- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Epilepsy Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 135364, 5 pages
Changing Global Trends in Seizure Outcomes Following Resective Surgery for Tuberous Sclerosis in Children with Medically Intractable Epilepsy
1Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
2Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
3Hospital for Sick Children Research Institute, Suite 1503, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, ON, M5G 1X8, Canada
4Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
5Department of Neurology, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, Canada
Received 9 September 2012; Accepted 30 October 2012
Academic Editor: Raidah S. Albaradie
Copyright © 2012 George M. Ibrahim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Curatolo, R. Bombardieri, and S. Jozwiak, “Tuberous sclerosis,” The Lancet, vol. 372, no. 9639, pp. 657–668, 2008.
- L. Hallett, T. Foster, Z. Liu, M. Blieden, and J. Valentim, “Burden of disease and unmet needs in tuberous sclerosis complex with neurological manifestations: systematic review,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1571–1583, 2011.
- F. E. Jansen, G. Huiskamp, A. C. van Huffelen et al., “Identification of the epileptogenic tuber in patients with tuberous sclerosis: a comparison of high-resolution EEG and MEG,” Epilepsia, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 108–114, 2006.
- M. S. Aboian, L. C. Wong-Kisiel, M. Rank, N. M. Wetjen, E. C. Wirrell, and R. J. Witte, “SISCOM in children with tuberous sclerosis complex-related epilepsy,” Pediatric Neurology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 83–88, 2011.
- M. Karenfort, B. Kruse, H. Freitag, H. Pannek, and I. Tuxhorn, “Epilepsy surgery outcome in children with focal epilepsy due to tuberous sclerosis complex,” Neuropediatrics, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 255–261, 2002.
- J. Roth, A. Olasunkanmi, W. S. Macallister et al., “Quality of life following epilepsy surgery for children with tuberous sclerosis complex,” Epilepsy and Behavior, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 561–565, 2011.
- F. E. Jansen, K. P. J. Braun, O. van Nieuwenhuizen et al., “Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging and identification of the epileptogenic tuber in patients with tuberous sclerosis,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 60, no. 11, pp. 1580–1584, 2003.
- P. S. Chandra, N. Salamon, J. Huang et al., “FDG-PET/MRI coregistration and diffusion-tensor imaging distinguish epileptogenic tubers and cortex in patients with tuberous sclerosis complex: a preliminary report,” Epilepsia, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 1543–1549, 2006.
- D. C. Chugani, H. T. Chugani, O. Muzik et al., “Imaging epileptogenic tubers in children with tuberous sclerosis complex using α-[11C]methyl-L-tryptophan positron emission tomography,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 858–866, 1998.
- J. Y. Wu, N. Salamon, H. E. Kirsch et al., “Noninvasive testing, early surgery, and seizure freedom in tuberous sclerosis complex,” Neurology, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 392–398, 2010.
- A. S. Harvey, J. H. Cross, S. Shinnar, G. W. Mathern, and ILAE Pediatric Epilepsy Surgery Survey Taskforce, “Defining the spectrum of international practice in pediatric epilepsy surgery patients,” Epilepsia, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 146–155, 2008.
- G. M. Ibrahim, B. W. Barry, A. Fallah et al., “Inequities in access to pediatric epilepsy surgery: a bioethical framework,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 32, no. 3, article E2, 2012.
- L. Morgenstern, “Warning! Dangerous curve ahead: the learning curve,” Surgical Innovation, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 101–103, 2005.
- G. M. Ibrahim, A. Fallah, O. C. Snead 3rd, J. Drake, J. T. Rutka, and M. Bernstein, “The use of high frequency oscillations to guide neocortical resections in children with medically-intractable epilepsy: how do we ethically apply surgical innovations to patient care?” Seizure, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 743–747, 2012.
- S. Goldring, “A method for surgical management of focal epilepsy, especially as it relates to children,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 344–356, 1978.
- G. L. Holmes and Y. Ben-Ari, “Seizures in the developing brain: perhaps not so benign after all,” Neuron, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1231–1234, 1998.
- K. J. Meador, “Cognitive outcomes and predictive factors in epilepsy,” Neurology, vol. 58, no. 8, supplement 5, pp. S21–S26, 2002.
- G. M. Ibrahim, A. Fallah, O. C. Snead 3rd et al., “Ethical issues in surgical decision making concerning children with medically intractable epilepsy,” Epilepsy and Behavior, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 154–157, 2011.
