- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 317125, 8 pages
Effect of High-Dose Oral Rabeprazole on Recurrent Bleeding after Endoscopic Treatment of Bleeding Peptic Ulcers
1Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea College of Medicine, Uijeongbu St. Mary's Hospital, 65-1 Geumo-dong, Kyunggi-do, Uijeongbu City 480-717, Republic of Korea
2Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea College of Medicine, Seoul St. Mary's Hospital, 505 Banpo-dong, Seocho-gu, Seoul 137-701, Republic of Korea
3Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea College of Medicine, Bucheon St. Mary's Hospital, 327 Sosaro, Wonmi-gu, Bucheon 420-717, Republic of Korea
Received 18 June 2012; Accepted 10 August 2012
Academic Editor: Spiros D. Ladas
Copyright © 2012 Hyung-Keun Kim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. D. Lewis, W. B. Bilker, C. Brensinger, J. T. Farrar, and B. L. Strom, “Hospitalization and mortality rates from peptic ulcer disease and GI bleeding in the 1990s: rselationship to sales of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and acid suppression medications,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 97, no. 10, pp. 2540–2549, 2002.
- R. Jutabha and D. Jensen, “Acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding,” in Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Gastroenterology, S. Friedman, K. McQuaid, and J. Grendell, Eds., pp. 53–69, Lange Medical Books/McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing Divisionl, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- G. F. Longstreth, “Epidemiology of hospitalization for acute upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage: a population-based study,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 206–210, 1995.
- M. E. van Leerdam, E. M. Vreeburg, E. A. J. Rauws et al., “Acute upper GI bleeding: Did anything change? Time trend analysis of incidence and outcome of acute upper GI bleeding between 1993/1994 and 2000,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 7, pp. 1494–1499, 2003.
- T. A. Rockall, R. F. A. Logan, H. B. Devlin, and T. C. Northfield, “Incidence of and mortality from acute upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage in the United Kingdom,” British Medical Journal, vol. 311, no. 6999, pp. 222–226, 1995.
- L. A. Laine and W. L. Peterson, “Bleeding peptic ulcer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 331, no. 11, pp. 717–727, 1994.
- J. Y. W. Lau, J. J. Y. