- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Epilepsy Research and Treatment
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 654265, 7 pages
What Do Changes in Brain Perfusion Induced by Etomidate Suggest about Epilepsy in Human Patients?
1Neurosurgery, The Epilepsy Unit, Hospital Universitario de La Princesa, 28006 Madrid, Spain
2Foundation for Biomedical Research, The Epilepsy Unit, Hospital Universitario de La Princesa, 28006 Madrid, Spain
3School of Medicine, San Pablo-CEU University, Madrid, Spain
4Clinical Neurophysiology, The Epilepsy Unit, Hospital Universitario de La Princesa, 28006 Madrid, Spain
5Nuclear Medicine, The Epilepsy Unit, Hospital Universitario de La Princesa, 28006 Madrid, Spain
6Anesthesiology, The Epilepsy Unit, Hospital Universitario de La Princesa, 28006 Madrid, Spain
Received 21 August 2009; Revised 10 November 2009; Accepted 13 April 2010
Academic Editor: Louis Lemieux
Copyright © 2010 Ivan Herrera-Peco et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. A. Hauser, “Incidence and prevalence,” in Epilepsy. A Comprehensive Texbook (3 vol), J. Engel Jr. and T. Pedley, Eds., vol. 1, pp. 47–57, Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1998.
- R. G. Sola, “When should the pre-operative study of epileptic patients be carried out?” Revista de Neurologia, vol. 25, no. 139, pp. 379–385, 1997.
- R. G. De Sola, V. Hernando-Requejo, J. Pastor et al., “Pharmacoresistant temporal-lobe epilepsy. Exploration with foramen ovale electrodes and surgical outcomes,” Revista de Neurologia, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 4–16, 2005.
- J. Pastor Gómez, V. Hernando-Requejo, L. Domínguez-Gadea et al., “Impact of experience on improving the surgical outcome in temporal lobe epilepsy,” Revista de Neurologia, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 709–716, 2005.
- J. Pastor, L. Domínguez-Gadea, R. G. Sola et al., “First true initial ictal SPECT in partial epilepsy verified by electroencephalography,” Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 305–309, 2008.
- J. L. Carreras, M. J. Pérez-Castejón, A. M. Jiménez, M. Domper, and R. Montz, “Advances in SPECT and PET in epilepsy,” Revista de Neurologia, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 359–363, 2000.
- G. D. Cascino, J. R. Buchhalter, B. P. Mullan, and E. L. So, “Ictal SPECT in definition of the seizure onset zone,” in Presurgical Assesment of the Epilepsies with Clinical Neurphysiology and Functional Imaging Handbook of Clinical Neurphysiology, F. Rosenow and H. O. Lüders, Eds., vol. 3, Elsevier, 2004.
- G. Huberfeld, M.-O. Habert, S. Clemenceau, P. Maksud, M. Baulac, and C. Adam, “Ictal brain hyperperfusion contralateral to seizure onset: the SPECT mirror image,” Epilepsia, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 123–133, 2006.
- A. Brockhaus, K. Lehnertz, C. Wienbruch et al., “Possibilities and limitations of magnetic source imaging of methohexital-induced epileptiform patterns in temporal lobe epilepsy patients,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 423–436, 1997.
- H. Schmitt, K. Druschky, C. Hummel, and H. Stefan, “Detection of an epileptic mirror focus after oral application of clonidine,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 349–351, 1999.
- W. Krieger, J. Copperman, and K. D. Laxer, “Seizures with etomidate anesthesia,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 64, no. 12, pp. 1226–1227, 1985.
- C. Barba, D. Di Giuda, D. Policicchio, I. Bruno, F. Papacci, and G. Colicchio, “Correlation between provoked ictal SPECT and depth recordings in adult drug-resistant epilepsy patients,” Epilepsia, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 278–285, 2007.
- W. A. Kofke, R. M. Dasheiff, M.-L. Dong, S. Whitehurst, and M. Caldwell, “Anesthetic care during thiopental tests to evaluate epileptic patients for surgical therapy,” Journal of Neurosurgical Anesthesiology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 164–170, 1993.
