- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 302093, 8 pages
Efficacy and Safety of Low-Dose Peginterferon Alpha-2a Plus Ribavirin on Chronic Hepatitis C
Institute of Infectious Diseases, Southwest Hospital, The Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400038, China
Received 8 October 2012; Accepted 15 November 2012
Academic Editor: Edoardo Giovanni Giannini
Copyright © 2012 Zehui Yan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. W. Shepard, L. Finelli, and M. J. Alter, “Global epidemiology of hepatitis C virus infection,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 558–567, 2005.
- F. Negro and A. Alberti, “The global health burden of hepatitis C virus infection,” Liver International, vol. 31, supplement 2, pp. 1–3, 2011.
- M. G. Ghany, D. B. Strader, D. L. Thomas, and L. B. Seeff, “Diagnosis, management, and treatment of hepatitis C: an update,” Hepatology, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 1335–1374, 2009.
- S. Zeuzem, C. Welsch, and E. Herrmann, “Pharmacokinetics of peginterferons,” Seminars in Liver Disease, vol. 23, supplement 1, pp. 23–28, 2003.
- J. G. McHutchison, E. J. Lawitz, M. L. Shiffman et al., “Peginterferon alfa-2b or alfa-2a with ribavirin for treatment of hepatitis C infection,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 6, pp. 580–593, 2009.
- M. P. Manns, J. G. McHutchison, S. C. Gordon et al., “Peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin compared with interferonalfa-2b plus ribavirin for initial treatment of chronic hepatitis C: a randomised trial,” The Lancet, vol. 358, no. 9286, pp. 958–965, 2001.
- E. M. Sokal, A. Bourgois, X. Stéphenne et al., “Peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C virus infection in children and adolescents,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 827–831, 2010.
- M. W. Fried, M. L. Shiffman, K. R. Reddy et al., “Peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C virus infection,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 13, pp. 975–982, 2002.
- M. Solomon, M. Bonafede, K. Pan et al., “Direct medical care costs among pegylated interferon plus ribavirin-treated and untreated chronic hepatitis C patients,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 3024–3031, 2011.
- J. S. McCombs, Y. Yuan, J. Shin, and S. Saab, “Economic burden associated with patients diagnosed with hepatitis C,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 1268–1280, 2011.
- A. Sood, V. Midha, S. Hissar et al., “Comparison of low-dose pegylated interferon versus standard high-dose pegylated interferon in combination with ribavirin in patients with chronic hepatitis C with genotype 3: an Indian experience,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 203–207, 2008.
- B. Meyer-Wyss, P. Rich, H. Egger et al., “Comparison of two PEG-interferon alpha-2b doses (1.0 or 1.5 μg/kg) combined with ribavirin in interferon-naïve patients with chronic hepatitis C and up to moderate fibrosis,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 457–465, 2006.
- R. Gupta, C. H. Ramakrishna, S. Lakhtakia, M. Tandan, R. Banerjee, and D. N. Reddy, “Efficacy of low dose peginterferon alpha-2b with ribavirin on chronic hapatitis C,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 34, pp. 5554–5556, 2006.
- A. Abergel, C. Hezode, V. Leroy et al., “Peginterferon alpha-2b plus ribavirin for treatment of chronic hepatitis C with severe fibrosis: a multicentre randomized controlled trial comparing two doses of peginterferon alpha-2b,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 811–820, 2006.
- A. Ascione, M. De Luca, M. T. Tartaglione et al., “Peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin is more effective than peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin for treating chronic hepatitis C virus infection,” Gastroenterology, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 116–122, 2010.
- M. Peck-Radosavljevic, J. Boletis, F. Besisik et al., “Low-dose peginterferon alfa-2a is safe and produces a sustained virologic response in patients with chronic hepatitis C and end-stage renal disease,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 242–248, 2011.
- Z. Yan, K. Fan, Y. Wang, Y. Fan, Z. Tan, and G. Deng, “Changing pattern of clinical epidemiology on hepatitis C virus infection in Southwest China,” Hepatitis Monthly, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 196–204, 2012.
- S. J. Hadziyannis, H. Sette Jr., T. R. Morgan et al., “Peginterferon-alpha2a and ribavirin combination therapy in chronic hepatitis C: a randomized study of treatment duration and ribavirin dose,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 140, no. 5, pp. 346–355, 2004.
- O. Weiland, A. Hollander, L. Mattsson et al., “Lower-than-standard dose peg-IFN alfa-2a for chronic hepatitis C caused by genotype 2 and 3 is sufficient when given in combination with weight-based ribavirin,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 641–645, 2008.
- S. Zeuzem, S. V. Feinman, J. Rasenack et al., “Peginterferon alfa-2a in patients with chronic hepatitis C,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 343, no. 23, pp. 1666–1672, 2000.
- T. Oze, N. Hiramatsu, T. Yakushijin et al., “Pegylated interferon alpha-2b (Peg-IFN α-2b) affects early virologic response dose-dependently in patients with chronic hepatitis C genotype 1 during treatment with Peg-IFN α-2b plus ribavirin,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 578–585, 2009.
- S. Zeuzem, “Heterogeneous virologic response rates to interferon-based therapy in patients with chronic hepatitis C: who responds less well?” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 140, no. 5, pp. 370–381, 2004.
- P. Ferenci, “Optimal treatment duration for patients with HCV genotype 1 infection,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 19, supplement 1, pp. 7–13, 2012.
- D. Ge, J. Fellay, A. J. Thompson et al., “Genetic variation in IL28B predicts hepatitis C treatment-induced viral clearance,” Nature, vol. 461, no. 7262, pp. 399–401, 2009.
- B. M. Popkin, S. Paeratakul, K. Ge, and Z. Fengying, “Body weight patterns among the Chinese: results from the 1989 and 1991 China health and nutrition surveys,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 85, no. 5, pp. 690–694, 1995.
- X. W. Liao, Y. Ling, X. H. Li et al., “Association of genetic variation in IL28B with hepatitis C treatment-induced viral clearance in the Chinese Han population,” Antiviral Therapy, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 141–147, 2011.
- M. L. Yu, C. F. Huang, J. F. Huang et al., “Role of interleukin-28B polymorphisms in the treatment of hepatitis C virus genotype 2 infection in Asian patients,” Hepatology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 7–13, 2011.
- M. P. Manns, H. Wedemeyer, and M. Cornberg, “Treating viral hepatitis C: efficacy, side effects, and complications,” Gut, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 1350–1359, 2006.