- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Education Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 635964, 8 pages
Indicators of Achievement in EFL Classes at a Taiwanese University
1Language Center, Soochow University, Wai-Shuang Hsi, Taipei 111, Taiwan
2Department of Child Psychiatry, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Linkao Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Tauyuan 333, Taiwan
Received 4 March 2012; Revised 15 July 2012; Accepted 15 July 2012
Academic Editor: Eric Z. F. Liu
Copyright © 2012 Brent Allan Kelsen and Hsin-yi Liang. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Deci and R. Ryan, Intrinsic Motivation and Self-Determination in Human Behavior, Plenum, New York, NY, USA, 1985.
- R. C. Gardner, Social Psychology and Second Language Learning: The Role of Attitudes and Motivation, Edward Arnold, London, UK, 1985.
- Z. Dörnyei, “Motivation and motivating in the foreign language classroom,” Modern Language Journal, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 273–284, 1994.
- R. C. Gardner, P. F. Tremblay, and A.-M. Masgorét, “Towards a full model of second language learning: an empirical investigation,” Modern Language Journal, vol. 81, pp. 344–362, 1997.
- Y. S. Cheng, E. K. Horwitz, and D. L. Schallert, “Language anxiety: differentiating writing and speaking components,” Language Learning, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 417–446, 1999.
- R. C. Gardner, “Correlation, causation, motivation, and second language acquisition,” Canadian Psychology, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 10–24, 2000.
- C. Chang, S. Liu, and Y. Lee, “A study of language learning strategies used by college EFL learners in Taiwan,” pp. 235–262, July 2007, http://www.mdu.edu.tw/~ged/other%20download/bulletin/20070319/11.pdf.
- S. Hsu, “Business English learning motivation and effort on proficiency among junior college students,” Nanya Education Report, no. 25, pp. 119–131, 2005, http://ir.lib.tiit.edu.tw/handle/987654321/124.
- S. Krashen, “Extensive reading in English as a foreign language by adolescents and young adults: a meta-analysis,” International Journal of Foreign Language Teaching, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 23–29, 2007.
- S. Y. Lee and S. Krashen, “Predictors of success in writing in English as a foreign language: reading, revision behavior, apprehension, and writing,” The College Student Journal, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 532–543, 2002.
- S. Y. Lee, “Facilitating and inhibiting factors in english as a foreign language writing performance: a model testing with structural equation modeling,” Language Learning, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 335–374, 2005.
- V. Cook, “Evidence for multicompetence,” Language Learning, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 557–591, 1992.
- T. A. Upton and L. Lee-Thompson, “The role of the first language in second language reading,” Studies in Second Language Reading, vol. 23, pp. 469–495, 2001.
- R. G. Kern, “The role of mental translation in second language reading,” Studies in Second Language Acquisition, vol. 16, pp. 441–461, 1994.
- S. J. Gibb, D. M. Fergusson, and L. J. Horwood, “Gender differences in educational achievement to age 25,” Australian Journal of Education, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 63–80, 2008.
- J. Liu and J. Chen, “The equalization pattern and process of gender educational inequality in Taiwan: some evidence for the threshold hypothesis,” Journal of US—China Public Administration, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 52–61, 2009.
- H. Park and P. Kerr, “Determinants of academic performance: a multinomial logit approach,” Journal of Economic Education, vol. 21, pp. 101–111, 1990.
- J. R. Rodgers, “A panel-data study of the effect of student attendance on university performance,” Australian Journal of Education, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 284–295, 2001.
- T. F. Lin and J. Chen, “Cumulative class attendance and exam performance,” Applied Economics Letters, vol. 13, no. 14, pp. 937–942, 2006.
- M. H. Salisbury and R. D. Padgett, “Examining the effects of work on college student experiences and liberal arts outcomes,” in Proceedings of the 49th annual Association of Institutional Research Forum, Atlanta, Ga, USA, June 2009.
- G. R. Pike, G. D. Kuh, and R. C. Massa-McKinley, “First-year students’ employment, engagement, and academic achievement: untangling the relationship between work and grades,” Journal of Student Affairs Research and Practice, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 560–582, 2008.
- L. Condelli and H. Wrigley, “Instruction, language and literacy: what works study for adult ESL literacy students,” 2003, http://lotos.library.uu.nl/publish/articles/000176/bookpart.pdf.
- K. A. Noels, R. Clément, and L. G. Pelletier, “Intrinsic, extrinsic, and integrative orientations of French Canadian learners of English,” Canadian Modern Language Review, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 424–440, 2000.
- H. Akaike, “A new look at the statistical model identification,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 716–723, 1974.
- R Development Core Team, “R: a language and environment for statistical computing, reference index version 2.11.1,” R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria, 2005, http://www.r-project.org/.
- Taipei Times, “CEEC to introduce new English test for high school students,” 2010, http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2010/12/28/2003492078.