- P. H. Manninen, S. J. Burke, R. Wennberg, A. M. Lozano, and H. El Beheiry, “Intraoperative localization of an epileptogenic focus with alfentanil and fentanyl,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 1101–1106, 1999.
- I. Herrera-Peco, R. Wix-Ramos, L. Domínguez-Gadea et al., “Changes in cerebral perfusion induced by etomidate in patients with temporal lobe epilepsy,” Revista de Neurologia, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 561–565, 2009.
- C. Vanlersberghe and F. Camu, “Etomidate and other non-barbiturates,” Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology, no. 182, pp. 267–282, 2008.
- S. Gancher, K. D. Laxer, and W. Krieger, “Activation of epileptogenic activity by etomidate,” Anesthesiology, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 616–618, 1984.
- Z. Y. Ebrahim, G. E. DeBoer, H. Luders, J. F. Hahn, and R. P. Lesser, “Effect of etomidate on the electroencephalogram of patients with epilepsy,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 65, no. 10, pp. 1004–1006, 1986.
- J Engel Jr., “Outcome with respect to epileptic seizures,” in Surgical Treatment of Epilepsies, J. Engel Jr., Ed., pp. 553–550, Raven Press, New York, NY, USA, 1987.
- A. Doenicke, B. Loeffler, J. Kugler, H. Suttmann, and B. Grote, “Plasma concentration and EEG after various regimens of etomidate,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 54, pp. 393–406, 1982.
- J. R. Arden, F. O. Holley, and D. R. Stanski, “Increased sensitivity to etomidate in the elderly: initial distribution versus altered brain response,” Anesthesiology, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 19–27, 1986.
- M. M. Ghoneim and T. Yamada, “Etomidate: a clinical and electroencephalographic comparison with thiopental,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 479–485, 1977.
- T. P. Laughlin and L. A. Newberg, “Prolonged myoclonus after etomidate anesthesia,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 80–82, 1985.
- J. M. Gooding, J.-T. Weng, R. A. Smith, G. T. Berninger, and R. R. Kirby, “Cardiovascular and pulmonary responses following etomidate induction of anesthesia in patients with demonstrated cardiac disease,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 40–41, 1979.
- H. M. Meinck, O. Moehlenhof, and D. Kettler, “Neurophysiological effects of etomidate, a new short-acting hypnotic,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 50, no. 5-6, pp. 515–522, 1980.
- A. Rechtschaffen and G. Siegel, “Sleep and dreaming,” in Principles of Neural Science, E. R. Kandel, J. H. Schawrtz, and T. M. Jessell, Eds., pp. 936–947, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 2000.
- C. Gottesmann, “GABA mechanisms and sleep,” Neuroscience, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 231–239, 2002.
- A. D. Norden and H. Blumenfeld, “The role of subcortical structures in human epilepsy,” Epilepsy and Behavior, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 219–231, 2002.
- W. Van Paesschen, “Ictal SPECT,” Epilepsia, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 35–40, 2004.
- A. Kastanauskaite, L. Alonso-Nanclares, L. Blazquez-Llorca, J. Pastor, R. G. Sola, and J. Defelipe, “Alterations of the microvascular network in sclerotic hippocampi from patients with epilepsy,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 68, no. 8, pp. 939–950, 2009.
- L. J. Voss, J. W. Sleigh, J. P. Barnard, and H. E. Kirsch, “The howling cortex: seizures and general anesthetic drugs,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 1689–1703, 2008.
- I. Cohen, V. Navarro, S. Clemenceau, M. Baulac, and R. Miles, “On the origin of interictal activity in human temporal lobe epilepsy in vitro,” Science, vol. 298, no. 5597, pp. 1418–1421, 2002.
- M. Räth, K. J. Föhr, H. U. Weigt et al., “Etomidate reduces glutamate uptake in rat cultured glial cells: involvement of PKA,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 155, no. 6, pp. 925–933, 2008.