- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 245167, 5 pages
Culture Method and PCR for the Detection of Helicobacter pylori in Drinking Water in Basrah Governorate Iraq
1College of Education, University of Basrah, Ashar P.O. Box 2108, Ashar, Basrah, Iraq
2Department of Biology, College of Sciences, University of Basrah, Ashar P.O. Box 2108, Ashar, Basrah, Iraq
Received 8 January 2012; Revised 14 April 2012; Accepted 15 April 2012
Academic Editor: Ping-I Hsu
Copyright © 2012 A. A. Al-Sulami et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. C. Atherton, “The pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori-induced gastro-duodenal diseases,” Annual Review of Pathology, vol. 1, pp. 63–96, 2006.
- Y. Elitsur and J. Yahav, “Helicobacter pylori infection in pediatrics,” Helicobacter, Supplement, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 47–53, 2005.
- A. Dubois and T. Boren, “Helicobacter pylori is invasive and it may be a facultative intracellular organism,” Cellular Microbiology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 1108–1116, 2007.
- M. R. Amieva and E. M. El-Omar, “Host-Bacterial Interactions in Helicobacter pylori Infection,” Gastroenterology, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 306–323, 2008.
- V. Necchi, M. E. Candusso, F. Tava et al., “Intracellular, intercellular, and stromal invasion of gastric mucosa, preneoplastic lesions, and cancer by Helicobacter pylori,” Gastroenterology, vol. 132, no. 3, pp. 1009–1023, 2007.
- N. F. Azevedo, C. Almeida, L. Cerqueira, S. Dias, C. W. Keevil, and M. J. Vieira, “Coccoid form of Helicobacter pylori as a morphological manifestation of cell adaptation to the environment,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 73, no. 10, pp. 3423–3427, 2007.
- A. A. Al-Sulami, H. S. Al-Kiat, L. K. Bakker, and H. Hunoon, “Primary isolation and detection of Helicobacter pylori from dyspeptic patients: a simple, rapid method,” Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 268–275, 2008.
- A. A. Al-Sulami, A. M. R. Al-Taee, and M. G. Juma'a, “Isolation and identification of Helicobacter pylori from drinking water in Basra governorate, Iraq,” Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 810–816, 2010.
- H. Liu, A. Rahman, C. Semino-Mora, S. Q. Doi, and A. Dubois, “Specific and sensitive detection of H. pylori in biological specimens by real-time RT-PCR and in situ hybridization,” PLoS ONE, vol. 3, no. 7, Article ID e2689, 2008.
- K. Hulten, S. W. Han, H. Enroth et al., “Helicobacter pylori in the drinking water in Peru,” Gastroenterology, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 1031–1035, 1996.
- J. A. Benson, K. A. Fode-Vaughan, and M. L. P. Collins, “Detection of Helicobacter pylori in water by direct PCR,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 221–225, 2004.
- M. Mazari-Hiriart, Y. López-Vidal, and J. J. Calva, “Helicobacter pylori in water systems for human use in Mexico City,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 93–98, 2001.
- J. P. Hegarty, M. T. Dowd, and K. H. Baker, “Occurrence of Helicobacter pylori in surface water in the United States,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 697–701, 1999.
- L. J. V. Piddock, “A review techniques used for the determination of antimicrobial resistance and sensitivity in bacteria,” Journal of Applied Bacteriology, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 307–318, 1990.
- T. Falsafi, R. Favaedi, F. Mahjoub, and M. Najafi, “Application of stool-PCR test for diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori infection in children,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 484–488, 2009.
- R. M. Peek Jr., G. G. Miller, K. T. Tham, et al., “Detection of Helicobacter pylori gene expression in human gastric mucosa,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 28–32, 1995.
- M. Notarnicola, F. Russo, A. Cavallini et al., “PCR identification of Helicobacter pylori DNA in faeces from patients with gastroduodenal pathology,” Medical Science Research, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 785–787, 1996.
- N. F. Azevedo, C. Almeida, I. Fernandes et al., “Survival of gastric and enterohepatic Helicobacter spp. in water: implications for transmission,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 1805–1811, 2008.
- M. S. Giao, N. F. Azevedo, S. A. Wilks, M. J. Vieira, and C. W. Keevil, “Persistence of Helicobacter pylori in heterotrophic drinking-water biofilms,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 74, no. 19, pp. 5898–5904, 2008.
- A. Tiveljung, K. Borch, J. Jonasson, S. Mårdh, F. Petersson, and H. J. Monstein, “Identification of Helicobacter in gastric biopsies by PCR based on 16S rDNA sequences: a matter of little significance for the prediction of H. pylori-associated gastritis?” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 695–704, 1998.