- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 153219, 7 pages
Reduced FAF1 Expression and Helicobacter Infection: Correlations with Clinicopathological Features in Gastric Cancer
1Department of Endoscopy, The Affiliated Tumor Hospital Guangxi Medical University, Nanning, Guangxi 530021, China
2Department of Pathology, The Affiliated Tumor Hospital Guangxi Medical University, Nanning, Guangxi 530021, China
3Science and Technology Agency, Guangxi Medical University, Nanning, Guangxi 530021, China
Received 13 September 2012; Accepted 21 November 2012
Academic Editor: N. K. Maroju
Copyright © 2012 Ai-qun Liu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. W. Ryu and E. Kim, “Apoptosis induced by human Fas-associated factor 1, hFAF1, requires its ubiquitin homologous domain, but not the Fas-binding domain,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 286, no. 5, pp. 1027–1032, 2001.
- H. H. Jensen, M. Hjerrild, B. Guerra, M. R. Larsen, P. Højrup, and B. Boldyreff, “Phosphorylation of the Fas associated factor FAF1 by protein kinase CK2 and identification of serines 289 and 291 as the in vitro phosphorylation sites,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 577–589, 2001.
- B. Guerra, B. Boldyreff, and O. G. Issinger, “FAS-associated factor 1 interacts with protein kinase CK2 in vivo upon apoptosis induction,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1117–1126, 2001.
- K. Chu, X. Niu, and L. T. Williams, “A Fas-associated protein factor, FAF1, potentiates Fas-mediated apoptosis,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 25, pp. 11894–11898, 1995.
- S. W. Ryu, S. J. Lee, M. Y. Park, J. I. Jun, Y. K. Jung, and E. Kim, “Fas-associated factor 1, FAF1, is a member of Fas death-inducing signaling complex,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 26, pp. 24003–24010, 2003.
- C. W. Menges, D. A. Altomare, and J. R. Testa, “FAS-associated factor 1 (FAF1): diverse functions and implications for oncogenesis,” Cell Cycle, vol. 8, no. 16, pp. 2528–2534, 2009.
- A. Hidalgo, M. Baudis, I. Petersen et al., “Microarray comparative genomic hybridization detection of chromosomal imbalances in uterine cervix carcinoma,” BMC Cancer, vol. 5, article 77, 2005.
- S. Beà, I. Salaverria, L. Armengol et al., “Uniparental disomies, homozygous deletions, amplifications, and target genes in mantle cell lymphoma revealed by integrative high-resolution whole-genome profiling,” Blood, vol. 113, no. 13, pp. 3059–3069, 2009.
- M. Bjørling-Poulsen, G. Seitz, B. Guerra, and O. G. Issinger, “The pro-apoptotic Fas-associated factor 1 is specifically reduced in human gastric carcinomas,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1015–1023, 2003.
- C. Prinz, S. Schwendy, and P. Voland, “H. pylori and gastric cancer: shifting the global burden,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 34, pp. 5458–5464, 2006.
- S. Peter and C. Beglinger, “Helicobacter pylori and gastric cancer: the causal relationship,” Digestion, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 25–35, 2007.
- J. Rassow, “Helicobacter pylori vacuolating toxin A and apoptosis,” Cell Communication and Signaling, vol. 9, article 26, 2011.
- H. H. X. Xia and N. J. Talley, “Apoptosis in gastric epithelium induced by Helicobacter pylori infection: implications in gastric carcinogenesis,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 16–26, 2001.
- C. B. Thompson, “Apoptosis in the pathogenesis and treatment of disease,” Science, vol. 267, no. 5203, pp. 1456–1462, 1995.
- T. Rudel, O. Kepp, and V. Kozjak-Pavlovic, “Interactions between bacterial pathogens and mitochondrial cell death pathways,” Nature Reviews Microbiology, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 693–705, 2010.
- M. Gryko, K. Guzińska-Ustymowicz, A. Pryczynicz et al., “Correlation between Fas and FasL proteins expression in normal gastric mucosa and gastric cancer,” Folia Histochemica et Cytobiologica, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 142–147, 2011.
- Japanese Gastric Cancer Association, “Japanese classification of gastric carcinoma—2nd english edition,” Gastric Cancer, vol. 1, pp. 10–24, 1998.
- E. Madan, J. Kemp, T. U. Westblom, M. Subik, S. Sexton, and J. Cook, “Evaluation of staining methods for identifying Campylobacter pylori,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 450–453, 1988.
