- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 783196, 8 pages
Efficacy of Diosmectite (Smecta)® in the Treatment of Acute Watery Diarrhoea in Adults: A Multicentre, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel Group Study
183 avenue Mohamed V, 1002 Tunis, Tunisia
2Regional Hospital, Route Mornag—Yasminet, 2013 Ben Arous, Tunisia
3Tahar Mamouri Regional Hospital, 8000 Nabeul, Tunisia
4Interior Security Forces Hospital, 2070 La Marsa, Tunisia
5Charles Nicolle Hospital, Boulevard du 9 avril, 1006 Tunis, Tunisia
6Ipsen, 65 quai Georges Gorse, 92100 Boulogne-Billancourt, France
7Univ Lille Nord de France, F-59000 Lille, France
8CHU Lille, F 59000 Lille, France
Received 1 February 2011; Revised 29 March 2011; Accepted 27 April 2011
Academic Editor: A. Castells
Copyright © 2011 Faouzi Khediri et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Kosek, C. Bern, and R. L. Guerrant, “The global burden of diarrhoeal disease, as estimated from studies published between 1992 and 2000,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 197–204, 2003.
- W. E. Garthright, D. L. Archer, and J. E. Kvenberg, “Estimates of incidence and costs of intestinal infectious diseases in the United States,” Public Health Reports, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 107–115, 1988.
- R. L. Guerrant, J. M. Hughes, N. L. Lima, and J. Crane, “Diarrhea in developed and developing countries: magnitude, special settings, and etiologies,” Reviews of Infectious Diseases, vol. 12, supplement 1, pp. S41–S50, 1990.
- N. M. Thielman and R. L. Guerrant, “Acute infectious diarrhea,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 1, pp. 38–47, 2004.
- P. Avendano, D. O. Matson, J. Long, S. Whitney, C. C. Matson, and L. K. Pickering, “Costs associated with office visits for diarrhea in infants and toddlers,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 897–902, 1993.
- D. Wingate, S. F. Phillips, S. J. Lewis et al., “Guidelines for adults on self-medication for the treatment of acute diarrhoea,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 773–782, 2001.
- S. Manatsathit, H. L. Dupont, M. Farthing et al., “Guideline for the management of acute diarrhea in adults,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 17, supplement 1, pp. S54–S71, 2002.
- WHO diarrhoeal Disease Control Program, “Drugs in the management of acute diarrhoea in infants and young children,” Report WHO/CDD/CMT/86.1, 1986.
- H. Szajewska, P. Dziechciarz, and J. Mrukowicz, “Meta-analysis: smectite in the treatment of acute infectious diarrhoea in children,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 217–227, 2006.
- C. Dupont, J. L. K. Foo, P. Garnier, N. Moore, H. Mathiex-Fortunet, and E. Salazar-Lindo, “Oral diosmectite reduces stool output and diarrhea duration in children with acute watery diarrhea,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 456–462, 2009.
- N. De Sola Pool, K. Loehle, A. J. Radzik, and J. Kinsley, “A comparison of nonsystemic and systemic antidiarrheal agents in the treatment of acute nonspecific diarrhea in adults,” Today's Therapeutic Trends, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 31–38, 1987.
- H. L. DuPont, C. D. Ericsson, M. W. DuPont, A. C. Luna, and J. J. Mathewson, “A randomized, open-label comparison of nonprescription loperamide and attapulgite in the symptomatic treatment of acute diarrhea,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 88, no. 6, pp. 20S–23S, 1990.
- W. Leber, “A new suspension form of smectite (Liquid "Diasorb") for the treatment of acute diarrhoea: a randomized comparative study,” Pharmatherapeutica, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 256–260, 1987.
- Y. M. Van Maercke and M. Mallend, “Comparative clinical trial of Diasorb and loperamide in acute diarrhea in adults,” Tijdschrift Voor Gastro-Enterologie, vol. 17, pp. 367–371, 1987.
- F. Y. Chang, C. L. Lu, C. Y. Chen, and J. C. Luo, “Efficacy of dioctahedral smectite in treating patients of diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 2266–2272, 2007.
- Y. Yao-Zong, L. Shi-Rong, and M. Delvaux, “Comparative efficacy of dioctahedral smectite (Smecta) and a probiotic preparation in chronic functional diarrhoea,” Digestive and Liver Disease, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 824–828, 2004.
- J. Hombrick, “Prevention of radiation-induced diarrhea by smectite. Results of a double-blind randomized, placebo-controlled multicenter study,” Strahlentherapie und Onkologie, vol. 176, pp. 173–179, 2000.
- J. Duffour, S. Gourgou, J. F. Seitz et al., “Efficacy of prophylactic anti-diarrhoeal treatment in patients receiving campto for advanced colorectal cancer,” Anticancer Research, vol. 22, pp. 3727–3731, 2002.
- A. Mastroianni, C. Cancellieri, O. Coronado, R. Manfredi, F. Chiodo, and S. Pignatari, “Smectile in AIDS-associated chronic idiopathic diarrheaDiosmectite nella diarrea cronica idiopatica in corso di AIDS,” Minerva Gastroenterologica e Dietologica, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 231–234, 1998.
- J. Fioramonti, M. J. Fargeas, and L. Bueno, “Action of T-2 toxin on gastrointestinal transit in mice: protective effect of an argillaceous compound,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 227–232, 1987.
- L. Mahraoui, M. Heyman, O. Plique, M. T. Droy-Lefaix, and J. F. Desjeux, “Apical effect of diosmectite on damage to the intestinal barrier induced by basal tumour necrosis factor-α,” Gut, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 339–343, 1997.
- J. Moré, F. Bénazet, J. Fioramonti, and M. T. Droy-Lefaix, “Effects of treatment with smectite on gastric and intestinal glycoproteins in the rat: a histochemical study,” The Histochemical Journal, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 665–670, 1987.
- C. Fendri, A. Slim, Z. Arrouji et al., “Role of Campylobacter in the etiology of diarrheas in Tunisia,” Tunisie Medicale, vol. 67, no. 8-9, pp. 517–520, 1989.
- S. J. Lewis and K. W. Heaton, “Stool form scale as a useful guide to intestinal transit time,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 920–924, 1997.
- H. L. DuPont, “Guidelines on acute infectious diarrhea in adults,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 92, no. 11, pp. 1962–1975, 1997.
- “Guidelines for the clinical evaluation of antidiarrheal drugs,” Edited by FDA US Department of Health Education and Welfare; 1977: HEW (FDA) 78: 3049.
- I. W. Hughes, “First-line treatment in acute non-dysenteric diarrhoea: clinical comparison of loperamide oxide, loperamide and placebo. UK Janssen Research Group of General Practitioners,” British Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 49, pp. 181–185, 1995.
- A. Dettmer, “Loperamide oxide in the treatment of acute diarrhea in adults,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 972–980, 1994.
- J. W. M. Dreverman and A. J. M. Van der Poel, “Loperamide oxide in acute diarrhoea: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 441–446, 1995.
- F. P. L. Van Loon, M. L. Bennish, P. Speelman, and C. Butler, “Double blind trial of loperamide for treating acute watery diarrhoea in expatriates in Bangladesh,” Gut, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 492–495, 1989.