- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Emergency Medicine International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 320309, 8 pages
Diagnosis and Management of Bacterial Meningitis in the Paediatric Population: A Review
1Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick, NSW, Australia
2Intensive Care Unit, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW 2065, Australia
Received 3 March 2012; Accepted 3 August 2012
Academic Editor: Chamisa Macindoe
Copyright © 2012 Catherine L. Tacon and Oliver Flower. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. P. Novelli, M. Peters, and S. Dobson, “Infectious diseases,” in Care of the Critically Ill Child, A. J. Macnab, D. J. Macrae, and R. Henning, Eds., pp. 281–298, Churchill Livingstone, London, UK, 1999.
- K. Edmond, A. Clark, V. S. Korczak, C. Sanderson, U. K. Griffiths, and I. Rudan, “Global and regional risk of disabling sequelae from bacterial meningitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 317–328, 2010.
- X. M. Saez-Llorens and X. M. GH, “Acute bacterial meningitis beyond the neonatal period,” in Long: Principles and Practice of Pediatric Infectious Diseases Revised Reprint, S. Long, Ed., pp. 284–291, Churchill Livingstone, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 3rd edition, 2008.
- M. C. Brouwer, A. R. Tunkel, and D. van de Beek, “Epidemiology, diagnosis, and antimicrobial treatment of acute bacterial meningitis,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 467–492, 2010.
- J. Reefhuis, M. A. Honein, C. G. Whitney et al., “Risk of bacterial meningitis in children with cochlear implants,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 349, no. 5, pp. 435–445, 2003.
- WHO, “Bacterial Meningitis,” New and Under-utilized Vaccines Implementation (NUVI), 2010, http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/CG102.
- M. E. Santolaya, M. L. O'Ryan, M. T. Valenzuela, et al., “Immunogenicity and tolerability of a multicomponent meningococcal serogroup B (4CMenB) vaccine in healthy adolescents in Chile: a phase 2b/3 randomised, observer-blind, placebo-controlled study,” The Lancet, vol. 379, no. 9816, pp. 617–624, 2012.
- N. Gossger, M. D. Snape, L. M. Yu, et al., “Immunogenicity and tolerability of recombinant serogroup B meningococcal vaccine administered with or without routine infant vaccinations according to different immunization schedules: a randomized controlled trial,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, no. 6, pp. 573–582, 2012.
- A. R. Tunkel, B. J. Hartman, S. L. Kaplan et al., “Practice guidelines for the management of bacterial meningitis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1267–1284, 2004.
- M. J. Thompson, N. Ninis, R. Perera et al., “Clinical recognition of meningococcal disease in children and adolescents,” The Lancet, vol. 367, no. 9508, pp. 397–403, 2006.
- T. A. Haj-Hassan, M. J. Thompson, R. T. Mayon-White et al., “Which early ‘red flag’ symptoms identify children with meningococcal disease in primary care?” British Journal of General Practice, vol. 61, no. 584, pp. e97–e104, 2011.
- S. Curtis, K. Stobart, B. Vandermeer, D. L. Simel, and T. Klassen, “Clinical features suggestive of meningitis in children: a systematic review of prospective data,” Pediatrics, vol. 126, no. 5, pp. 952–960, 2010.
- G. Amarilyo, A. Alper, A. Ben-Tov, and G. Grisaru-Soen, “Diagnostic accuracy of clinical symptoms and signs in children with meningitis,” Pediatric Emergency Care, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 196–199, 2011.
- K. Chapin-Robertson, S. E. Dahlberg, and S. C. Edberg, “Clinical and laboratory analyses of cytospin-prepared gram stains for recovery and diagnosis of bacteria from sterile body fluids,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 377–380, 1992.
- L. E. Nigrovic, R. Malley, C. G. Macias et al., “Effect of antibiotic pretreatment on cerebrospinal fluid profiles of children with bacterial meningitis,” Pediatrics, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 726–730, 2008.
- RCH, “The Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne Clinical Practice Guidelines: CSF Interpretation,” 2012, http://www.rch.org.au/clinicalguide/cpg.cfm?doc_id=5185#normal_values.
- L. E. Nigrovic, N. Kuppermann, C. G. Macias et al., “Clinical prediction rule for identifying children with cerebrospinal fluid pleocytosis at very low risk of bacterial meningitis,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 297, no. 1, pp. 52–60, 2007.
- F. Dubos, A. Martinot, D. Gendrel, G. Bréart, and M. Chalumeau, “Clinical decision rules for evaluating meningitis in children,” Current Opinion in Neurology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 288–293, 2009.
- L. D. Gray and D. P. Fedorko, “Laboratory diagnosis of bacterial meningitis,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 130–145, 1992.
