- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Epilepsy Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 156815, 5 pages
Investigation of Anti-Toxocara Antibodies in Epileptic Patients and Comparison of Two Methods: ELISA and Western Blotting
1Department of Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Lorestan University of Medical Sciences, P.O. Box 381351698,
2Department of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, Kashan University of Medical Sciences, P.O. Box 8715988141, Kashan, Iran
3Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, Lorestan University of Medical Sciences, P.O. Box 381351698, Khorramabad, Iran
4Department of Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, P.O. Box 713451735, Shiraz, Iran
Received 17 July 2012; Revised 14 January 2013; Accepted 14 January 2013
Academic Editor: Raffaele Manni
Copyright © 2013 Mohammad Zibaei et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Azizi, A. Oryan, S. M. Sadjjadi, and M. Zibaei, “Histopathologic changes and larval recovery of Toxocara cati in experimentally infected chickens,” Parasitology Research, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 47–52, 2007.
- D. Despommier, “Toxocariasis: clinical aspects, epidemiology, medical ecology, and molecular aspects,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 265–272, 2003.
- M. Zibaei, S. M. Sadjjadi, S. Ishiyama, B. Sarkari, and S. Uga, “Production of monoclonal antibody against Toxocara cati second-stage larvae and its application for the detection of circulating antigens,” Hybridoma, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 217–220, 2010.
- L. T. Glickman, J. F. Magnaval, and L. M. Domanski, “Visceral larva migrans in French adults: a new disease syndrome?” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 125, no. 6, pp. 1019–1034, 1987.
- P. Jacquier, B. Gottstein, Y. Stingelin, and J. Eckert, “Immunodiagnosis of toxocarosis in humans: evaluation of a new enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay kit,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1831–1835, 1991.
- Z. F. Pollard, W. H. Jarret, and W. S. Hagler, “ELISA for diagnosis of ocular toxocariasis,” Ophthalmology, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 743–749, 1979.
- J. F. Magnaval, R. Fabre, P. Maurieres, J. P. Charlet, and B. De Larrard, “Application of the Western blotting procedure for the immunodiagnosis of human toxocariasis,” Parasitology Research, vol. 77, no. 8, pp. 697–702, 1991.
- J. Logar, B. Soba, A. Kraut, and B. Stirn-Kranjc, “Seroprevalence of Toxocara antibodies among patients suspected of ocular toxocariasis in Slovenia,” The Korean journal of parasitology, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 137–140, 2004.
- S. Mirzayans, A. Eslami, M. Anwar, and M. Sajar, “Gastrointestinal parasite of dogs in Iran,” Tropical Animal Health and Production, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 35–60, 1972.
- A. Eslami and M. Mohebali, “Parasitisme des chencs de bergers et implication en sante public en Iran,” Bulletin de la Société de Pathologie Exotique, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 94–96, 1988.
- M. Zibaei, S. M. Sadjjadi, and B. Sarkari, “Prevalence of Toxocara cati and other intestinal helminths in stray cats in Shiraz, Iran,” Tropical biomedicine, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 39–43, 2007.
- M. Zibaei, F. Abdollahpour, M. Birjandi, and F. Firoozeh, “Soil contamination with Toxocara spp. eggs in the public parks from three areas of Khorram Abad, Iran,” Nepal Medical College Journal, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 63–65, 2010.
- C. Arpino, G. C. Gattinara, D. Piergili, and P. Curatolo, “Toxocara infection and epilepsy in children: a case-control study,” Epilepsia, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 33–36, 1990.
- A. Nicoletti, A. Bartoloni, A. Reggio et al., “Epilepsy, cysticercosis, and toxocariasis: a population-based case-control study in rural Bolivia,” Neurology, vol. 58, no. 8, pp. 1256–1261, 2002.
- A. Nicoletti, V. Sofia, A. Mantella et al., “Epilepsy and toxocariasis: a case-control study in Italy,” Epilepsia, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 594–599, 2008.
- E. W. Stommel, R. Seguin, V. M. Thadani et al., “Cryptogenic epilepsy: an infectious etiology?” Epilepsia, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 436–438, 2001.
- A. Akyol, B. Bicerol, S. Ertug, H. Ertabaklar, and N. Kiylioglu, “Epilepsy and seropositivity rates of Toxocara canis and Toxoplasma gondii,” Seizure, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 233–237, 2007.
- A. S. Winkler, J. Blocher, H. Auer, T. Gotwald, W. Matuja, and E. Schmutzhard, “Anticysticercal and antiToxocaral antibodies in people with epilepsy in rural Tanzania,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 102, no. 10, pp. 1032–1038, 2008.
- M. Zibaei, Z. Zamani, A. Chahichi-Esfahani, K. Anbari, and M. R. Nazer, “Toxoplasma infection and epilepsy: a case-control study in Iran,” Neurology Asia, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 299–302, 2011.
- M. Kaplan, A. Kalkan, S. Kuk, K. Demirdag, M. Ozden, and S. S. Kilic, “Toxocara seroprevalence in schizophrenic patients in Turkey,” Yonsei Medical Journal, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 224–229, 2008.
- S. M. Sadjjadi, M. Khosravi, D. Mehrabani, and A. Oryan, “Seroprevalence of Toxocara infection in school children in Shiraz, Southern Iran,” Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 327–330, 2000.
- J. F. Magnaval, V. Galindo, L. T. Glickman, and M. Clanet, “Human Toxocara infection of the central nervous system and neurological disorders: a case-control study,” Parasitology, vol. 115, no. 5, pp. 537–543, 1997.
- S. H. Gillespie, B. Bidwell, A. Voller, B. D. Robertson, and R. M. Maizels, “Diagnosis of human toxocariasis by antigen capture enzyme linked immunosorbent assay,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 551–554, 1993.
- N. Akao, A. E. Chu, S. Tsukidate, and K. Fujita, “A rapid and sensitive screening kit for the detection of anti-Toxocara larval ES antibodies,” Parasitology International, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 189–195, 1997.
- H. Yamasaki, R. Taib, Y. I. Watanabe et al., “Molecular characterization of a cDNA encoding an excretory-secretory antigen from Toxocara canis second stage larvae and its application to the immunodiagnosis of human toxocariasis,” Parasitology International, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 171–181, 1998.
- H. Y. Park, S. U. Lee, S. Huh, Y. Kong, and J. F. Magnaval, “A seroepidemiological survey for toxocariasis in apparently healthy residents in Gangwon-do, Korea,” Korean Journal of Parasitology, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 113–117, 2002.
- H. Smith, C. Holland, M. Taylor, J. F. Magnaval, P. Schantz, and R. Maizels, “How common is human toxocariasis? Towards standardizing our knowledge,” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 182–188, 2009.