- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Education Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 712149, 16 pages
Leadership Practices in Effective Schools in Disadvantaged Areas of Canada
Fondements et Pratiques en Éducation, Faculté des Sciences de l'Éducation, Université Laval, 2320 Rue des Bibliothèques, Québec, QC, Canada G1V 0A6
Received 7 September 2012; Revised 4 November 2012; Accepted 6 November 2012
Academic Editor: Hoi Yan Cheung
Copyright © 2012 Yamina Bouchamma. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. A. Alston, “The many faces of American schooling: effective schools research and border-crossing in the 21st century,” American Secondary Education, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 79–93, 2004.
- I. Bogotch, L. Mirón, and G. Biesta, “Effective for what, effective for whom? Two questions SESI should not ignore,” in International Handbook of School Effectiveness and School Improvement, T. Townsend, Ed., pp. 93–110, Springer, Boston, Mass, USA, 2007.
- D. U. Levine and L. W. Lezotte, “Effective schools research,” in Handbook of Research on Multicultural Education, J. Banks and C. McGee, Eds., pp. 525–547, MacMillan, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- K. Leithwood, K. S. Louis, S. Anderson, and K. Wahlstrom, How Leadership Influences Student Learning: Review of Research, The Wallace Foundation, New York, NY, USA, 2004.
- Ontario Ministry of Education, “Réforme à grande échelle de l’éducation par le perfectionnement des enseignantes et des enseignants et le développement du leadership dans tout le système,” 2008, http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/fre/research/leadershipCSSE_fr.pdf.
- Ontario Ministry of Education, “Diriger la réussite des élèves,” 2009, http://www.curriculum.org/LSA/aboutf.shtml.
- New Brunswick, Department of Education, “Province takes action in literacy, numeracy and science for francophone students,” 2008, http://www.gnb.ca/cnb/news/edu/2008e0571ed.htm.
- Québec Ministère de l’Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport, “Launch and integration of elementary schools and new secondary schools participating in the New Approaches,” New Solutions intervention strategy in 2007–2008, 2008, http://www.mels.gouv.qc.ca/agirautrement/FeuilletSIAA_a.pdf.
- P. Hallinger and R. H. Heck, “Reassessing the principal's role in school effectiveness: a review of empirical research, 1980–1995,” Educational Administration Quarterly, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 5–44, 1996.
- D. Reynolds, B. Creemers, S. Stringfield, C. Teddlie, and G. Schaffer, “World class schools,” in International Perspectives on School Effectiveness, Routledge-Falmer, London, UK, 2002.
- T. Waters, R. J. Marzano, and B. McNulty, “Balanced leadership: what 30 years of research tells us about the effect of leadership on student achievement,” Mid-continent Research for Education and Learning, Aurora, Colo, USA, 2003, http://www.mcrel.org/.
- K. Leithwood, C. Day, P. Sammons, A. Harris, and D. Hopkins, “Successful school leadership: what it is and how it influences pupil learning,” Tech. Rep., DfES and Nottingham, London, UK, 2006.
- K. Leithwood, “The emotional side of school improvement: a leadership perspective,” in International Handbook on School Effectiveness and Improvement, T. Townsend, Ed., pp. 615–634, Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2007.
- V. M. J. Robinson, C. A. Lloyd, and K. J. Rowe, “The impact of leadership on student outcomes: an analysis of the differential effects of leadership types,” Educational Administration Quarterly, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 635–674, 2008.
- K. Leithwood and B. Levin, “Assessing school leaders and leadership programme effects on pupil learning,” DfES Research Report 662, DfES, London, UK, 2005.
- J. B. Anderson, “Principals' role and public primary schools' effectiveness in four Latin American cities,” Elementary School Journal, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 36–60, 2008.
- H. Silins and W. R. Mulford, “Leadership and school effectiveness and improvement,” in International Handbook of School Effectiveness and Improvement, T. Townsend, Ed., pp. 635–658, Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2007.
- N. Engels, G. Hotton, G. Devos, D. Bouckenooghe, and A. Aelterman, “Principals in schools with a positive school culture,” Educational Studies, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 159–174, 2008.
- K. S. Crum and W. H. Sherman, “Facilitating high achievement: high school principals' reflections on their successful leadership practices,” Journal of Educational Administration, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 562–580, 2008.
- P. Hallinger and R. Heck, “Next generation methods for the study of leadership and school improvement,” in Handbook of Research on Educational Administration, J. Murphy and K. S. Louis, Eds., pp. 141–162, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, Calif, USA, 2nd edition, 1999.