- C. Helmstaedter and C. E. Elger, “Chronic temporal lobe epilepsy: a neurodevelopmental or progressively dementing disease?” Brain, vol. 132, no. 10, pp. 2822–2830, 2009.
- R. Jonas, S. Nguyen, B. Hu et al., “Cerebral hemispherectomy: hospital course, seizure, developmental, language, and motor outcomes,” Neurology, vol. 62, no. 10, pp. 1712–1721, 2004.
- P. Perot, B. Weir, and T. Rasmussen, “Tuberous sclerosis: surgical therapy for seizures,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 498–506, 1966.
- E. M. Bebin, P. J. Kelly, M. R. Gomez, P. Genton, and C. K. Benninger, “Surgical treatment for epilepsy in cerebral tuberous sclerosis,” Epilepsia, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 651–657, 1993.
- A. M. Avellino, M. S. Berger, R. C. Rostomily, C. M. Shaw, and G. A. Ojemann, “Surgical management and seizure outcome in patients with tuberous sclerosis,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 391–396, 1997.
- J. E. Baumgartner, J. W. Wheless, S. Kulkarni et al., “On the surgical treatment of refractory epilepsy in tuberous sclerosis complex,” Pediatric Neurosurgery, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 311–318, 1997.
- M. M. Guerreiro, F. Andermann, E. Andermann et al., “Surgical treatment of epilepsy in tuberous sclerosis: strategies and results in 18 patients,” Neurology, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1263–1269, 1998.
- E. Asano, D. C. Chugani, O. Muzik et al., “Multimodality imaging for improved detection of epileptogenic foci in tuberous sclerosis complex,” Neurology, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 1976–1984, 2000.
- S. Koh, P. Jayakar, C. Dunoyer et al., “Epilepsy surgery in children with tuberous sclerosis complex: presurgical evaluation and outcome,” Epilepsia, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 1206–1213, 2000.
- K. Kagawa, D. C. Chugani, E. Asano et al., “Epilepsy surgery outcome in children with tuberous sclerosis complex evaluated with α-[11C]methyl-L-tryptophan positron emission tomography (PET),” Journal of Child Neurology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 429–438, 2005.
- D. K. Lachhwani, E. Pestana, A. Gupta, P. Kotagal, W. Bingaman, and E. Wyllie, “Identification of candidates for epilepsy surgery in patients with tuberous sclerosis,” Neurology, vol. 64, no. 9, pp. 1651–1654, 2005.
- T. Kamimura, J. Tohyama, M. Oishi et al., “Magnetoencephalography in patients with tuberous sclerosis and localization-related epilepsy,” Epilepsia, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 991–997, 2006.
- H. L. Weiner, C. Carlson, E. B. Ridgway et al., “Epilepsy surgery in young children with tuberous sclerosis: results of a novel approach,” Pediatrics, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 1494–1502, 2006.
- F. E. Jansen, A. C. van Huffelen, P. C. van Rijen et al., “Epilepsy surgery in tuberous sclerosis: the Dutch experience,” Seizure, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 445–453, 2007.
- F. Teutonico, R. Mai, O. Devinsky et al., “Epilepsy surgery in tuberous sclerosis complex: early predictive elements and outcome,” Child's Nervous System, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1437–1445, 2008.
- P. Major, S. Rakowski, M. V. Simon et al., “Are cortical tubers epileptogenic? Evidence from electrocorticography,” Epilepsia, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 147–154, 2009.
- J. L. Wen, J. X. Liao, L. Chen et al., “Follow-up of tuberous sclerosis complex complicated by epilepsy in children,” Chinese Journal of Contemporary Pediatrics, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 996–998, 2009.
- A. van der Heide, A. C. van Huffelen, W. P. J. Spetgens, C. H. Ferrier, O. van Nieuwenhuizen, and F. E. Jansen, “Identification of the epileptogenic zone in patients with tuberous sclerosis: concordance of interictal and ictal epileptiform activity,” Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 121, no. 6, pp. 842–847, 2010.
- S. Liang, A. Li, M. Zhao et al., “Epilepsy surgery in tuberous sclerosis complex: emphasis on surgical candidate and neuropsychology,” Epilepsia, vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 2316–2321, 2010.