- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 212563, 11 pages
TLR4 and Insulin Resistance
1Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Diego, CA 92093-0673, USA
2Rady Children's Hospital, San Diego, CA 92093-0673, USA
3Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0673, USA
Received 21 April 2010; Accepted 24 June 2010
Academic Editor: Ekihiro Seki
Copyright © 2010 Jane J. Kim and Dorothy D. Sears. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [40 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Ahmed Abu-Shanab, and Eamonn M. M. Quigley, “The role of the gut microbiota in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 691–701, 2010.
- J. N. Fain, “Correlative studies on the effects of obesity, diabetes and hypertension on gene expression in omental adipose tissue of obese women,” Nutrition & Diabetes, vol. 1, 2011.
- José Augusto Nogueira-Machado, Caroline Maria de Oliveira Volpe, Clara Araujo Veloso, and Miriam Martins Chaves, “HMGB1, TLR and RAGE: a functional tripod that leads to diabetic inflammation,” Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Targets, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1023–1035, 2011.
- A. C. Manolakis, A. N. Kapsoritakis, E. K. Tiaka, A. Sidiropoulos, A. Gerovassili, M. Satra, D. Vamvakopoulou, F. Tsiopoulos, N. Papanas, I. Skoularigis, S. P. Potamianos, and N. Vamvakopoulos, “TLR4 gene polymorphisms: evidence for protection against type 2 diabetes but not for diabetes-associated ischaemic heart disease,” European Journal Of Endocrinology, vol. 165, no. 2, pp. 261–267, 2011.
- Sarah A. Robertson, Peck Yin Chin, Danielle J. Glynn, and Jeremy G. Thompson, “Peri-Conceptual Cytokines - Setting the Trajectory for Embryo Implantation, Pregnancy and Beyond,” American Journal of Reproductive Immunology, vol. 66, pp. 2–10, 2011.
- Manuel Fresno, Ruth Alvarez, and Natalia Cuesta, “Toll-like receptors, inflammation, metabolism and obesity,” Archives of Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 151–164, 2011.
- Sungsoon Fang, Jae Myoung Suh, Annette R. Atkins, Suk-Hyun Hong, Mathias Leblanc, Russell R. Nofsinger, Ruth T. Yu, Michael Downes, and Ronald M. Evans, “Corepressor SMRT promotes oxidative phosphorylation in adipose tissue and protects against diet-induced obesity and insulin resistance,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 108, no. 8, pp. 3412–3417, 2011.
- Riccardina Tesse, Maximilian Schieck, and Michael Kabesch, “Asthma and endocrine disorders: Shared mechanisms and genetic pleiotropy,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 333, no. 2, pp. 103–111, 2011.
- Devadoss J. Samuvel, Junfei Jin, Kamala P. Sundararaj, Yanchun Li, Xiaoming Zhang, Maria F. Lopes-Virella, and Yan Huang, “TLR4 Activation and IL-6-Mediated Cross Talk between Adipocytes and Mononuclear Cells Synergistically Stimulate MMP-1 Expression,” Endocrinology, vol. 152, no. 12, pp. 4662–4671, 2011.
- Mariana H. Garcia-Hernandez, Liliana Portales-Cervantes, Nancy Cortez-Espinosa, Juan M. Vargas-Morales, Juan F. Fritche Salazar, Emmanuel Rivera-Lopez, Javier G. Rodriguez-Rivera, Roberto Quezada-Calvillo, and Diana P. Portales-Perez, “Expression and function of P2X(7) receptor and CD39/Entpd1 in patients with type 2 diabetes and their association with biochemical parameters,” Cellular Immunology, vol. 269, no. 2, pp. 135–143, 2011.
- Rebeca Garcia-Macedo, Carmen Maldonado-Bernal, Miguel Cruz, Angeles Fortis, and Francisco Alarcon-Aguilar, “The role of innate immunity in obesity,” Salud Publica De Mexico, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 171–177, 2012.
- Ekihiro Seki, and Bernd Schnabl, “Role of innate immunity and the microbiota in liver fibrosis: crosstalk between the liver and gut,” Journal Of Physiology-London, vol. 590, no. 3, pp. 447–458, 2012.
- Han-Qiang Liu, Ya Qiu, Ying Mu, Xian-Jiao Zhang, Lu Liu, Xiang-Hong Hou, Lei Zhang, Xiao-Na Xu, Ai-Ling Ji, Rui Cao, Rui-Hua Yang, and Feng Wang, “A high ratio of dietary n-3/n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids improves obesity-linked inflammation and insulin resistance through suppressing activation of TLR4 in SD rats,” Nutrition Research, 2013.
