- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Epilepsy Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 309284, 13 pages
Epilepsy Surgery: Factors That Affect Patient Decision-Making in Choosing or Deferring a Procedure
1Department of Neurology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 9200 West Wisconsin Avenue, FWC, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
2Johns Hopkins School Public Health, JHU, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
3Department of Neurology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NY 08901, USA
4Department of Neurology, Penn Epilepsy Center, University of Pennsylvania, HUP, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Received 16 April 2013; Accepted 2 August 2013
Academic Editor: Giangennaro Coppola
Copyright © 2013 Christopher Todd Anderson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Kwan and M. R. Sperling, “Refractory seizures: try additional antiepileptic drugs (after two have failed) or go directly to early surgery evaluation?” Epilepsia, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 57–62, 2009.
- S. Wiebe, W. T. Blume, J. P. Girvin, and M. Eliasziw, “A randomized, controlled trial of surgery for temporal-lobe epilepsy,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 5, pp. 311–318, 2001.
- J. Engel Jr., S. Wiebe, J. French et al., “Practice parameter: temporal lobe and localized neocortical resections for epilepsy,” Epilepsia, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 741–751, 2003.
- J. F. Téllez-Zenteno, R. Dhar, and S. Wiebe, “Long-term seizure outcomes following epilepsy surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Brain, vol. 128, no. 5, pp. 1188–1198, 2005.
- K. Swarztrauber, “Barriers to the management of patients with surgically remediable intractable epilepsy,” CNS Spectrums, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 146–152, 2004.
- K. Swarztrauber, S. Dewar, and J. Engel Jr., “Patient attitudes about treatments for intractable epilepsy,” Epilepsy and Behavior, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 19–25, 2003.
- C. T. Anderson, K. Davis, and G. Baltuch, “An update on brain stimulation for epilepsy,” Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 327–332, 2009.
- C. Carlson, P. Dugan, and J. French, “Progression to epilepsy surgery following presurgical evaluation,” Epilepsy Currents, vol. 12, no. 1, p. 125, 2012.
- R. Kobau, Y. Luo, M. Zack, S. Helmers, and D. J. Thurman, “Epilepsy in adults and access to care—United States, 2010,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 61, no. 45, pp. 909–913, 2012.
- Z. Haneef, J. Stern, S. Dewar, and J. Engel, “Referral pattern for epilepsy surgery after evidence-based recommendations: a retrospective study,” Neurology, vol. 75, no. 8, pp. 699–704, 2010.