- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 189373, 6 pages
The Role of Helicobacter pylori and NSAIDs in the Pathogenesis of Uncomplicated Duodenal Ulcer
1Department of Gastroenterology, Antalya Training and Research Hospital, 07050 Antalya, Turkey
2Department of Gastroenterology, Adiyaman State Hospital, Adiyaman, Turkey
3Department of Pathology, Antalya Training and Research Hospital, 07050 Antalya, Turkey
4Department of Microbiology, Antalya Training and Research Hospital, 07050 Antalya, Turkey
5Department of Biostatistics and Medical Informatics, Faculty of Medicine, Akdeniz University, 07050 Antalya, Turkey
6Department of Internal Medicine, Antalya Training and Research Hospital, 07050 Antalya, Turkey
7Department of Pathology, Adiyaman State Hospital, Adiyaman, Turkey
Received 7 July 2012; Accepted 27 August 2012
Academic Editor: Y. Yamaoka
Copyright © 2012 Ayhan Hilmi Cekin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. J. Kuipers, J. C. Thijs, and H. P. M. Festen, “The prevalence of Helicobacter pylori in peptic ulcer disease,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 9, supplement 2, pp. 59–69, 1995.
- J. P. Gisbert and X. Calvet, “Review article: helicobacter pylori-negative duodenal ulcer disease,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 791–815, 2009.
- D. Y. Graham, “Campylobacter pylori and peptic ulcer disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 615–625, 1989.
- C. Quan and N. J. Talley, “Management of peptic ulcer disease not related to Helicobacter pylori or NSAIDs,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 97, no. 12, pp. 2950–2961, 2002.
- D. K. L. Chow and J. J. Y. Sung, “Non-NSAID non-H. pylori ulcer disease,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 3–9, 2009.
- G. Meucci, R. Di Battista, C. Abbiati et al., “Prevalence and risk factors of Helicobacter pylori-negative peptic ulcer: a multicenter study,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 42–47, 2000.
- T. Z. Ong, C. J. Hawkey, and K. Y. Ho, “Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug use is a significant cause of peptic ulcer disease in a tertiary hospital in Singapore: a prospective study,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 795–800, 2006.
- T. S. Chen and F. Y. Chang, “Clinical characteristics of Helicobacter pylori-negative duodenal ulcer disease,” Hepato-Gastroenterology, vol. 55, no. 86-87, pp. 1615–1618, 2008.
- K. M. Chu, K. F. Kwok, S. Law, and K. H. Wong, “Patients with Helicobacter pylori positive and negative duodenal ulcers have distinct clinical characteristics,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 11, no. 23, pp. 3518–3522, 2005.
- R. W. Leong, “Differences in peptic ulcer between the East and the West,” Gastroenterology Clinics of North America, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 363–379, 2009.
- D. Majumdar, J. Bebb, and J. Atherton, “Helicobacter pylori infection and peptic ulcers,” Medicine, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 154–161, 2011.
- G. V. Papatheodoridis, S. Sougioultzis, and A. J. Archimandritis, “Effects of Helicobacter pylori and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on peptic ulcer disease: a systematic review,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 130–142, 2006.
- R. H. Hunt and F. Bazzoli, “Review article: should NSAID/low-dose aspirin takers be tested routinely for H. pylori infection and treated if positive? Implications for primary risk of ulcer and ulcer relapse after initial healing,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Supplement, vol. 19, supplement 1, pp. 9–16, 2004.
- G. V. Papatheodoridis and A. J. Archimandritis, “Role of Helicobacter pylori eradation in aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug users,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 11, no. 25, pp. 3811–3816, 2005.
- M. K. Goenka, S. Majumder, P. K. Sethy, and M. Chakraborty, “Helicobacter pylori negative, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug-negative peptic ulcers in India,” Indian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 33–37, 2011.
- L. M. Brown, “Helicobacter pylori: epidemiology and routes of transmission,” Epidemiologic Reviews, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 283–297, 2000.
- S. Jyotheeswaran, A. N. Shah, H. O. Jin, G. D. Potter, F. V. Ona, and W. Y. Chey, “Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori in peptic ulcer patients in greater rochester, NY: is empirical triple therapy justified?” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 574–578, 1998.
- K. E. L. McColl, “Helicobacter pylori-negative nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-negative ulcer,” Gastroenterology Clinics of North America, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 353–361, 2009.
- M. J. M. Groenen, E. J. Kuipers, B. E. Hansen, and R. J. T. Ouwendijk, “Incidence of duodenal ulcers and gastric ulcers in a Western population: back to where it started,” Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 604–608, 2009.
- J. P. Gisbert, M. Blanco, J. M. Mateos et al., “H. pylori-negative duodenal ulcer prevalence and causes in 774 patients,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 2295–2302, 1999.
- T. Kamada, K. Haruma, H. Kusunoki et al., “Significance of an exaggerated meal-stimulated gastrin response in pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori-negative duodenal ulcer,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 644–651, 2003.
- T. A. McDonagh, M. Woodward, C. E. Morrison et al., “Helicobacter pylori infection and coronary heart disease in the North Glasgow MONICA population,” European Heart Journal, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 1257–1260, 1997.
- G. Asik-Sen, E. Kasap, S. Orenay-Boyacioglu, et al., “GSTP1 gene methylation profiles in Helicobacter pylori (+) and (-) antral intestinal metaplasia and distal gastric tumour patients in Turkish population,” Hepatogastroenterology, vol. 59, no. 120, 2012.
- A. A. Ciociola, D. J. McSorley, K. Turner, D. Sykes, and J. B. D. Palmer, “Helicobacter pylori infection rates in duodenal ulcer patients in the United States may be lower than previously estimated,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 94, no. 7, pp. 1834–1840, 1999.
- P. Bytzer and P. S. Teglbjærg, “Helicobacter pylori-negative duodenal ulcers: prevalence, clinical characteristics, and prognosis—results from a randomized trial with 2-year follow-up,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 1409–1416, 2001.
- H. H. X. Xia, B. C. Y. Wong, K. W. Wong et al., “Clinical and endoscopic characteristics of non-Helicobacter pylori, non-NSAID duodenal ulcers: a long-term prospective study,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1875–1882, 2001.
- M. T. Arroyo, M. Forne, C. M. De Argila et al., “The prevalence of peptic ulcer not related to Helicobacter pylori or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug use is negligible in Southern Europe,” Helicobacter, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 249–254, 2004.
- H. L. Y. Chan, J. C. Y. Wu, F. K. L. Chan et al., “Is non-helicobacter pylori, non-NSAID peptic ulcer a common cause of upper GI bleeding? A prospective study of 977 patients,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 438–442, 2001.
- W. D. Chey, M. Woods, J. M. Scheiman, T. T. Nostrant, and J. DelValle, “Lansoprazole and ranitidine affect the accuracy of the 14 C-urea breath test by a pH-dependent mechanism,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 446–450, 1997.