- Ruchi Mathur, Gene Kim, Walter Morales, Jaekyu Sung, Emily Rooks, Venkata Pokkunuri, Stacy Weitsman, Gillian M. Barlow, Christopher Chang, and Mark Pimentel, “ Intestinal Methanobrevibacter smithii but not total bacteria is related to diet-induced weight gain in rats ,” Obesity, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 748–754, 2013.
- Anastassios C. Manolakis, Andreas N. Kapsoritakis, Anastasia Kapsoritaki, Elisavet K. Tiaka, Konstantinos A. Oikonomou, Vassilis Lotis, Dimitra Vamvakopoulou, Ioanna Davidi, Nikolaos Vamvakopoulos, and Spyros P. Potamianos, “Readressing the Role of Toll-Like Receptor-4 Alleles in Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Colitis, Smoking, and Seroreactivity,” Digestive Diseases And Sciences, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 371–380, 2013.
- Jamille Silveira Fernandes Chamon, Fernanda Sarmento Fagundes-Netto, Raquel Miranda Gonzaga, Pollyanna Stephanie Gomes, Caroline Maria de Oliveira Volpe, and José Augusto Nogueira-Machado, “Absence of pyruvate anti-oxidant effect on granulocytes stimulated toll-like receptors,” Free Radicals and Antioxidants, 2013.
- M. Lin, and S. C. W. Tang, “Toll-like receptors: sensing and reacting to diabetic injury in the kidney,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, 2013.
- Ran Meng, Dalong Zhu, Yan Bi, Donghui Yang, and Yaping Wang, “Erythropoietin Inhibits Gluconeogenesis and Inflammation in the Liver and Improves Glucose Intolerance in High-Fat Diet-Fed Mice,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 1, 2013.
- M. Levin, S. -O. Olofsson, and M. -R. Taskinen, “Ectopic lipid storage and insulin resistance: a harmful relationship,” Journal Of Internal Medicine, vol. 274, no. 1, pp. 25–40, 2013.
- Gillian M. Barlow, Mark Pimentel, Jaekyu Sung, Venkata Pokkunuri, Stacy Weitsman, Ruchi Mathur, Walter Morales, Emily Rooks, Christopher Chang, and Gene Kim, “Intestinal Methanobrevibacter smithii but Not Total Bacteria is Related to Diet-Induced Weight Gain in Rats,” Obesity, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 748–754, 2013.
- Wei Fan, Koichi Nakazawa, Shinya Abe, Miori Inoue, Masanobu Kitagawa, Noriyuki Nagahara, and Koshi Makita, “Inhaled aerosolized insulin ameliorates hyperglycemia-induced inflammatory responses in the lungs in an experimental model of acute lung injury,” Critical Care, vol. 17, no. 2, 2013.
- Catherine J. Andersen, Ji-Young Lee, Christopher N. Blesso, Timothy P. Carr, and Maria Luz Fernandez, “Egg Intake during Carbohydrate Restriction Alters Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cell Inflammation and Cholesterol Homeostasis in Metabolic Syndrome,” Nutrients, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 2650–2667, 2014.
- Amanda J Cox, Nicholas P West, and Allan W Cripps, “Obesity, inflammation, and the gut microbiota,” The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology, 2014.
- Aline Corado Gomes, Allain Amador Bueno, Ravila Graziany Machado de Souza, and Joao Felipe Mota, “Gut microbiota, probiotics and diabetes,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 13, 2014.
- Kohei Uchimura, Manabu Hayata, Teruhiko Mizumoto, Yoshikazu Miyasato, Yutaka Kakizoe, Jun Morinaga, Tomoaki Onoue, Rika Yamazoe, Miki Ueda, Masataka Adachi, Taku Miyoshi, Naoki Shiraishi, Wataru Ogawa, Kazuki Fukuda, Tatsuya Kondo, Takeshi Matsumura, Eiichi Araki, Kimio Tomita, and Kenichiro Kitamura, “The serine protease prostasin regulates hepatic insulin sensitivity by modulating TLR4 signalling,” Nature Communications, vol. 5, 2014.
- M. Remely, E. Aumueller, D. Jahn, B. Hippe, H. Brath, and A. G. Haslberger, “Microbiota and epigenetic regulation of inflammatory mediators in type 2 diabetes and obesity,” Beneficial Microbes, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 33–43, 2014.
- Connie W. Y. Ha, Yan Y. Lam, and Andrew J. Holmes, “Mechanistic links between gut microbial community dynamics, microbial functions and metabolic health,” World Journal Of Gastroenterology, vol. 20, no. 44, pp. 16498–16517, 2014.
