- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 483943, 4 pages
Activated Charcoal—A Potential Material in Glucoamylase Recovery
1Department of Microbiology, University of Agriculture, PMB 2240, Abeokuta, Nigeria
2Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Agriculture, PMB 2240, Abeokuta, Nigeria
Received 28 April 2011; Revised 20 September 2011; Accepted 21 September 2011
Academic Editor: J. Guisan
Copyright © 2011 S. O. Kareem et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. B. Da Silva and R. M. Peralta, “Purification and characterization of a thermostable glucoamylase from Aspergillus fumigatus,” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 493–497, 1998.
- S. O. Kareem, I. Akpan, and M. B. Osho, “Calotropis procera (Sodom apple)—a potential material for enzyme purification,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 133–135, 2003.
- M. Sternberg, “Purification of industrial enzymes with polyacrylic acids,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 11, no. 7, 1976.
- H. G. Vartak, M. V. Rele, M. Rao, and V. V. Deshpande, “A method for concentrating dilute solutions of macromolecules,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 133, no. 1, pp. 260–263, 1983.
- K. M. Clark and C. E. Glartz, “Proteins fractionation by precipation with carboxy methyl cellulose,” in Downstream Processing and Bioseparation, vol. 419 of American Chemical Society Symposium ASeries, pp. 170–187, 1990.
- E. Linne, N. Garg, R. Kaul, and B. Mattiasson, “Evaluation of alginate as a ligand carrier in affinity precipitant,” Technology and Applied Chemistry, vol. 16, pp. 48–56, 1992.
- S. O. Kareem and I. Akpan, “Clarification of amylase extract from moldy bran with Imarsil,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 33, no. 2-3, pp. 259–261, 2003.
- A. E. Ochonogor and P. M. Ejikeme, “Adsorption potentials of Cinnarium schweinfurthi nutshell activated charcoal,” Journal of Chemical Society of Nigeria, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 91–95, 2005.
- M. L. Ulanovskij, I. D. Drozdnik, and A. I. Gordienko, “On interrelation of adsorption parameters of activated carbons,” Journal of Chemical Society of Nigeria, no. 10, pp. 28–30, 1996.
- A. E. Ochonogor, “Indigo carmine removal from solutions using activated carbons of Terminalia catapa and Cinnarium schweinfurthi nutshell,” Journal of Chemical Society of Nigeria, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 88–90, 2005.
- L. Ye, N. N. Khandan, and F. G. Edwards, “Biological treatment of airstreams contaminated with organic vapors,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 71–74, 1994.
- D. O. Cooney, “Methods for treating poisoning and drug overdose,” in Activated Charcoal in Medical Applications, D. O. Cooney, Ed., pp. 110–149, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- J. Hayashi, N. Yamamoto, T. Horikawa, K. Muroyama, and V. G. Gomes, “Preparation and characterization of high-specific-surface-area activated carbons from K2CO3-treated waste polyurethane,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 281, no. 2, pp. 437–443, 2005.
- I. Akpan, M. J. Ikenebomeh, and H. W. Doelle, “Effect of carbon and nitrogen supplements to rice bran-based medium on amylase production by Rhizopus sp,” Tropical Science, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 166–173, 1996.
- G. L. Miller, “Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 426–428, 1959.
- A. L. Koch and S. L. Putnam, “Sensitive biuret method for determination of protein in an impure system such as whole bacteria,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 239–245, 1971.
- U. K. Laemmli, “Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4,” Nature, vol. 227, no. 5259, pp. 680–685, 1970.
- C. G. Kumar and P. Parrack, “Activated charcoal: a versatile decolorization agent for the recovery and purification of alkaline protease,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 243–246, 2003.
- S. O. Kareem, Production and purification of thermostable glucoamylase of Aspergillus oryzae and Rhizopus oligosporus and their application in starch hydrolysis, Ph.D. thesis, University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria, 2009.
- A. Pandey, “Glucoamylase research: an overview,” Starch/Starke, vol. 47, pp. 439–444, 1995.
- C. G. Kumar and H. Takagi, “Microbial alkaline proteases: from a bioindustrial viewpoint,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 561–594, 1999.