- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 141585, 7 pages
Prevention of Peritoneal Metastases from Colon Cancer in High-Risk Patients: Preliminary Results of Surgery plus Prophylactic HIPEC
1Dipartimento di Chirurgia Pietro Valdoni, Azienda Policlinico Umberto I, Università degli Studi di Roma “La Sapienza,” 00161 Roma, Italy
2Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale, Azienda Policlinico Umberto I, Università degli Studi di Roma “La Sapienza,” 00161 Roma, Italy
Received 26 January 2012; Accepted 17 February 2012
Academic Editor: Paul H. Sugarbaker
Copyright © 2012 Paolo Sammartino et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Z. J. Chu, N. P. Lang, C. Thompson, P. K. Osteen, and K. C. Westbrook, “Peritoneal carcinomatosis in nongynecologic malignancy. A prospective study of prognostic factors,” Cancer, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 364–367, 1989.
- B. Sadeghi, C. Arvieux, O. Glehen et al., “Peritoneal carcinomatosis from non-gynecologic malignancies: results of the EVOCAPE 1 multicentric prospective study,” Cancer, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 358–363, 2000.
- D. G. Jayne, S. Fook, C. Loi, and F. Seow-Choen, “Peritoneal carcinomatosis from colorectal cancer,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 89, no. 12, pp. 1545–1550, 2002.
- A. Gómez Portilla, I. Cendoya, I. López De Tejada et al., “Peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal origin. Current treatment. Review and update,” Revista Espanola de Enfermedades Digestivas, vol. 97, no. 10, pp. 716–737, 2005.
- V. E. Lemmens, Y. L. Klaver, V. J. Verwaal, H. J. Rutten, J. W.W. Coebergh, and I. H. De Hingh, “Predictors and survival of synchronous peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal origin: a population-based study,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 128, no. 11, pp. 2717–2725, 2011.
- T. Nozoe, H. Anai, S. Nasu, et al., “Clinicopathological characteristics of mucinous carcinoma of the colon and rectum,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 103–107, 2000.
- Y. Kanemitsu, T. Kato, T. Hirai et al., “Survival after curative resection for mucinous adenocarcinoma of the colorectum,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 160–167, 2003.
- R. Pande, A. Sunga, C. LeVea et al., “Significance of signet-ring cells in patients with colorectal cancer,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 50–55, 2008.
- V. Catalano, F. Loupakis, F. Graziano et al., “Mucinous histology predicts for poor response rate and overall survival of patients with colorectal cancer and treated with first-line oxaliplatin- and/or irinotecan-based chemotherapy,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 881–887, 2009.
- W. Song, S. J. Wu, Y. L. He et al., “Clinicopathologic features and survival of patients with colorectal mucinous, signet-ring cell or non-mucinous adenocarcinoma: experience at an institution in southern China,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 122, no. 13, pp. 1486–1491, 2009.
- M. J. Koppe, O. C. Boerman, W. J. G. Oyen, and R. P. Bleichrodt, “Peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal origin: incidence and current treatment strategies,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 243, no. 2, pp. 212–222, 2006.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, “Peritonectomy procedures,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 221, no. 1, pp. 29–42, 1995.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, Peritoneal Carcinomatosis: Principles of Management, Kluwer Academic, Boston, Mass, USA, 1996.
- J. Esquivel, R. Sticca, P. Sugarbaker et al., “Cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in the management of peritoneal surface malignancies of colonic origin: a consensus statement,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 128–133, 2007.
- V. J. Verwaal, S. Van Ruth, E. De Bree et al., “Randomized trial of cytoreduction and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy versus systemic chemotherapy and palliative surgery in patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 20, pp. 3737–3743, 2003.
- D. Elias, J. H. Lefevre, J. Chevalier et al., “Complete cytoreductive surgery plus intraperitoneal chemohyperthermia with oxaliplatin for peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal origin,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 681–685, 2009.
- J. Franko, Z. Ibrahim, N. J. Gusani, M. P. Holtzman, D. L. Bartlett, and H. J. Zeh, “Cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion versus systemic chemotherapy alone for colorectal peritoneal carcinomatosis,” Cancer, vol. 116, no. 16, pp. 3756–3762, 2010.
- V. J. Verwaal, S. Van Ruth, A. Witkamp, H. Boot, G. Van Slooten, and F. A. N. Zoetmulder, “Long-term survival of peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal origin,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 2005.
- D. Elias, B. Raynard, F. Farkhondeh et al., “Peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal origin: long-term results of intraperitoneal chemohyperthermia with oxaliplatin following complete cytoreductive surgery,” Gastroenterologie Clinique et Biologique, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1200–1204, 2006.
