- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Genetics Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 786930, 4 pages
Genetic Testing for Minors: Comparison between Italian and British Guidelines
Department of Environmental Medicine and Public Health, Legal Medicine Unit, University of Padua, Via Falloppio 50, 35121 Padua, Italy
Received 12 August 2011; Revised 21 November 2011; Accepted 13 December 2011
Academic Editor: Andrea Vicini
Copyright © 2012 Pamela Tozzo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Borry, J. P. Fryns, P. Schotsmans, and K. Dierickx, “Carrier testing in minors: a systematic review of guidelines and position papers,” European Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 133–138, 2006.
- P. Borry, L. Stultiens, H. Nys, J. J. Cassiman, and K. Dierickx, “Presymptomatic and predictive genetic testing in minors: a systematic review of guidelines and position papers,” Clinical Genetics, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 374–381, 2006.
- D. S. Davis, “Genetic dilemmas and the child's right to an open future,” Rutgers Law Journal, vol. 28, pp. 549–592, 1997.
- L. F. Ross and M. R. Moon, “Ethical issues in genetic testing of children,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 154, no. 9, pp. 873–879, 2000.
- D. C. Wertz, J. H. Fanos, and P. R. Reilly, “Genetic testing for children and adolescents: who decides?” JAMA, vol. 272, no. 11, pp. 875–881, 1994.
- J. H. Fanos, “Developmental tasks of chilhood and adolescence: implications for genetic testing,” American Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 22–28, 1997.
- UN. Convention on the Rights of the Child Adopted and opened for signature, ratification and accession by General Assembly resolution 44/25 of 20 November 1989 entry into force 2 September 1990, http://www2.ohchr.org/english/law/crc.htm.
- L. Plantinga, M. R. Natowicz, N. E. Kass, S. C. Hull, L. O. Gostin, and R. R. Faden, “Disclosure, confidentiality, and families: experiences and attitudes of those with genetic versus nongenetic medical conditions,” American Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 51–59, 2003.
- A. Kent, “Consent and confidentiality in genetics: whose information is it anyway?” Journal of Medical Ethics, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 16–18, 2003.
- L. O. Gostin, “Genetic privacy,” The Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 320–330, 1995.
- P. Borry, H. Nys, and K. Dierickx, “Carrier testing in minors: conflicting views,” Nature Reviews Genetics, vol. 8, no. 11, article 828, 2007.
- T. Bruni, M. Mameli, G. Pravettoni, and G. Boniolo, “Cystic fibrosis carrier screening in Veneto (Italy): an ethical analysis,” Medicine, Health Care and Philosophy. In press.
- The British Society for Human Genetics (BSHG), Genetic testing of Children. Report of a working party of the British Society for Human Genetics, 2010, http://www.bshg.org.uk/GTOC_2010_BSHG.pdf.
- Permanent Conference for Relations between State, Regions and Autonomous Provinces of Trent and Bolzano, “Accordo tra il Ministro della salute, le Regioni e le Province autonome di Trento e Bolzano sul documento recante ‘Linee-guida per le attività di genetica medica’,” July 2004, http://www.governo.it/backoffice/allegati/22925-2077.pdf.
- R. E. Duncan, “Predictive genetic testing in young people: when is it appropriate?” Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 593–595, 2004.
- Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Dignity of the Human Being with regard to the Application of Biology and Medicine. Convention on Human Rights and Biomedicine. Oviedo, 1997, http://www.coe.int/t/dg3/healthbioethic/Activities/01_Oviedo%20Convention/.