- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Epilepsy Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 387510, 4 pages
Slowly Evolving Trends in Temporal Lobe Epilepsy Management at London Health Sciences Centre
London Health Sciences Centre, Western University, London, ON, Canada N6A 5A5
Received 19 January 2012; Accepted 15 June 2012
Academic Editor: Seyed M. Mirsattari
Copyright © 2013 Warren T. Blume. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. G. Penfield and H. H. Jasper, Epilepsy and the Functional Anatomy of the Human Brain, Little Brown, Boston, Mass, USA, 1954.
- H. G. Wieser, J. Engel Jr., P. D. Williamson, T. L. Babb, and P. Gloor, “Surgically remedial temporal lobe syndromes,” in Surgical Treatment of the Epilepsies, J. Engel Jr., Ed., pp. 49–63, Raven Press, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- M. Gabr, H. Luders, D. Dinner, H. Morris, and E. Wyllie, “Speech manifestations in lateralization of temporal lobe seizures,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 82–87, 1989.
- P. Kotagal, H. Luders, H. H. Morris et al., “Dystonic posturing in complex partial seizures of temporal lobe onset: a new lateralizing sign,” Neurology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 196–201, 1989.
- P. Gloor, “Consciousness as a neurological concept in epileptology: a critical review,” Epilepsia, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. S14–S26, 1986.
- D. O. Hebb, “The problem of consciousness and introspection,” in Brain Mechanism and Consciousness, J. F. Delafresnaye, Ed., pp. 402–421, Charles Thomas, Springfield, Ill, USA, 1954.
- W. T. Blume, H. O. Lüders, E. Mizrahi, C. Tassinari, W. van Emde Boas, and J. Engel Jr., “Glossary of descriptive terminology for ictal semiology: report of the ILAE Task Force on classification and terminology,” Epilepsia, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 1212–1218, 2001.
- P. Gloor, “The amygdaloid system: amnesia in temporal lobe epilepsy, clinical and anatomical considerations,” in The Temporal Lobe and Limbic System, P. Gloor, Ed., pp. 710–717, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- W. T. Blume, J. L. Borghesi, and J. F. Lemieux, “Interictal indices of temporal seizure origin,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 703–709, 1993.
- F. A. Gibbs and E. L. Gibbs, Atlas of Electroencephalography, vol. 2 of Epilepsy, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Pa, USA, 1952.
- H. H. Jasper, “The ten-twenty system of the International Federation,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 10, pp. 371–373, 1958.
- R. M. Sadler and J. Goodwin, “Multiple electrodes for detecting spikes in partial complex seizures,” Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 326–329, 1989.
- W. T. Blume, G. B. Young, and J. F. Lemieux, “EEG morphology of partial epileptic seizures,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 295–302, 1984.
- W. T. Blume, G. M. Holloway, and S. Wiebe, “Temporal epileptogenesis: localizing value of scalp and subdural interictal and ictal EEG data,” Epilepsia, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 508–514, 2001.
- R. S. McLachlan, R. L. Nicholson, and S. Black, “Nuclear magnetic resonance imaging, a new approach to the investigation of refractory temporal lobe epilepsy,” Epilepsia, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 555–562, 1985.
- D. H. Lee, F. Q. Gao, J. M. Rogers et al., “MR in temporal lobe epilepsy: analysis with pathologic confirmation,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 19–27, 1998.
- A. Gambardella, A. Palmini, F. Andermann et al., “Usefulness of focal rhythmic discharges on scalp EEG of patients with focal cortical dysplasia and intractable epilepsy,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 243–249, 1996.
- V. Salanova, O. Markand, and R. Worth, “Temporal lobe epilepsy: analysis of patients with dual pathology,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 126–131, 2004.
- R. M. Sadler, “The syndrome of mesial temporal lobe epilepsy with hippocampal sclerosis: clinical features and differential diagnosis,” Advances in Neurology, vol. 97, pp. 27–37, 2006.
- F. Semah, M. C. Picot, C. Adam et al., “Is the underlying cause of epilepsy a major prognostic factor for recurrence?” Neurology, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1256–1262, 1998.
- W. T. Blume, “Clinical intracranial overview of seizure synchrony and spread,” Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. S55–S57, 2009.
- C. Munari and J. Bancaud, “Electroclinical symptomatology of partial seizures of orbital frontal origin.,” in Advances in Neurology: Frontal Lobe Seizures and Epilepsies, P. Chauvel, A. V. Delgado-Escueta, E. Halgren, and J. Bancaud, Eds., vol. 57, pp. 257–265, 1992.
- D. Spencer, “Technical controversies,” in Surgical Treatment of the Epilepsies, J. Engel Jr., Ed., pp. 583–591, Raven Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1993.
- F. J. X. Graydon, J. A. Nunn, C. E. Polkey, and R. G. Morris, “Neuropsychological outcome and the extent of resection in the unilateral temporal lobectomy,” Epilepsy and Behavior, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 140–151, 2001.
- M. Seidenberg, B. Hermann, A. R. Wyler, K. Davies, F. C. Dohan, and C. Leveroni, “Neuropsychological outcome following anterior temporal lobectomy in patients with and without the syndrome of mesial temporal lobe epilepsy,” Neuropsychology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 303–316, 1998.