- D. Elias, F. Gilly, F. Boutitie et al., “Peritoneal colorectal carcinomatosis treated with surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy: retrospective analysis of 523 patients from a multicentric french study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 63–68, 2010.
- C. Cao, T. D. Yan, D. Black, and D. L. Morris, “A systematic review and meta-analysis of cytoreductive surgery with perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal origin,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 2152–2165, 2009.
- C. Dromain, S. Leboulleux, A. Auperin et al., “Staging of peritoneal carcinomatosis: enhanced CT vs. PET/CT,” Abdominal Imaging, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 87–93, 2008.
- J. L. Koh, T. D. Yan, D. Glenn, and D. L. Morris, “Evaluation of preoperative computed tomography in estimating peritoneal cancer index in colorectal peritoneal carcinomatosis,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 327–333, 2009.
- L. Elit, T. K. Oliver, A. Covens et al., “Intraperitoneal chemotherapy in the first-line treatment of women with stage III epithelial ovarian cancer: a systematic review with metaanalyses,” Cancer, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 692–702, 2007.
- W. Scheithauer, G. V. Kornek, A. Marczell et al., “Combined intravenous and intraperitoneal chemotherapy with fluorouracil + leucovorin vs fluououracil + levamisole for adjuvant therapy of resected colon carcinoma,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 77, no. 8, pp. 1349–1354, 1998.
- J. C. Vaillant, B. Nordlinger, S. Deuffic et al., “Adjuvant intraperitoneal 5-fluorouracil in high-risk colon cancer: a multicenter phase III trial,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 231, no. 4, pp. 449–456, 2000.
- B. Nordlinger, P. Rougier, J. P. Arnaud et al., “Adjuvant regional chemotherapy and systemic chemotherapy versus systemic chemotherapy alone in patients with stage II-III colorectal cancer: a multicentre randomised controlled phase III trial,” Lancet Oncology, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 459–468, 2005.
- D. Elias, D. Goéré, D. Di Pietrantonio et al., “Results of systematic second-look surgery in patients at high risk of developing colorectal peritoneal carcinomatosis,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 247, no. 3, pp. 445–450, 2008.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, “Comprehensive management of disseminated colorectal cancer,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 3327–3330, 2008.
- L. Maggiori and D. Elias, “Curative treatment of colorectal peritoneal carcinomatosis: current status and future trends,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 599–603, 2010.
- R. T. Ripley, J. L. Davis, C. D. Kemp, S. M. Steinberg, M. A. Toomey, and I. Avital, “Prospective randomized trial evaluating mandatory second look surgery with HIPEC and CRS vs. standard of care in patients at high risk of developing colorectal peritoneal metastases,” Trials, vol. 11, article no. 62, 2010.
- H. Nelson, N. Petrelli, A. Carlin et al., “Guidelines 2000 for colon and rectal cancer surgery,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 93, no. 8, pp. 583–596, 2001.
- S. Ogino, M. Brahmandam, M. Cantor et al., “Distinct molecular features of colorectal carcinoma with signet ring cell component and colorectal carcinoma with mucinous component,” Modern Pathology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 59–68, 2006.
- World Health Organization, WHO Handbook for Reporting Results of Cancer Traetment, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 1979.
- J. H. Lefevre and D. M. Elias, “Cytoreductive surgery plus intraperitoneal chemohyperthermia in patients with colorectal cancer at high risk for local-regional recurrence,” Cancer Journal, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 200–203, 2009.
- A. Saxena, T. D. Yan, and D. L. Morris, “A critical evaluation of risk factors for complications after cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for colorectal peritoneal carcinomatosis,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 70–78, 2010.
- F. Iafrate, M. Ciolina, P. Sammartino et al., “Peritoneal carcinomatosis: imaging with 64-MDCT and 3T MRI with diffusion-weighted imaging,” Abdominal Imaging. In press.
- C. P. Carmignani, T. A. Sugarbaker, C. M. Bromley, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Intraperitoneal cancer dissemination: mechanisms of the patterns of spread,” Cancer and Metastasis Reviews, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 465–472, 2003.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, “Mucinous colorectal carcinoma,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 282–283, 2001.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, “It's what the surgeon doesn't see that kills the patient,” Journal of Nippon Medical School, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 5–8, 2000.
- S. A. Gerber, V. Y. Rybalko, C. E. Bigelow et al., “Preferential attachment of peritoneal tumor metastases to omental immune aggregates and possible role of a unique vascular microenvironment in metastatic survival and growth,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 169, no. 5, pp. 1739–1752, 2006.