- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 159438, 6 pages
Effect of Ursodeoxycholic Acid Alone and Ursodeoxycholic Acid Plus Domperidone on Radiolucent Gallstones and Gallbladder Contractility in Humans
1Department of Gastroenterology, Istanbul Medeniyet University, Medical Faculty, Goztepe Education and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
2Departments of Radiology, Yuzuncu Yil University Medical Faculty, Van, Turkey
3Department of Gastroenterology, Bezmiâlem Vakif University Medical Faculty, Istanbul, Turkey
Received 6 December 2011; Revised 1 February 2012; Accepted 1 February 2012
Academic Editor: Stuart Sherman
Copyright © 2012 Ilyas Tuncer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Barbara, C. Sama, A. M. M. Labate, et al., “A population study on the prevalence of gallstone disease: the Sirmione study,” Hepatology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 913–917, 1987.
- D. E. Johnston and M. M. Kaplan, “Pathogenesis and treatment of gallstones,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 328, no. 6, pp. 412–421, 1993.
- A. Di Ciaula, D. Q. H. Wang, H. H. Wang, L. Bonfrate, and P. Portincasa, “Targets for current pharmacologic therapy in cholesterol gallstone disease,” Gastroenterology Clinics of North America, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 245–264, 2010.
- R. K. Sterling and M. L. Shiffman, “Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs and gallstone disease: will an aspirin a day keep the gallstones away?” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 93, no. 9, pp. 1405–1407, 1998.
- H. H. Wang, P. Portincasa, N. Mendez-Sanchez, M. Uribe, and D. Q. H. Wang, “Effect of ezetimibe on the prevention and dissolution of cholesterol gallstones,” Gastroenterology, vol. 134, no. 7, pp. 2101–2110, 2008.
- H. H. Wang, P. Portincasa, N. Mendez-Sanchez, M. Uribe, and D. Q. Wang, “Medicinal treatments of cholesterol gallstones: old, current and new perspectives,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1531–1542, 2009.
- F. M. Konikoff, “Gallstones—approach to medical management,” MedGenMed, vol. 5, no. 4, article 8, 2003.
- T. Sauerbruch and M. Neubrand, “Nonsurgical management of gallstones,” Progress in liver diseases, vol. 10, pp. 193–218, 1992.
- R. A. Rubin, T. E. Kowalski, M. Khandelwal, and P. F. Malet, “Ursodiol for hepatobiliary disorders,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 207–218, 1994.
- M. C. Bateson, “Fortnightly review: gallbladder disease,” British Medical Journal, vol. 318, no. 7200, pp. 1745–1748, 1999.
- P. Portincasa, P. van de Meeberg, K. J. van Erpecum, G. Palasciano, and G. P. VanBerge-Henegouwen, “An update on the pathogenesisi and treatment of cholesterol stones,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 223, pp. 60–69, 1997.
- E. Tankurt, S. Apaydin, E. Ellidokuz et al., “The prokinetic effect of domperidone in gallbladder - not upon dopaminergic receptors,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 34, no. 3-4, pp. 153–156, 1996.
- A. Mangiameli, A. Brogna, R. Catanzaro, M. Sofia, and A. Blasi, “Levosulpiride vs domperidone for functional dyspepsia,” Clinica Terapeutica, vol. 144, no. 2, pp. 107–114, 1994.
- M. C. Champion, M. Hartnett, and M. Yen, “Domperidone, a new dopamine antagonist,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 135, no. 5, pp. 457–461, 1986.
- F. E. Murray, S. J. Stinchcombe, and C. J. Hawkey, “Effect of indomethacin and misoprostol on fasted gallbladder volume and meal-induced gallbladder contractility in humans,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 1228–1231, 1992.
- G. Paumgartner, “Nonsugical management of gallstone disease,” in Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, M. Feldman, L. S. Friedman, and M. H. Sleisenger, Eds., pp. 1107–1115, Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 7th edition, 2002.
