- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Epilepsy Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 273175, 7 pages
A Seizure Care Pathway in the Emergency Department: Preliminary Quality and Safety Improvements
1Department of Neurology, St James's Hospital, Dublin 8, Ireland
2School of Medicine, Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin, Dublin 2, Ireland
3Department of Emergency Medicine, St James's Hospital, Dublin 8, Ireland
Received 1 December 2011; Accepted 23 January 2012
Academic Editor: Martin J. Brodie
Copyright © 2012 Parameswaran M. Iyer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. D. Shorvon, The Treatment of Epilepsy, Blackwell, Oxford, UK, 2005.
- M. Pugliatti, E. Beghi, L. Forsgren, M. Ekman, and P. Sobocki, “Estimating the cost of epilepsy in Europe: a review with economic modeling,” Epilepsia, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 2224–2233, 2007.
- P. Andlin-Sobocki, B. Jonsson, H. U. Wittchen, and J. Olesen, “Cost of disorders of the brain in Europe,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 12, supplement 1, pp. 1–27, 2005.
- C. Linehan, M. P. Kerr, P. N. Walsh et al., “Examining the prevalence of epilepsy and delivery of epilepsy care in Ireland,” Epilepsia, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 845–852, 2010.
- M. J. G. Dunn, D. P. Breen, R. J. Davenport, and A. J. Gray, “Early management of adults with an uncomplicated first generalised seizure,” Emergency Medicine Journal, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 237–242, 2005.
- G. D. Cascino, D. Hesdorffer, G. Logroscino, and W. Allen Hauser, “Treatment of nonfebrile status epilepticus in Rochester, Minn, from 1965 through 1984,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 39–41, 2001.
- Casemix Ireland, HIPE Coding Auditing Toolkit (HCAT) Information Leaflet, Casemix Ireland, 2007.
- J. Kwan and P. Sandercock, “In-hospital care pathways for stroke: an updated systematic review,” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1348–1349, 2005.
- J. Ryan, S. Nash, and J. Lyndon, “Epilepsy in the accident and emergency department—developing a code of safe practice for adult patients,” Emergency Medicine Journal, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 237–243, 1998.
- H. Bhatt, M. S. Matharu, K. Henderson, and R. Greenwood, “An audit of first seizures presenting to an accident and emergency department,” Seizure, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 58–61, 2005.
- S. D. Pearson, S. F. Kleefield, J. R. Soukop, E. F. Cook, and T. H. Lee, “Critical pathways intervention to reduce length of hospital stay,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 175–180, 2001.
- J. P. Co, K. B. Johnson, A. K. Duggan, J. F. Casella, and M. Wilson, “Does a clinical pathway improve the quality of care for sickle cell anemia?” The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 181–190, 2003.
- S. M. Dy, P. Garg, D. Nyberg et al., “Critical pathway effectiveness: assessing the impact of patient, hospital care, and pathway characteristics using qualitative comparative analysis,” Health Services Research, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 499–516, 2005.
- A. Kawkabani, A. O. Rossetti, and P. A. Despland, “Survey of management of first-ever seizures in a hospital based community,” Swiss Medical Weekly, vol. 134, no. 39-40, pp. 586–592, 2004.
- N. Jackson, N. Delanty, and C. A. Ridge, “Imaging in patients with a first seizure,” Irish Medical Journal, vol. 99, no. 6, 2006.
- Scottish Intercollegiate Guideline Network, “Diagnosis and management of epilepsy in adults,” 2003, http://www.sign.ac.uk/.
- National Institute for Clinical Excellence, “The epilepsies: the diagnosis and management of the epilepsies in adults and children in primary and secondary care,” 2005, http://www.nice.org.uk/.