- D. de Zio, E. Ferraro, M. D'Amelio et al., “Faf1 is expressed during neurodevelopment and is involved in Apaf1-dependent caspase-3 activation in proneural cells,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 65, no. 11, pp. 1780–1790, 2008.
- D. A. Altomare, C. W. Menges, J. Pei et al., “Activated TNF-α/NF-κB signaling via down-regulation of Fas-associated factor 1 in asbestos-induced mesotheliomas from Arf knockout mice,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 9, pp. 3420–3425, 2009.
- T. Yoshikawa, H. Saito, T. Osaki, S. Matsumoto, S. Tsujitani, and M. Ikeguchi, “Elevated Fas expression is related to increased apoptosis of circulating CD8+ T cell in patients with gastric cancer,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 148, no. 2, pp. 143–151, 2008.
- A. K. Ghosh and S. Basu, “Fas-associated factor 1 is a negative regulator in capsaicin induced cancer cell apoptosis,” Cancer Letters, vol. 287, no. 2, pp. 142–149, 2010.
- I. M. Adham, J. Khulan, T. Held et al., “Fas-associated factor (FAF1) is required for the early cleavage-stages of mouse embryo,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 207–213, 2008.
- L. Zhang, F. Zhou, T. van Laar, J. Zhang, H. van Dam, and P. ten Dijke, “Fas-associated factor 1 antagonizes Wnt signaling by promoting β-catenin degradation,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 1617–1624, 2011.
- M. Y. Park, S. W. Ryu, K. D. Kim, J. S. Lim, Z. W. Lee, and E. Kim, “Fas-associated factor-1 mediates chemotherapeutic-induced apoptosis via death effector filament formation,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 412–418, 2005.
- N. M. A. White, E. Fatoohi, M. Metias, K. Jung, C. Stephan, and G. M. Yousef, “Metastamirs: a stepping stone towards improved cancer management,” Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 75–84, 2011.
- W. Qin, Y. Shi, B. Zhao et al., “miR-24 regulates apoptosis by targeting the Open Reading Frame (ORF) region of FAF1 in cancer cells,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 2, article e9429, 2010.
- Y. Kitadai, A. Sasaki, M. Ito et al., “Helicobacter pylori infection influences expression of genes related to angiogenesis and invasion in human gastric carcinoma cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 311, no. 4, pp. 809–814, 2003.
- V. J. Hofman, C. Moreilhon, P. D. Brest et al., “Gene expression profiling in human gastric mucosa infected with Helicobacter pylori,” Modern Pathology, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 974–989, 2007.
- C. R. A. Motta, M. P. S. S. Cunha, D. M. M. Queiroz et al., “Gastric precancerous lesions and Helicobacter pylori infection in relatives of gastric cancer patients from northeastern Brazil,” Digestion, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 3–8, 2008.
- C. Stoicov, R. Saffari, X. Cai, C. Hasyagar, and J. Houghton, “Molecular biology of gastric cancer: Helicobacter infection and gastric adenocarcinoma: bacterial and host factors responsible for altered growth signaling,” Gene, vol. 341, pp. 1–17, 2004.
- J. Houghton, L. S. Macera-Bloch, L. Harrison, K. H. Kim, and R. M. Korah, “Tumor necrosis factor alpha and interleukin 1β up-regulate gastric mucosal Fas antigen expression in Helicobacter pylori infection,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 1189–1195, 2000.
- K. M. Lee, D. S. Lee, J. M. Yang et al., “Effect of Helicobacter pylori on gastric epithelial cell kinetics and expression of apoptosis-related proteins in gastric carcinogenesis,” The Korean Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 12–19, 2003.
- X. Fan, H. Gunasena, Z. Cheng et al., “Helicobacter pylori urease binds to class II MHC on gastric epithelial cells and induces their apoptosis,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 165, no. 4, pp. 1918–1924, 2000.
- J. Song, K. P. Joon, J. J. Lee et al., “Structure and interaction of ubiquitin-associated domain of human Fas-associated factor 1,” Protein Science, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 2265–2276, 2009.
- L. Zhang, F. Zhou, T. van Laar, J. Zhang, H. van Dam, and P. Ten Dijke, “Fas-associated factor 1 antagonizes Wnt signaling by promoting β-catenin degradation,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 1617–1624, 2011.