- I. Hirota, K. Chijiiwa, H. Noshiro, and F. Nakayama, “Effect of chenodeoxycholate and ursodeoxycholate on nucleation time in human gallbladder bile,” Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 1668–1674, 1992.
- M. Angelico, “The medical therapy of cholelithiasis. Critical reflections,” Annali Italiani di Chirurgia, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 709–711, 1998.
- K. A. Hood, D. C. Ruppin, and R. H. Dowling, “Gall stone recurrence and its prevention: the British/Belgian gall stone study group's post-dissolution trial,” Gut, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1277–1288, 1993.
- Tokyo Cooperative Gallstone Study Group, “Efficacy and indications of ursodeoxycholic acid treatment for dissolving gallstones,” Gastroenterology, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 542–548, 1980.
- G. R. May, L. R. Sutherland, and E. A. Shaffer, “Efficacy of bile acid therapy for gallstone dissolution: a meta-analysis of randomized trials,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 139–148, 1993.
- R. P. Jazrawi, M. G. Pigozzi, G. Galatola, A. Lanzini, and T. C. Northfield, “Optimum bile acid treatment for rapid gall stone dissolution,” Gut, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 381–386, 1992.
- L. J. Schoenfield and J. W. Marks, “Oral and contact dissolution of gallstones,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 165, no. 4, pp. 427–430, 1993.
- F. Bazzoli, D. Festi, G. Mazzella et al., “Acquired gallstone opacification during cholelitholytic treatment with chenodeoscyholic, ursodeoxycholic, and tauroursodeoxycholic acids,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 978–981, 1995.
- M. Podda, M. Zuin, N. Dioguardi, et al., “A combination of chenodeoxycholic acid and ursodeoxycholic acid is more effective than either alone in reducing biliary cholesterol saturation,” Hepatology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 334–339, 1982.
- M. Zuin, M. L. Petroni, G. Grandinetti et al., “Comparison of effects of chenodeoxycholic and ursodeoxycholic acid and their combination on biliary lipids in obese patients with gallstones,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 257–262, 1991.
- M. L. Petroni, R. P. Jazrawi, P. Pazzi et al., “Ursodeoxycholic acid alone or with chenodeoxycholic acid for dissolution of cholesterol gallstones: a randomized multicentre trial,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 123–128, 2001.
- S. Tazuma, G. Kajiyama, T. Mizuno et al., “A combination therapy with simvastatin and ursodeoxycholic acid is more effective for cholesterol gallstone dissolution than is ursodeoxycholic acid monotherapy,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 287–291, 1998.
- H. Kilbinger and T. R. Weihrauch, “Drugs increasing gastrointestinal motility,” Pharmacology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 61–72, 1982.
- S. Nakayama, T. Neya, and T. Yamasato, “Effects of domperidone on gastrointestinal and gallbladder motility and gastric emptying,” Nippon Heikatsukin Gakkai Zasshi, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 327–335, 1979.
- S. Kapicioglu, O. Senturk, N. Bambul, and K. Ilgun, “Action of cisapride on gallbladder contraction in patients with diabetes mellitus,” Hepatogastroenterology, vol. 45, no. 23, pp. 1410–1414, 1998.
- M. Gürsoy, N. Güvener, I. Isiklar, E. Tutal, B. Ozin, and S. Boyacioglu, “The effect of cisaprid on gallbladder contractility in type II diabetic patients,” Hepatogastroenterology, vol. 48, no. 41, pp. 1262–1265, 2001.
- C. J. Sinal, M. Tohkin, M. Miyata, J. M. Ward, G. Lambert, and F. J. Gonzalez, “Targeted disruption of the nuclear receptor FXR/BAR impairs bile acid and lipid homeostasis,” Cell, vol. 102, no. 6, pp. 731–744, 2000.
- M. Montagnani, A. Marangoni, A. Roda et al., “Generation of a novel antibody probe to the apical sodium-dependent bile acid transporter that inhibits ileal bile acid absorption,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 1012–1018, 2009.