- K. Tarafdar, S. Rao, R. A. Recco, and M. M. Zaman, “Lack of sensitivity of the latex agglutination test to detect bacterial antigen in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with culture-negative meningitis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 406–408, 2001.
- C. Welinder-Olsson, L. Dotevall, H. Hogevik et al., “Comparison of broad-range bacterial PCR and culture of cerebrospinal fluid for diagnosis of community-acquired bacterial meningitis,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 879–886, 2007.
- N. T. Huy, N. T. H. Thao, D. T. N. Diep, M. Kikuchi, J. Zamora, and K. Hirayama, “Cerebrospinal fluid lactate concentration to distinguish bacterial from aseptic meningitis: a systemic review and meta-analysis,” Critical Care, vol. 14, no. 6, article R240, 2010.
- K. Sakushima, Y. Hayashino, T. Kawaguchi, J. L. Jackson, and S. Fukuhara, “Diagnostic accuracy of cerebrospinal fluid lactate for differentiating bacterial meningitis from aseptic meningitis: a meta-analysis,” Journal of Infection, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 255–262, 2011.
- U. M. Alkholi, N. Abd Al-Monem, A. A. Abd El-Azim, and M. H. Sultan, “Serum procalcitonin in viral and bacterial meningitis,” Journal of Global Infectious Diseases, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 14–18, 2011.
- F. Dubos, B. Korczowski, D. A. Aygun et al., “Serum procalcitonin level and other biological markers to distinguish between bacterial and aseptic meningitis in children: a European multicenter case cohort study,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 162, no. 12, pp. 1157–1163, 2008.
- F. Dubos, B. Korczowski, D. A. Aygun, et al., “Distinguishing between bacterial and aseptic meningitis in children: European comparison of two clinical decision rules,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 95, no. 12, pp. 963–967, 2010.
- Antibiotic Expert Group, Therapeutic Guidelines: Antibiotic, Therapeutic Guidelines, Melbourne, VIC, Australia, 2010.
- E. Molyneux, S. Q. Nizami, S. Saha et al., “5 Versus 10 days of treatment with ceftriaxone for bacterial meningitis in children: a double-blind randomised equivalence study,” The Lancet, vol. 377, no. 9780, pp. 1837–1845, 2011.
- C. Visintin, M. A. Mugglestone, E. J. Fields et al., “Management of bacterial meningitis and meningococcal septicaemia in children and young people: summary of NICE guidance,” British Medical Journal, vol. 340, Article ID c3209, 2010.
- NICE, “Bacterial meningitis and meningococcal septicaemia. Management of bacterial meningitis and meningococcal septicaemia in children and young people younger than 16 years in primary and secondary care,” NICE clinical guideline 102, 2010, http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/CG102.
- J. Mongelluzzo, Z. Mohamad, T. R. Ten Have, and S. S. Shah, “Corticosteroids and mortality in children with bacterial meningitis,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 299, no. 17, pp. 2048–2055, 2008.
- M. C. Brouwer, P. McIntyre, J. de Gans, K. Prasad, and D. van de Beek, “Corticosteroids for acute bacterial meningitis,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 9, Article ID CD004405, 2010.
- D. van de Beek, J. J. Farrar, J. de Gans et al., “Adjunctive dexamethasone in bacterial meningitis: a meta-analysis of individual patient data,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 254–263, 2010.
- S. Singhi, A. Järvinen, and H. Peltola, “Increase in serum osmolality is possible mechanism for the beneficial effects of glycerol in childhood bacterial meningitis,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 892–896, 2008.
- H. Peltola, I. Roine, J. Fernández et al., “Adjuvant glycerol and/or dexamethasone to improve the outcomes of childhood bacterial meningitis: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 1277–1286, 2007.
- H. Peltola, I. Roine, J. Fernández et al., “Hearing impairment in childhood bacterial meningitis is little relieved by dexamethasone or glycerol,” Pediatrics, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. e1–e8, 2010.
- K. M. B. Ajdukiewicz, K. E. Cartwright, M. Scarborough et al., “Glycerol adjuvant therapy in adults with bacterial meningitis in a high HIV seroprevalence setting in Malawi: a double-blind, randomised controlled trial,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 293–300, 2011.
- N. Ninis, C. Phillips, and L. Bailey, “The role of healthcare delivery in the outcome of meningococcal disease in children: case-control study of fatal and non-fatal cases,” British Medical Journal, vol. 330, no. 7506, p. 1475, 2005.
- I. Maconochie, H. Baumer, and M. E. Stewart, “Fluid therapy for acute bacterial meningitis,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 3, Article ID CD004786, 2008.