- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 309417, 9 pages
Cytoreductive Surgery Plus Hyperthermic Perioperative Chemotherapy for Selected Patients with Peritoneal Metastases from Colorectal Cancer: A New Standard of Care or an Experimental Approach?
Washington Cancer Institute, Program in Peritoneal Surface Malignancy, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Received 5 April 2012; Accepted 16 May 2012
Academic Editor: Pompiliu Piso
Copyright © 2012 Paul H. Sugarbaker. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. H. Sugarbaker and K. A. Jablonski, “Prognostic features of 51 colorectal and 130 appendiceal cancer patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis treated by cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemotherapy,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 221, no. 2, pp. 124–132, 1995.
- V. J. Verwaal, S. Van Ruth, E. De Bree et al., “Randomized trial of cytoreduction and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy versus systemic chemotherapy and palliative surgery in patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 20, pp. 3737–3743, 2003.
- P. Shen, J. Hawksworth, J. Lovato et al., “Cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal hyperthermic chemotherapy with mitomycin C for peritoneal carcinomatosis from nonappendiceal colorectal carcinoma,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 178–186, 2004.
- J. Franko, Z. Ibrahim, N. J. Gusani, M. P. Holtzman, D. L. Bartlett, and H. J. Zeh, “Cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion versus systemic chemotherapy alone for colorectal peritoneal carcinomatosis,” Cancer, vol. 116, no. 16, pp. 3756–3762, 2010.
- D. Elias, F. Gilly, F. Boutitie et al., “Peritoneal colorectal carcinomatosis treated with surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy: retrospective analysis of 523 patients from a multicentric french study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 63–68, 2010.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, “Peritonectomy procedures,” Surgical Oncology Clinics of North America, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 703–727, 2003.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, T. Graves, E. A. DeBruijn et al., “Early postoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy as an adjuvant therapy to surgery for peritoneal carcinomatosis from gastrointestinal cancer: pharmacological studies,” Cancer Research, vol. 50, no. 18, pp. 5790–5794, 1990.
- P. Jacquet and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Current methodologies for clinical assessment of patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis,” Journal of Experimental and Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 49–58, 1996.
- R. G. da Silva and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Analysis of prognostic factors in seventy patients having a complete cytoreduction plus perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for carcinomatosis from colorectal cancer,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 203, no. 6, pp. 878–886, 2006.
- D. Elias, D. Goéré, D. Di Pietrantonio et al., “Results of systematic second-look surgery in patients at high risk of developing colorectal peritoneal carcinomatosis,” Annals of surgery, vol. 247, no. 3, pp. 445–450, 2008.
- F. Mohamed and B. J. Moran, “Morbidity and mortality with cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemotherapy: the importance of a learning curve,” Cancer Journal, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 196–199, 2009.
- T. C. Chua, T. D. Yan, A. Saxena, and D. L. Morris, “Should the treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis by cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy still be regarded as a highly morbid procedure?: a systematic review of morbidity and mortality,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 249, no. 6, pp. 900–907, 2009.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, K. van der Speeten, O. A. Stuart, D. Chang, and H. Mahteme, “Patient- and treatment-related variables, adverse events and their statistical relationship for treatment of peritoneal metastases,” in Cytoreductive Surgery and Perioperative Chemotherapy for Peritoneal Surface Malignancy: Textbook and Video Atlas, P. H. Sugarbaker, Ed., Cine-Med, Woodbury, Conn, USA, 2012.
- T. C. Chua, J. Esquivel, J. O. Pelz, and D. L. Morris, “Critical analyses of treatment modality and impact on outcome in peritoneal metastases from colorectal cancer: a systematic review,” Annals of Oncology. In press.
- S. K. Libutti, L. B. Saltz, and G. Willett, “Cancer of the colon,” in Cancer. Principles and Practice of Oncology, V. T. De Vita, T. S. Lawrence, and S. A. Rosenberg, Eds., pp. 1084–1126, JB Lippincott, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 9th edition, 2010.
