- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Epilepsy Research and Treatment
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 856735, 7 pages
Adaptive Skills and Somatization in Children with Epilepsy
1Texas A&M University, College Station, TX 77843-4225, USA
2Department of Educational Psychology, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX 77843-4225, USA
3Children’s Hospital of Georgia, BT-2601, 1446 Harper Street, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Received 30 September 2013; Accepted 20 November 2013; Published 27 January 2014
Academic Editor: Joseph I. Sirven
Copyright © 2014 Nichole Wicker Villarreal et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. P. Aldenkamp, B. Weber, W. C. G. Overweg-Plandsoen, R. Reijs, and S. van Mil, “Educational underachievement in children with epilepsy: a model to predict the effects of epilepsy on educational achievement,” Journal of Child Neurology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 175–180, 2005.
- S. Davies, I. Heyman, and R. Goodman, “A population survey of mental health problems in children with epilepsy,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 292–295, 2003.
- S. A. Russ, K. Larson, and N. Halfon, “A national profile of childhood epilepsy and seizure disorder,” Pediatrics, vol. 129, no. 2, pp. 256–264, 2012.
- C. E. Elger and D. Schmidt, “Modern management of epilepsy: a practical approach,” Epilepsy and Behavior, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 501–539, 2008.
- M. Sillanpää and J. H. Cross, “The psychosocial impact of epilepsy in childhood,” Epilepsy & Behavior, vol. 15, pp. S5–S10, 2009.
- C. Camfield, P. Camfield, B. Smith, K. Gordon, and J. Dooley, “Biologic factors as predictors of social outcome of epilepsy in intellectually normal children: a population-based study,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 122, no. 6, pp. 869–873, 1993.
- M. Jalava, M. Sillanpää, C. Camfield, and P. Camfield, “Social adjustment and competence 35 years after onset of childhood epilepsy: a prospective controlled study,” Epilepsia, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 708–715, 1997.
- R. Rodenburg, A. M. Meijer, M. Deković, and A. P. Aldenkamp, “Family predictors of psychopathology in children with epilepsy,” Epilepsia, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 601–614, 2006.
- J. B. Titus, R. Kanive, S. J. Sanders, and L. B. Blackburn, “Behavioral profiles of children with epilepsy: parent and teacher reports of emotional, behavioral, and educational concerns on the BASC-2,” Psychology in the Schools, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 893–904, 2008.
- J. Kokkonen, E.-R. Kokkonen, A.-L. Saukkonen, and P. Pennanen, “Psychosocial outcome of young adults with epilepsy in childhood,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 265–268, 1997.
- M. Sillanpää, M. Jalava, O. Kaleva, and S. Shinnar, “Long-term prognosis of seizures with onset in childhood,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 338, no. 24, pp. 1715–1722, 1998.
- J. K. Austin and D. W. Dunn, “Progressive behavioral changes in children with epilepsy,” Progress in Brain Research, vol. 135, pp. 419–427, 2002.
- J. K. Austin, D. W. Dunn, C. S. Johnson, and S. M. Perkins, “Behavioral issues involving children and adolescents with epilepsy and the impact of their families: recent research data,” Epilepsy and Behavior, vol. 5, supplement 3, pp. S33–S41, 2004.
- S. E. Sabbagh, C. Soria, S. Escolano, C. Bulteau, and G. Dellatolas, “Impact of epilepsy characteristics and behavioral problems on school placement in children,” Epilepsy and Behavior, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 573–578, 2006.
- N. Ellis, D. Upton, and P. Thompson, “Epilepsy and the family: a review of current literature,” Seizure, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 22–30, 2000.
- C. G. McCusker, P. J. Kennedy, J. Anderson, E. M. Hicks, and D. Hanrahan, “Adjustment in children with intractable epilepsy: importance of seizure duration and family factors,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 681–687, 2002.
- J. K. Austin and R. Caplan, “Behavioral and psychiatric comorbidities in pediatric epilepsy: toward an integrative model,” Epilepsia, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 1639–1651, 2007.
