olivier, and C. D. Ellett, “Measuring teachers' self-efficacy beliefs: development and use of the TEBS-Self,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 751–766, 2008.
- E. M. Skaalvik and S. Skaalvik, “Dimensions of teacher self-efficacy and relations with strain factors, perceived collective teacher efficacy, and teacher burnout,” Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 611–625, 2007.
- C. A. Wolters and S. G. Daugherty, “Goal structures and teachers' sense of efficacy: their relation and association to teaching experience and academic level,” Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 181–193, 2007.
- D. M. Szal, “The relationship of administrative behaviors and characteristics with teachers' general and personal efficacy,” National Social Science Journal, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 145–152, 2010.
- H. L. Lin and J. Gorrell, “Exploratory analysis of pre-service teacher efficacy in Taiwan,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 623–635, 2001.
- R. M. Klassen, V. M. C. Tze, S. M. Betts, and K. A. Gordon, “Teacher efficacy research 1998–2009: signs of progress or unfulfilled promise?” Educational Psychology Review, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 21–43, 2011.
- G. J. Visser-Wijnveen, A. S. Stes, and P. V. Petegem, “Development and validation of a questionnaire measuring teachers' motivations for teaching in higher education,” Higher Education, vol. 64, pp. 421–436, 2012.
- K. E. Dunn and G. C. Rakes, “Teaching teachers: an investigation of beliefs in teacher education students,” Learning Environments Research, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 39–58, 2011.
- F. F. Fuller, “Concerns of teachers: a developmental conceptualization,” American Education Research Journal, vol. 6, pp. 207–226, 1969.
- M. McKinney, T. Sexton, and M. J. Meyerson, “Validating the efficacy-based change model,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 471–485, 1999.
- M. Tschannen-Moran, A. W. Hoy, and W. K. Hoy, “Teacher efficacy: its meaning and measure,” Review of Educational Research, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 202–248, 1998.
- B. Weiner, “A cognitive (attribution)-emotion-action model of motivated behavior: an analysis of judgements of help-giving,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 39, pp. 186–200, 1980.
- J. A. Ross, “The antecedents and consequences of teacher efficacy,” in Advances in Research on Teaching, J. Brophy, Ed., vol. 7, pp. 49–74, JAI Press, Greenwich, Conn, USA, 1998.
- P. Wilson and G. C. I. Tan, “Singapore teachers' Personal and General Efficacy for teaching primary social studies,” International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 209–222, 2004.
- M. J. de la Torre Cruz and P. F. Casanova Arias, “Comparative analysis of expectancies of efficacy in in-service and prospective teachers,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 641–652, 2007.
- M. C. Tejeda-Delgado, “Teacher efficacy, tolerance, gender, and years of experience and special education referrals,” International Journal of Special Education, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 112–119, 2009.
- L. S. Yeo, R. P. Ang, W. H. Chong, V. S. Huan, and C. L. Quek, “Teacher efficacy in the context of teaching low achieving students,” Current Psychology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 192–204, 2008.
- W. K. Hoy and A. E. Woolfolk, “Teachers' sense of efficacy and the organizational health of schools,” The Elementary School Journal, vol. 93, pp. 356–372, 1993.
- A. Bandura, Guide for Constructing Self-Efficacy Scales, Stanford University, Standford, Calif, USA, 1990.
- S. Gibson and M. H. Dembo, “Teacher efficacy: a construct validation,” Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 569–582, 1984.
- N. Tournaki and D. M. Podell, “The impact of student characteristics and teacher efficacy on teachers' predictions of student success,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 299–314, 2005.
- E. Pas, C. P. Bradshaw, and P. A. Hershfeldt, “Teacher- and school-level predictors of teacher efficacy and burnout: identifying potential areas of support,” Journal of School Psychology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 129–145, 2012.
- C. Maslach and S. E. Jackson, “The measurement of experienced burnout,” Journal of Occupational Behavior, vol. 2, pp. 99–113, 1981.
- J. A. Ross, J. B. Cousins, and T. Gadalla, “Within-teacher predictors of teacher efficacy,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 385–400, 1996.
- L. Ingvarson, M. Meiers, and A. Beavis, “Factors affecting the impact of professional development programs on teachers' knowledge, practice, student outcomes & efficacy,” Education Policy Analysis Archives, vol. 13, pp. 1–28, 2005.