- J. Franko, Q. Shi, C. D. Goldman et al., “Treatment of colorectal peritoneal carcinomatosis with systemic chemotherapy: a pooled analysis of North Central Cancer Treatment Group phase III trials N9741 and N9841,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 263–267, 2012.
- C. P. Carmignani, T. A. Sugarbaker, C. M. Bromley, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Intraperitoneal cancer dissemination: mechanisms of the patterns of spread,” Cancer and Metastasis Reviews, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 465–472, 2003.
- D. Elias, J. H. Lefevre, J. Chevalier et al., “Complete cytoreductive surgery plus intraperitoneal chemohyperthermia with oxaliplatin for peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal origin,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 681–685, 2009.
- V. J. Verwaal, S. Bruin, H. Boot, G. van Slooten, and H. van Tinteren, “8-Year follow-up of randomized trial: cytoreduction and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy versus systemic chemotherapy in patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal cancer,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 2426–2432, 2008.
- O. Glehen, F. Kwiatkowski, P. H. Sugarbaker et al., “Cytoreductive surgery combined with perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for the management of peritoneal carcinomatosis from colorectal cancer: a Multi-Institutional study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 22, no. 16, pp. 3284–3292, 2004.
- T. D. Yan, D. Black, R. Savady, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Systematic review on the efficacy of cytoreductive surgery combined with perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for peritoneal carcinomatosis from colorectal carcinoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 24, pp. 4011–4019, 2006.
- V. J. Verwaal, “Long-term results of cytoreduction and HIPEC followed by systemic chemotherapy,” Cancer Journal, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 212–215, 2009.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, “Epithelial appendiceal neoplasms,” Cancer Journal, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 225–235, 2009.
- P. H. Sugarbaker, “New standard of care for appendiceal epithelial neoplasms and pseudomyxoma peritonei syndrome?” Lancet Oncology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 69–76, 2006.
- O. Glehen, F. N. Gilly, C. Arvieux et al., “Peritoneal carcinomatosis from gastric cancer: a multi-institutional study of 159 patients treated by cytoreductive surgery combined with perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 2370–2377, 2010.
- X. J. Yang, C. Q. Huang, T. Suo et al., “Cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy improves survival of patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis from gastric cancer: final results of a phase III randomized clinical trial,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1575–1581, 2011.
- T. D. Yan, D. Black, P. H. Sugarbaker et al., “A systematic review and meta-analysis of the randomized controlled trials on adjuvant intraperitoneal chemotherapy for resectable gastric cancer,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 2702–2713, 2007.
- T. Kaido, “Verification of evidence in surgical treatment for colorectal liver metastasis,” Hepato-Gastroenterology, vol. 55, no. 82-83, pp. 378–380, 2008.
- P. Gertsch, “A historical perspective on colorectal liver metastases and peritoneal carcinomatosis: similar results, different treatments,” Surgical Oncology Clinics of North America, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 531–541, 2003.
- O. Varban, E. A. Levine, J. H. Stewart, T. P. McCoy, and P. Shen, “Outcomes associated with cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal hyperthermic chemotherapy in colorectal cancer patients with peritoneal surface disease and hepatic metastases,” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 15, pp. 3427–3436, 2009.
- P. M. McCormack, M. E. Burt, M. S. Bains, N. Martini, V. W. Rusch, and R. J. Ginsberg, “Lung resection for colorectal metastases: 10-Year results,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 127, no. 12, pp. 1403–1406, 1992.
- S. R. Pestieau, P. H. Sugarbaker, and D. M. Ota, “Treatment of primary colon cancer with peritoneal carcinomatosis: comparison of concomitant vs. delayed management,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 1341–1348, 2000.
- K. Van Der Speeten, O. A. Stuart, and P. H. Sugarbaker, “Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of perioperative cancer chemotherapy in peritoneal surface malignancy,” Cancer Journal, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 216–224, 2009.