- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 793708, 7 pages
Correlation between Agar Plate Screening and Solid-State Fermentation for the Prediction of Cellulase Production by Trichoderma Strains
1Embrapa Instrumentação, Laboratório de Agroenergia, Caixa Postal 741, 13560-970 São Carlos, SP, Brazil
2Programa de Pós-graduação em Biotecnologia, Universidade Federal de São Carlos, 13565-905 São Carlos, SP, Brazil
3Programa de Pós-graduação em Ciência e Tecnologia de Alimentos, Instituto Federal de Educação, Ciência e Tecnologia do Rio de Janeiro, Rua Senador Furtado 121, Maracanã, 20270-021 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Received 30 August 2012; Revised 31 October 2012; Accepted 31 October 2012
Academic Editor: Jose Miguel Palomo
Copyright © 2012 Camila Florencio et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Beguin and J. P. Aubert, “The biological degradation of cellulose,” FEMS Microbiology Reviews, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 25–58, 1994.
- Y. H. P. Zhang, M. E. Himmel, and J. R. Mielenz, “Outlook for cellulase improvement: screening and selection strategies,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 452–481, 2006.
- C. R. Soccol, B. Marin, M. Raimbault, and J. M. Lebeault, “Breeding and growth of Rhizopus in raw cassava by solid state fermentation,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 330–336, 1994.
- I. S. Druzhinina, A. G. Kopchinskiy, and C. P. Kubicek, “The first 100 Trichoderma species characterized by molecular data,” Mycoscience, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 55–64, 2006.
- K. Sharma, A. K. Mishra, and R. S. Misra, “Morphological, biochemical and molecular characterization of Trichoderma harzianum isolates for their efficacy as biocontrol agents,” Journal of Phytopathology, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. 51–56, 2009.
- L. Yang, Q. Yang, K. Sun, Y. Tian, and H. Li, “Agrobacterium tumefaciens mediated transformation of ChiV gene to Trichoderma harzianum,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 163, no. 8, pp. 937–945, 2011.
- R. M. Teather and P. J. Wood, “Use of Congo red-polysaccharide interactions in enumeration and characterization of cellulolytic bacteria from the bovine rumen,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 777–780, 1982.
- A. Sazci, A. Radford, and K. Erenler, “Detection of cellulolytic fungi by using Congo red as an indicator: a comparative study with the dinitrosalicyclic acid reagent method,” Journal of Applied Bacteriology, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 559–562, 1986.
- R. Peterson, J. Grinyer, J. Joss, A. Khan, and H. Nevalainen, “Fungal proteins with mannanase activity identified directly from a Congo Red stained zymogram by mass spectrometry,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 374–377, 2009.
- R. C. Kasana, R. Salwan, H. Dhar, S. Dutt, and A. Gulati, “A rapid and easy method for the detection of microbial cellulases on agar plates using Gram's iodine,” Current Microbiology, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 503–507, 2008.
- S. J. Wirth and G. A. Wolf, “Micro-plate colourimetric assay for Endo-acting cellulase, xylanase, chitinase, 1,3-β-glucanase and amylase extracted from forest soil horizons,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 511–519, 1992.
- L. Fülöp and T. Ponyi, “Rapid screening for endo-β-1,4-glucanase and endo-β-1,4-mannanase activities and specific measurement using soluble dye-labelled substrates,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 15–21, 1997.
- L. N. Ten, W. T. Im, M. K. Kim, M. S. Kang, and S. T. Lee, “Development of a plate technique for screening of polysaccharide-degrading microorganisms by using a mixture of insoluble chromogenic substrates,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 375–382, 2004.
- S. Cianchetta, S. Galletti, P. L. Burzi, and C. Cerato, “A novel microplate-based screening strategy to assess the cellulolytic potential of Trichoderma strains,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 461–468, 2010.
- A. Pandey, “Solid-state fermentation,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 13, no. 2-3, pp. 81–84, 2003.
- U. Hölker, M. Höfer, and J. Lenz, “Biotechnological advantages of laboratory-scale solid-state fermentation with fungi,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 175–186, 2004.
- P. Cen and L. Xia, “Production of cellulase in solid state fermentation,” in Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, T. Scheper, Ed., vol. 65, pp. 70–91, 1999.
- M. J. S. Ruegger and S. M. Tauk-Tornisielo, “Cellulase activity of fungi isolated from soil of the Ecological Station of Juréia-Itatins, São Paulo, Brazil,” Brazilian Journal Botany, vol. 27, pp. 205–211, 2004.
- M. Mandels and J. Weber, “The production of cellulases,” Advances Chemistry in Series, vol. 95, pp. 391–414, 1969.
- T. K. Ghose, “Measurement of cellulase activities,” Pure & Applied Chemistry, vol. 59, pp. 257–268, 1987.
- G. L. Miller, “Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 426–428, 1959.
- Y. Cao and H. Tan, “Effects of cellulase on the modification of cellulose,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 337, no. 14, pp. 1291–1296, 2002.
- A. Sørensen, P. J. Teller, P. S. Lübeck, and B. K. Ahring, “Onsite enzyme production during bioethanol production from biomass: screening for suitable fungal strains,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 164, no. 7, pp. 1058–1070, 2011.
- J. Lamb and T. Loy, “Seeing red: the use of Congo Red dye to identify cooked and damaged starch grains in archaeological residues,” Journal of Archaeological Science, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1433–1440, 2005.
- V. R. Lopes, G. F. Junior, R. Braga, M. A. de Jesus, C. Martins, and G. Pinto, Activity of Xylanase in Strains of Colletrotichum and Trichoderma. Sinaferm, Natal, Brazil, 2009.
- M. Gutierrez-Correa and R. P. Tengerdy, “Production of cellulase on sugar cane bagasse by fungal mixed culture solid substrate fermentation,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 665–667, 1997.
- H. S. Oberoi, S. Bansal, and G. S. Dhillon, “Enhanced β-galactosidase production by supplementing whey with cauliflower waste,” International Journal of Food Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 1499–1504, 2008.
- P. Jeffries and T. W. K. Young, Interfungal Parasitic Relationships, CAB International, Wallingford, UK, 1994.
- K. Brijwani, H. S. Oberoi, and P. V. Vadlani, “Production of a cellulolytic enzyme system in mixed-culture solid-state fermentation of soybean hulls supplemented with wheat bran,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 120–128, 2010.