- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Epidemiology Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 837928, 7 pages
Determining the Incidence of Adult Fractures: How Accurate Are Emergency Department Data?
The Orthopaedic Trauma Unit, Department of Orthopaedics, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Little France, Edinburgh EH16 4SU, UK
Received 2 April 2012; Revised 10 May 2012; Accepted 16 May 2012
Academic Editor: Huibert Burger
Copyright © 2012 Stuart A. Aitken et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Cummings, T. D. Koepsell, and B. A. Mueller, “Methodological challenges in injury epidemiology and injury prevention research,” Annual Review of Public Health, vol. 16, pp. 381–400, 1995.
- N. J. Barton, “Twenty questions about scaphoid fractures,” Journal of Hand Surgery, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 289–310, 1992.
- C. Gäbler, C. Kukla, M. J. Breitenseher, S. Trattnig, and V. Vécsei, “Diagnosis of occult scaphoid fractures and other wrist injuries: are repeated clinical examinations and plain radiographs still state of the art?” Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery, vol. 386, no. 2, pp. 150–154, 2001.
- L. J. Donaldson, I. P. Reckless, S. Scholes, J. S. Mindell, and N. J. Shelton, “The epidemiology of fractures in England,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 174–180, 2008.
- M. R. Brinker and D. P. O'Connor, “The incidence of fractures and dislocations referred for orthopaedic services in a capitated population,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 290–297, 2004.
- C. M. Court-Brown, S. A. Aitken, D. Forward, et al., “The epidemiology of fractures,” in Rockwood and Green's Fractures in Adults, R. W. Bucholz, C. M. Court-Brown, J. D. Heckman, et al., Eds., pp. 53–84, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 7th edition, 2010.
- C. M. Court-Brown and B. Caesar, “Epidemiology of adult fractures: a review,” Injury, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 691–697, 2006.
- B. R. Singer, G. J. McLauchlan, C. M. Robinson, and J. Christie, “Epidemiology of fractures in 15,000 adults: the influence of age and gender,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 243–248, 1998.
- L. J. Donaldson, A. Cook, and R. G. Thomson, “Incidence of fractures in a geographically defined population,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 241–245, 1990.
- A. Johansen, R. J. Evans, M. D. Stone, P. W. Richmond, S. V. Lo, and K. W. Woodhouse, “Fracture incidence in England and Wales: a study based on the population of Cardiff,” Injury, vol. 28, no. 9-10, pp. 655–660, 1997.
- Y. Sahlin, “Occurrence of fractures in a defined population: a 1-year study,” Injury, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 158–160, 1990.
- D. Fife and J. I. Barancik, “Northeastern Ohio trauma study III: incidence of fractures,” Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 244–248, 1985.
- T. P. van Staa, E. M. Dennison, H. G. M. Leufkens, and C. Cooper, “Epidemiology of fractures in England and Wales,” Bone, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 517–522, 2001.
- General Register Office for Scotland, “Mid-2008 population estimates by sex and age,” 2010, http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files2/stats/gros-mid-2008-population-estimates-scotland-population-estimates-by-sex-age-and-administrative-area/j1075009.htm.
- S. E. Campbell, M. K. Campbell, J. M. Grimshaw, and A. E. Walker, “A systematic review of discharge coding accuracy,” Journal of Public Health, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 205–211, 2001.
- R. J. Derksen, F. C. Bakker, E. S. M. de Lange-de Klerk et al., “Specialized emergency nurses treating ankle and foot injuries: a randomized controlled trial,” The American Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 144–151, 2007.
- M. Sakr, J. Angus, J. Perrin, C. Nixon, J. Nicholl, and J. Wardrope, “Care of minor injuries by emergency nurse practitioners or junior doctors: a randomised controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 354, no. 9187, pp. 1321–1326, 1999.
- A. Wilson and F. Shifaza, “An evaluation of the effectiveness and acceptability of nurse practitioners in an adult emergency department,” International Journal of Nursing Practice, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 149–156, 2008.
- P. Jenkins, G. Earle-Richardson, D. T. Slingerland, and J. May, “Time dependent memory decay,” American Journal of Industrial Medicine, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 98–101, 2002.
- D. Lilienfeld and P. Stolley, Foundations of Epidemiology, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- K. Rothman, Epidemiology: An Introduction, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- J. M. Burnham, J. Shults, R. Weinstein, J. D. Lewis, and M. B. Leonard, “Childhood onset arthritis is associated with an increased risk of fracture: a population based study using the general practice research database,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 65, no. 8, pp. 1074–1079, 2006.
- C. Cooper, E. M. Dennison, H. G. M. Leufkens, N. Bishop, and T. P. van Staa, “Epidemiology of childhood fractures in Britain: a study using the general practice research database,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1976–1981, 2004.
- W. Högler, G. Wehl, T. van Staa, B. Meister, A. Klein-Franke, and G. Kropshofer, “Incidence of skeletal complications during treatment of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: comparison of fracture risk with the general practice research database,” Pediatric Blood and Cancer, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 21–27, 2007.
- R. G. Schlienger, S. S. Jick, and C. R. Meier, “Inhaled corticosteroids and the risk of fractures in children and adolescents,” Pediatrics, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 469–473, 2004.
- T. P. van Staa, N. Bishop, H. G. M. Leufkens, and C. Cooper, “Are inhaled corticosteroids associated with an increased risk of fracture in children?” Osteoporosis International, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 785–791, 2004.