- A. T. Berg, R. Caplan, and D. C. Hesdorffer, “Psychiatric and neurodevelopmental disorders in childhood-onset epilepsy,” Epilepsy and Behavior, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 550–555, 2011.
- A. T. Berg, S. N. Smith, D. Frobish et al., “Longitudinal assessment of adaptive behavior in infants and young children with newly diagnosed epilepsy: influences of etiology, syndrome, and seizure control,” Pediatrics, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 645–650, 2004.
- E. H. Drewel, D. J. Bell, and J. K. Austin, “Peer difficulties in children with epilepsy: association with seizure, neuropsychological, academic, and behavioral variables,” Child Neuropsychology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 305–320, 2009.
- L. E. Clary, J. S. Vander Wal, and J. B. Titus, “Examining health-related quality of life, adaptive skills, and psychological functioning in children and adolescents with epilepsy presenting for a neuropsychological evaluation,” Epilepsy and Behavior, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 487–493, 2010.
- J. M. Buelow, S. M. Perkins, C. S. Johnson et al., “Adaptive functioning in children with epilepsy and learning problems,” Journal of Child Neurology, vol. 27, pp. 1241–1249, 2012.
- J. L. Matson, J. W. Bamburg, E. A. Mayville, and I. Khan, “Seizure disorders in people with intellectual disability: an analysis of differences in social functioning, adaptive functioning and maladaptive behaviours,” Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 531–539, 1999.
- W. van Blarikom, I. Y. Tan, A. P. Aldenkamp, and A. T. G. van Gennep, “Living environment of persons with severe epilepsy and intellectual disability: a prospective study,” Epilepsy and Behavior, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 484–490, 2009.
- A. T. Berg, R. Caplan, C. B. Baca, and B. G. Vickrey, “Adaptive behavior and later school achievement in children with early onset epilepsy,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 55, pp. 661–667, 2013.
- J. M. Buelow, J. K. Austin, S. M. Perkins, J. Shen, D. W. Dunn, and P. S. Fastenau, “Behavior and mental health problems in children with epilepsy and low IQ,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 683–692, 2003.
- J. J. Barry, A. Lembke, P. A. Gisbert, and F. Gilliam, “disorders in epilepsy,” in Psychiatric Issues in Epilepsy, B. Ettinger and A. M. Kanner, Eds., pp. 203–247, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2nd edition, 2007.
- A. Piazzini and R. Canger, “Depression and anxiety in patients with epilepsy,” Epilepsia, vol. 42, supplement 2, pp. 29–31, 2001.
- C. B. Baca, B. G. Vickrey, R. Caplan, S. D. Vassar, and A. T. Berg, “Psychiatric and medical comorbidity and quality of life outcomes in childhood-onset epilepsy,” Pediatrics, vol. 128, no. 6, pp. e1532–e1543, 2011.
- C. R. Reynolds and R. W. Kamphaus, Behavioral Assessment System for Children Manual, American Guidance Service, Circle Pines, Minn, USA, 1997.
- C. R. Reynolds and R. W. Kamphaus, BASC-2: Behavioral Assessment System for Children Manual, American Guidance Service, Circle Pines, Minn, USA, 2nd edition, 2004.
- D. Wechsler, Wechsler Intelligence for Children, Technical Manual, Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, Tex, USA, 3rd edition, 1991.
- D. Wechsler, Wechsler Intelligence for Children, Technical Manual, Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, Tex, USA, 4th edition, 2003.
- S. P. Merydith, “Temporal Stability and Convergent Validity of the Behavior Assessment System for Children,” Journal of School Psychology, vol. 3, pp. 253–265, 2001.
- T. M. Achenbach and L. A. Rescorla, Manual for the ASEBA School-Aged Forms and Profiles, University of Vermont, Research Center for Children, Youth, & Families, Burlington, Mass, USA, 2001.
- T. J. Huberty, J. K. Austin, J. Harezlak, D. W. Dunn, and W. T. Ambrosius, “Informant agreement in behavior ratings for children with epilepsy,” Epilepsy and Behavior, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 427–435, 2000.