- Wai Han Yiu, Miao Lin, and Sydney C W Tang, “Toll-like receptor activation: from renal inflammation to fibrosis,” Kidney International Supplements, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 20–25, 2014.
- Noha M. Shawky, George S. G. Shehatou, Mona Abdel Rahim, Ghada M. Suddek, and Nariman M. Gameil, “Levocetirizine ameliorates high fructose diet-induced insulin resistance, vascular dysfunction and hepatic steatosis in rats,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 740, pp. 353–363, 2014.
- Kim-Tiu Teng, Chee-Yan Chang, Lin Faun Chang, and Kalanithi Nesaretnam, “Modulation of obesity-induced inflammation by dietary fats: mechanisms and clinical evidence,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 13, 2014.
- Carmela Rita Balistreri, Anna Rita Bonfigli, Massimo Boemi, Fabiola Olivieri, Antonio Ceriello, Stefano Genovese, Claudio Franceschi, Liana Spazzafumo, Paolo Fabietti, Giuseppina Candore, Calogero Caruso, Domenico Lio, and Roberto Testa, “Evidences of +896 A/G TLR4 Polymorphism as an Indicative of Prevalence of Complications in T2DM Patients,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2014, pp. 1–8, 2014.
- Ruchi Mathur, Deepinder Goyal, Gene Kim, Gillian M Barlow, Kathleen S Chua, and Mark Pimentel, “Methane-producing human subjects have higher serum glucose levels during oral glucose challenge than non-methane producers: a pilot study of the effects of enteric methanogens on glycemic regulation,” Research Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 2, 2014.
- Muthukumaran Jayachandran, Balaji Chandrasekaran, and Nalini Namasiyayam, “Geraniol attenuates fibrosis and exerts anti-inflammatory effects on diet induced atherogenesis by NF-kappa B signaling pathway,” European Journal Of Pharmacology, vol. 762, pp. 102–111, 2015.
- Robert Caesar, Valentina Tremaroli, Petia Kovatcheva-Datchary, Patrice D. Cani, and Fredrik Bäckhed, “Crosstalk between Gut Microbiota and Dietary Lipids Aggravates WAT Inflammation through TLR Signaling,” Cell Metabolism, 2015.
- Xiaohui Xu, Tao Liang, Xing Lin, Qingwei Wen, Xingmei Liang, Weisi Li, Feizhang Qin, Ni Zheng, Jianjun Ming, and Renbin Huang, “Effect of the Total Extract of Averrhoacarambola(Oxalidaceae) Root on the Expression Levels of TLR4 and NF-kappa B in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic ,” Cellular Physiology And Biochemistry, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 2307–2316, 2015.
- Elizabeth Rendina-Ruedy, Jennifer L. Graef, McKale R. Davis, Kelsey D. Hembree, Jeffrey M. Gimble, Stephen L. Clarke, Edralin A. Lucas, and Brenda J. Smith, “Strain differences in the attenuation of bone accrual in a young growing mouse model of insulin resistance,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism, 2015.
- Jong-Jer Lee, Pei-Wen Wang, I-Hui Yang, Hsiu-Mei Huang, Chia-Shiang Chang, Chia-Lin Wu, and Jiin-Haur Chuang, “High-Fat Diet Induces Toll-Like Receptor 4-Dependent Macrophage/Microglial Cell Activation and Retinal Impairment,” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 3041–3050, 2015.
- Mauricio Krause, Patricia Martins Bock, Hilton Kenji Takahashi, Paulo Ivo Homem De Bittencourt, and Philip Newsholme, “The regulatory roles of NADPH oxidase, intra- and extra-cellular HSP70 in pancreatic islet function, dysfunction and diabetes,” Clinical Science, vol. 128, no. 11, pp. 789–803, 2015.
- A. Singh, G. Boden, and A. K. Rao, “Tissue factor and Toll-like receptor (TLR)4 in hyperglycaemia-hyperinsulinaemia,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 113, no. 4, pp. 750–758, 2015.
- Mauricio Krause, Thiago Gomes Heck, Aline Bittencourt, Sofia Pizzato Scomazzon, Philip Newsholme, Rui Curi, and Paulo Ivo Homem de Bittencourt, “The Chaperone Balance Hypothesis: The Importance of the Extracellular to Intracellular HSP70 Ratio to Inflammation-Driven Type 2 Diabetes, the Effect of Exercise, and the Implications for Clinical Management,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2015, pp. 1–12, 2015.