- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 296347, 6 pages
Self-Expanding Metal Stenting for Palliation of Patients with Malignant Colonic Obstruction: Effectiveness and Efficacy on 255 Patients with 12-Month's Follow-up
1Endoscopy Unit, Bispebjerg Hospital, Bispebjerg Bakke 23, Entrance 7B, 2400 Copenhagen NV, Denmark
2Unidad de Endoscopia, Servicio de Aparato Digestivo, Hospital Doctor Josep Trueta, Carretera Franca s/n, Catalunya, 17007 Girona, Spain
3Gastro-enterologie, Onze Lieve Vrouw Ziekenhuis, Moorselbaan 164, 9300 Aalst, Belgium
4Department of Digestive Endoscopy, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Via Manzoni 56, 20089 Rozzano, Italy
5Gastroenterology Unit, Saint Savas Hospital, 171 Alexadras Avenue, 11522 Athens, Greece
6Department of Surgical Endoscopy, University Hospital Tuebingen, Geissweg 3, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
7Department-Colorectal Surgery, Groote Schuur Hospital, Private Bag, Observatory, Cape Town 7937, South Africa
8WallFlex Enteral Colonic Stent for Relieving Malignant Colorectal Obstruction, Boston Scientific, Natick, MA 01760, USA
Received 7 March 2012; Accepted 8 April 2012
Academic Editor: Mohammad Ahmad Al-Shatouri
Copyright © 2012 Søren Meisner et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. M. Parkin, F. Bray, J. Ferlay, and P. Pisani, “Global cancer statistics, 2002,” Ca-A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 74–108, 2005.
- G. T. Deans, Z. H. Krukowski, and S. T. Irwin, “Malignant obstruction of the left colon,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 81, no. 9, pp. 1270–1276, 1994.
- K. P. Nugent, P. Daniels, B. Stewart, R. Patankar, and C. D. Johnson, “Quality of life in stoma patients,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 1569–1574, 1999.
- I. M. Leitman, J. D. Sullivan, D. Brams, and J. J. DeCosse, “Multivariate analysis of morbidity and mortality from the initial surgical management of obstructing carcinoma of the colon,” Surgery Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 174, no. 6, pp. 513–518, 1992.
- R. Wong, W. Rappaport, D. Witzke, C. W. Putnam, and G. C. Hunter, “Factors influencing the safety of colostomy closure in the elderly,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 289–292, 1994.
- M. Dohmoto, “New method: endoscopic implantation of rectal stent in palliative treatment of malignant stenosis,” Endoscopia Digestiva, vol. 3, pp. 1507–1512, 1991.
- U. P. Khot, A. W. Lang, K. Murali, and M. C. Parker, “Systematic review of the efficacy and safety of colorectal stents,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 89, no. 9, pp. 1096–1102, 2002.
- S. Sebastian, S. Johnston, T. Geoghegan, W. Torreggiani, and M. Buckley, “Pooled analysis of the efficacy and safety of self-expanding metal stenting in malignant colorectal obstruction,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 99, no. 10, pp. 2051–2057, 2004.
- A. M. Watt, I. G. Faragher, T. T. Griffin, N. A. Rieger, and G. J. Maddern, “Self-expanding metallic stents for relieving malignant colorectal obstruction: a systematic review,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 246, no. 1, pp. 24–30, 2007.
- T. H. Baron, “Colonic stenting: a palliative measure only or a bridge to surgery?” Endoscopy, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 163–168, 2010.
- J. Jiménez-Pérez, J. Casellas, J. García-Cano, et al., “Colonic stenting as a bridge to surgery in malignant large-bowel obstruction: a report from two large multinational registries,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 106, no. 12, pp. 2174–2180, 2011.
- S. Meisner, F. González-Huix, J. G. Vandervoort, et al., “Self-expandable metal stents for relieving malignant colorectal obstruction: short-term safety and efficacy within 30 days of stent procedure in 447 patients,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 876–884, 2011.
- S. Nagula, N. Ishill, C. Nash et al., “Quality of life and symptom control after stent placement or surgical palliation of malignant colorectal obstruction,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 210, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 2010.
- M. Karoui, A. Charachon, C. Delbaldo et al., “Stents for palliation of obstructive metastatic colon cancer: impact on management and chemotherapy administration,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 142, no. 7, pp. 619–623, 2007.
- A. J. Small, N. Coelho-Prabhu, and T. H. Baron, “Endoscopic placement of self-expandable metal stents for malignant colonic obstruction: long-term outcomes and complication factors,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 560–572, 2010.
- R. Vemulapalli, L. F. Lara, J. Sreenarasimhaiah, W. V. Harford, and A. A. Siddiqui, “A comparison of palliative stenting or emergent surgery for obstructing incurable colon cancer,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1732–1737, 2010.