- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Epilepsy Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 825824, 11 pages
Assessing Systems of Care for US Children with Epilepsy/Seizure Disorder
Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Health Resources and Services Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rm 18-41, Rockville, MD 20857, USA
Received 21 February 2013; Accepted 2 September 2013
Academic Editor: A. Vezzani
Copyright © 2013 Mary Kay Kenney and Marie Mann. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Merck Manual of Medical Information, Simon & Schuster, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2003.
- S. A. Russ, K. Larson, and N. Halfon, “A national profile of childhood epilepsy and seizure disorder,” Pediatrics, vol. 129, no. 2, pp. 256–264, 2012.
- P. Perucca and F. G. Gilliam, “Adverse effects of antiepileptic drugs,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 792–802, 2012.
- R. A. Seymour, J. M. Thomason, and J. S. Ellis, “The pathogenesis of drug-induced gingival overgrowth,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 165–175, 1996.
- National Research Council, Epilepsy Across the Spectrum: Promoting Health and Understanding, The National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2012.
- C. E. Begley, R. Basu, D. Lairson et al., “Socioeconomic status, health care use, and outcomes: persistence of disparities over time,” Epilepsia, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 957–964, 2011.
- F. Farhidvash, P. Singh, B. Abou-Khalil, and A. Arain, “Patients visiting the emergency room for seizures: insurance status and clinic follow-up,” Seizure, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 644–647, 2009.
- M. T. Halpern, J. M. Renaud, and B. G. Vickrey, “Impact of insurance status on access to care and out-of-pocket costs for U.S. individuals with epilepsy,” Epilepsy and Behavior, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 483–489, 2011.
- J. Bisgaier and K. V. Rhodes, “Auditing access to specialty care for children with public insurance,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 364, no. 24, pp. 2324–2333, 2011.
- D. Polsky, J. Weiner, J. F. Bale Jr., S. Ashwal, and M. J. Painter, “Specialty care by child neurologists: a workforce analysis,” Neurology, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 942–948, 2005.
- B. B. Strickland, P. C. van Dyck, M. D. Kogan et al., “Assessing and ensuring a comprehensive system of services for children with special health care needs: a public health approach,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 224–231, 2011.
- M. McPherson, P. Arango, H. Fox et al., “A new definition of children with special health care needs,” Pediatrics, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 137–140, 1998.
- S. J. Blumberg, E. M. Welch, S. R. Chowdhury, H. L. Upchurch, E. K. Parker, and B. J. Skalland, “Design and operation of the National Survey of Children with Special Health Care Needs, 2005-2006,” Vital and Health Statistics, no. 45, pp. 1–188, 2008.
- C. D. Bethell, D. Read, R. E. Stein, S. J. Blumberg, N. Wells, and P. W. Newacheck, “Identifying children with special health care needs: development and evaluation of a short screening instrument,” Ambulatory Pediatrics, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 38–48, 2002.
- L. D. Cowan, “The epidemiology of epilepsies in children,” Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 171–181, 2002.
- S. L. Toomey, A. T. Chien, M. N. Elliott, J. Ratner, and M. A. Schuster, “Disparities in unmet need for care coordination: The National Survey of Children's Health,” Pediatrics, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 217–224, 2013.
- J. K. Austin and R. Caplan, “Behavioral and psychiatric comorbidities in pediatric epilepsy: toward an integrative model,” Epilepsia, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 1639–1651, 2007.
- J. M. Buelow, A. McNelis, C. P. Shore, and J. K. Austin, “Stressors of parents of children with epilepsy and intellectual disability,” The Journal of Neuroscience Nursing, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 147–176, 2006.
- R. C. Antonelli, J. W. McAllister, and J. Popp, “Making care coordination a critical component of the pediatric health system: a multidisciplinary framework,” The Commonwealth Fund, vol. 110, 2009, http://www.commonwealthfund.org/Publications/Fund-Reports/2009/May/Making-Care-Coordination-a-Critical-Component-of-the-Pediatric-Health-System.aspx#citation.
- National Quality Forum, Quality Connections: Care Coordination, NQF, Washington, DC, USA, 2010.