- J. D. Bamburg and R. L. Andrews, “School goals, principals, and achievement,” School Effectiveness and School Improvement, vol. 2, pp. 175–191, 1991.
- D. J. Brewer, “Principals and student outcomes: evidence from U.S. high schools,” Economics of Education Review, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 281–292, 1993.
- R. H. Heck, G. A. Marcoulides, and P. Lang, “Principal instructional leadership and school achievement: the application of discriminant techniques,” School Effectiveness and School Improvement, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 115–135, 1991.
- R. H. Heck, T. J. Larsen, and G. A. Marcoulides, “Instructional leadership and school achievement: validation of a causal model,” Educational Administration Quarterly, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 94–125, 1990.
- E. B. Goldring and R. Pasternak, “Principals' survival with parental involvement,” School Effectiveness and School Improvement, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 342–360, 1996.
- V. M. J. Robinson, “Embedding leadership in task performance,” in Leadership For Quality Schooling: International Perspectives, K. Wong and C. Evers, Eds., pp. 90–102, Falmer, London, UK, 2001.
- K. Leithwood and D. Montgomery, “The role of the elementary principal in program improvement,” Review of Educational Research, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 309–339, 1982.
- H. M. Marks and S. M. Printy, “Principal leadership and school performance: an integration of transformational and instructional leadership,” Educational Administration Quarterly, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 370–397, 2003.
- N. E. Friedkin and M. R. Slater, “School leadership and performance: a social network approach,” Sociology of Education, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 139–157, 1994.
- R. H. Heck, “Principals’instructional leadership and school performance: implications for policy development,” Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 21–34, 1992.
- R. W. Eberts and J. A. Stone, “Student achievement in public schools: do principals make a difference?” Economics of Education Review, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 291–299, 1988.
- B. Berg, Qualitative Research Methods for the Social Sciences, Allyn & Bacon, Needham Heights, Mass, USA, 4th edition, 2001.
- E. Chambers, “Applied ethnography,” in Handbook of Qualitative Research, N. F. Denzin and Y. S. Lincoln, Eds., pp. 851–869, Sage, Thousand Oaks, Calif, USA, 2000.
- C. Marshall and G. B. Rossman, Designing Qualitative Research, Sage, London, UK, 3rd edition, 1999.
- S. B. Merriam, Qualitative Research and Case Study Applications in Education, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, Calif, USA, 1998.
- C. Werthe, “Élaboration et formalisation de l’expérience professionnelle: l’instruction au sosie,” Dialogue, vol. 86, pp. 41–42, 1997.
- P. Vermersch, L’entretien d’Explicitation, ESF, Paris, France, 1994.
- P. Vermersch and M. Maurel, Eds., Pratiques de l’Entretien d'Explicitation, ESF, Paris, France, 1997.
- J. M. Van der Maren, Méthodes de Recherche pour l’Éducation, les Presses de l’Université de Montréal, Montréal, Canada, 1995.
- R. E. Boyatzis, Transforming Qualitative Information: Thematic Analysis and Code Development, Sage, Thousand Oaks, Calif, USA, 1998.
- M. Miles and M. Huberman, Analyse des Données Qualitatives, De Boeck Universiteé, Bruxelles, Belgium, 2003.
- D. M. Daley and M. L. Vasu, “Supervisory perceptions of the impact of public sector personnel practices on the achievement of multiple goal putting the strategic into human resource management,” American Review of Public Administration, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 157–167, 2005.
- K. Haycock, “Closing the achievement gap,” Principal, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 20–23, 2002.
- V. Myers and C. Kline, “Secondary school intervention assistance teams: can they be effective?” The High School Journal, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 33–42, 2002.
- M. D. Chester and B. Q. Beaudin, “Efficacy beliefs of newly hired teachers in urban schools,” American Educational Research Journal, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 233–257, 1996.
- D. Fisher and N. Frey, “Five lessons for leaders,” Principal Leadership, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 53–55, 2002.
- New Brunswick, Department of Education, “When kids come first. A challenge to all New Brunswickers to built Canada’s best education system new vision for public education in New Brunswick,” 2007, http://www.gnb.ca/0000/kidsfirst-f.asp.
- Ontario Ministry of Education, “Bien faire mieux faire!,” Rapport du Groupe sur les Écoles Efficaces Groupe D'Étude sur les Écoles Efficaces, Ontario, Canada.