- K. M. Abel, H. F. Heatlie, L. M. Howard, and R. T. Webb, “Sex- and age-specific incidence of fractures in mental illness: a historical, population-based cohort study,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 69, no. 9, pp. 1398–1403, 2008.
- A. M. Gallagher, S. Rietbrock, M. Olson, and T. P. van Staa, “Fracture outcomes related to persistence and compliance with oral bisphosphonates,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 1569–1575, 2008.
- J. A. Kaye and H. Jick, “Proton pump inhibitor use and risk of hip fractures in patients without major risk factors,” Pharmacotherapy, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 951–959, 2008.
- N. R. Lewis, R. F. A. Logan, R. B. Hubbard, and J. West, “No increase in risk of fracture, malignancy or mortality in dermatitis herpetiformis: a cohort study,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1140–1147, 2008.
- C. Meier, M. E. Kraenzlin, M. Bodmer, S. S. Jick, H. Jick, and C. R. Meier, “Use of thiazolidinediones and fracture risk,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 168, no. 8, pp. 820–825, 2008.
- I. Wilting, F. de Vries, B. M. K. S. Thio et al., “Lithium use and the risk of fractures,” Bone, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 1252–1258, 2007.
- T. P. van Staa, P. Geusens, B. Zhang, H. G. M. Leufkens, A. Boonen, and C. Cooper, “Individual fracture risk and the cost-effectiveness of bisphosphonates in patients using oral glucocorticoids,” Rheumatology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 460–466, 2007.
- F. de Vries, P. C. Souverein, C. Cooper, H. G. M. Leufkens, and T. P. van Staa, “Use of β-blockers and the risk of hip/femur fracture in the United Kingdom and The Netherlands,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 69–75, 2007.
- L. Howard, G. Kirkwood, and M. Leese, “Risk of hip fracture in patients with a history of schizophrenia,” The British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 190, pp. 129–134, 2007.
- Y. X. Yang, J. D. Lewis, S. Epstein, and D. C. Metz, “Long-term proton pump inhibitor therapy and risk of hip fracture,” JAMA, vol. 296, no. 24, pp. 2947–2953, 2006.
- M. Solaymani-Dodaran, T. R. Card, G. P. Aithal, and J. West, “Fracture risk in people with primary biliary cirrhosis: a population-based cohort study,” Gastroenterology, vol. 131, no. 6, pp. 1752–1757, 2006.
- T. P. van Staa, P. Geusens, J. W. J. Bijlsma, H. G. M. Leufkens, and C. Cooper, “Clinical assessment of the long-term risk of fracture in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 3104–3112, 2006.
- P. C. Souverein, D. J. Webb, J. G. Weil, T. P. van Staa, and A. C. G. Egberts, “Use of antiepileptic drugs and risk of fractures: case-control study among patients with epilepsy,” Neurology, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 1318–1324, 2006.
- G. W. K. Hugenholtz, E. R. Heerdink, T. P. van Staa, W. A. Nolen, and A. C. G. Egberts, “Risk of hip/femur fractures in patients using antipsychotics,” Bone, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 864–870, 2005.
- F. de Vries, T. P. van Staa, M. S. G. M. Bracke, C. Cooper, H. G. M. Leufkens, and J. W. J. Lammers, “Severity of obstructive airway disease and risk of osteoporotic fracture,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 879–884, 2005.
- T. P. van Staa, P. Geusens, H. A. P. Pols, C. De Laet, H. G. M. Leufkens, and C. Cooper, “A simple score for estimating the long-term risk of fracture in patients using oral glucocorticoids,” QJM, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 191–198, 2005.
- P. C. Souverein, D. J. Webb, H. Petri, J. Weil, T. P. van Staa, and T. Egberts, “Incidence of fractures among epilepsy patients: a population-based retrospective cohort study in the general practice research database,” Epilepsia, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 304–310, 2005.
- J. A. Kaye and H. Jick, “Epidemiology of lower limb fractures in general practice in the United Kingdom,” Injury Prevention, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 368–374, 2004.
- R. G. Schlienger, M. E. Kraenzlin, S. S. Jick, and C. R. Meier, “Use of β-blockers and risk of fractures,” JAMA, vol. 292, no. 11, pp. 1326–1332, 2004.
- D. J. Torgerson, D. Sykes, S. Puffer, P. Brown, and C. Cooper, “Pharmaceutical treatment of symptomatic vertebral fractures in primary care,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 63, no. 7, pp. 853–856, 2004.
- T. Card, J. West, R. Hubbard, and R. F. A. Logan, “Hip fractures in patients with inflammatory bowel disease and their relationship to corticosteroid use: a population based cohort study,” Gut, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 251–255, 2004.
- H. Jick, S. S. Jick, and L. E. Derby, “Validation of information recorded on general practitioner based computerised data resource in the United Kingdom,” BMJ, vol. 302, no. 6779, pp. 766–768, 1991.
- H. Jick, S. Jick, L. E. Derby, C. Vasilakis, M. W. Myers, and C. R. Meier, “Calcium-channel blockers and risk of cancer,” The Lancet, vol. 349, no. 9051, pp. 525–528, 1997.
- A. Ruigómez, L. A. García Rodríguez, M. A. Wallander, S. Johansson, H. Graffner, and J. Dent, “Natural history of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease diagnosed in general practice,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 751–760, 2004.
- T. P. van Staa, L. Abenhaim, C. Cooper, B. Zhang, and H. G. Leufkens, “The use of a large pharmacoepidemiological database to study exposure to oral corticosteroids and risk of fractures: validation of study population and results,” Pharmacoepidemiology & Drug Safety, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 359–366, 2000.