- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Epilepsy Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 198183, 8 pages
Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging for Language Mapping in Temporal Lobe Epilepsy
1Imaging Research Laboratories, Robarts Research Institute, London, ON, N6A 5K8, Canada
2Department of Medical Biophysics, Western University, London, ON, N6A 5C1, Canada
3Department of Medical Imaging, Western University, London, ON, N6A 5A5, Canada
4Biomedical Engineering Program, Western University, London, ON, N6A 5B9, Canada
5Department of Clinical Neurological Science, Western University, London, ON, N6A 5A5, Canada
6Department of Psychology, Western University, London, ON, N6A 5A5, Canada
Received 2 February 2012; Accepted 28 June 2012
Academic Editor: Warren T. Blume
Copyright © 2012 An Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Engel Jr., “Etiology as a risk factor for medically refractory epilepsy: a case for early surgical intervention,” Neurology, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1243–1244, 1998.
- J. Engel Jr., P. Van Ness, T. B. Rasmussen, and L. M. Ojemann, “Outcome with respect to epileptic seizures,” in Surgical Treatment of the Epilepsies, J. Engel Jr., Ed., pp. 609–621, Raven Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1993.
- S. Wiebe, W. T. Blume, J. P. Girvin, and M. Eliasziw, “A randomized, controlled trial of surgery for temporal-lobe epilepsy,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 5, pp. 311–318, 2001.
- M. M. Haglund, M. S. Berger, M. Shamseldin et al., “Cortical localization of temporal lobe language sites in patients with gliomas,” Neurosurgery, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 567–576, 1994.
- J. Wada and T. Rasmussen, “Intracarotid injection of Sodium Amytal for the lateralization of cerebral speech dominance: experimental and clinical observations,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 17, pp. 266–282, 1960.
- G. Ojemann, J. Ojemann, E. Lettich, and M. Berger, “Cortical language localization in left, dominant hemisphere. An electrical stimulation mapping investigation in 117 patients,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 316–326, 1989.
- S. Ogawa, T. M. Lee, A. R. Kay, and D. W. Tank, “Brain magnetic resonance imaging with contrast dependent on blood oxygenation,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 87, no. 24, pp. 9868–9872, 1990.
- Y. Tie, R. O. Suarez, S. Whalen, A. Radmanesh, I. H. Norton, and A. J. Golby, “Comparison of blocked and event-related fMRI designs for pre-surgical language mapping,” NeuroImage, vol. 47, supplement 2, pp. T107–T115, 2009.
- J. E. Desmond, J. M. Sum, A. D. Wagner et al., “Functional MRI measurement of language lateralization in Wada-tested patients,” Brain, vol. 118, no. 6, pp. 1411–1419, 1995.
- J. R. Binder, S. J. Swanson, T. A. Hammeke et al., “Determination of language dominance using functional MRI: a comparison with the Wada test,” Neurology, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 978–984, 1996.
- M. M. Bahn, L. Weili, D. L. Silbergeld et al., “Localization of language cortices by functional MR imaging compared with intracarotid amobarbital hemispheric sedation,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 169, no. 2, pp. 575–579, 1997.
- F. Z. Yetkin, S. Swanson, M. Fischer et al., “Functional MR of frontal lobe activation: comparison with Wada language results,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1095–1098, 1998.
- S. Lehéricy, L. Cohen, B. Bazin et al., “Functional MR evaluation of temporal and frontal language dominance compared with the Wada test,” Neurology, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 1625–1633, 2000.
- G. J. M. Rutten, N. F. Ramsey, P. C. Van Rijen, W. C. Alpherts, and C. W. M. Van Veelen, “fMRI-determined language lateralization in patients with unilateral or mixed language dominance according to the Wada test,” NeuroImage, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 447–460, 2002.
- P. Sabbah, F. Chassoux, C. Leveque et al., “Functional MR imaging in assessment of language dominance in epileptic patients,” NeuroImage, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 460–467, 2003.
- T. Benke, B. Köylü, P. Visani et al., “Language lateralization in temporal lobe epilepsy: a comparison between fMRI and the Wada test,” Epilepsia, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 1308–1319, 2006.
- K. Deblaere, P. A. Boon, P. Vandemaele et al., “MRI language dominance assessment in epilepsy patients at 1.0 T: region of interest analysis and comparison with intracarotid amytal testing,” Neuroradiology, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 413–420, 2004.
- W. D. Gaillard, L. Balsamo, B. Xu et al., “fMRI language task panel improves determination of language dominance,” Neurology, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 1403–1408, 2004.
- F. G. Woermann, H. Jokeit, R. Luerding et al., “Language lateralization by Wada test and fMRI in 100 patients with epilepsy,” Neurology, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 699–701, 2003.
- M. Vigneau, V. Beaucousin, P. Y. Hervé et al., “Meta-analyzing left hemisphere language areas: phonology, semantics, and sentence processing,” NeuroImage, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 1414–1432, 2006.
- L. S. Medina, B. Bernal, and J. Ruiz, “Role of functional MR in determining language dominance in epilepsy and nonepilepsy populations: a Bayesian analysis,” Radiology, vol. 242, no. 1, pp. 94–100, 2007.
- D. L. Collins, C. J. Holmes, T. M. Peters, and A. C. Evans, “Automatic 3-D model-based neuroanatomical segmentation,” Human Brain Mapping, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 190–208, 1995.
- G. J. M. Rutten, N. F. Ramsey, P. C. van Rijen, H. J. Noordmans, and C. W. M. Van Veelen, “Development of a functional magnetic resonance imaging protocol for intraoperative localization of critical temporoparietal language areas,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 350–360, 2002.
- F. Z. Yetkin, W. M. Mueller, G. L. Morris et al., “Functional MR activation correlated with intraoperative cortical mapping,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 1311–1315, 1997.
- D. B. FitzGerald, G. R. Cosgrove, S. Ronner et al., “Location of language in the cortex: a comparison between functional MR imaging and electrocortical stimulation,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 1529–1539, 1997.
- M. J. Schlosser, M. Luby, D. D. Spencer, I. A. Awad, and G. Mccarthy, “Comparative localization of auditory comprehension by using functional magnetic resonance imaging and cortical stimulation,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 626–635, 1999.
- A. C. Carpentier, K. R. Pugh, M. Westerveld et al., “Functional MRI of language processing: dependence on input modality and temporal lobe epilepsy,” Epilepsia, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 1241–1254, 2001.
- N. Pouratian, S. Y. Bookheimer, D. E. Rex, N. A. Martin, and A. W. Toga, “Utility of preoperative functional magnetic resonance imaging for identifying language cortices in patients with vascular malformations,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 21–32, 2002.
- F. E. Roux, K. Boulanouar, J. A. Lotterie et al., “Language functional magnetic resonance imaging in preoperative assessment of language areas: correlation with direct cortical stimulation,” Neurosurgery, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1335–1347, 2003.
- J. T. Voyvodic, J. R. Petrella, and A. H. Friedman, “FMRI activation mapping as a percentage of local excitation: consistent presurgical motor maps without threshold adjustment,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 751–759, 2009.
- D. L. Hill, C. R. Maurer Jr., R. J. Maciunas, J. A. Barwise, J. M. Fitzpatrick, and M. Y. Wang, “Measurement of intraoperative brain surface deformation under a craniotomy,” Neurosurgery, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 514–526, 1998.
- A. Wang, S. M. Mirsattari, A. G. Parrent, and T. M. Peters, “Fusion and visualization of intraoperative cortical images with preoperative models for epilepsy surgical planning and guidance,” Computer Aided Surgery, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 149–160, 2011.
- W. H. Backes, K. Deblaere, K. Vonck et al., “Language activation distributions revealed by fMRI in post-operative epilepsy patients: differences between left- and right-sided resections,” Epilepsy Research, vol. 66, no. 1–3, pp. 1–12, 2005.
- S. W. H. Wong, L. Jong, D. Bandur et al., “Cortical reorganization following anterior temporal lobectomy in patients with temporal lobe epilepsy,” Neurology, vol. 73, no. 7, pp. 518–525, 2009.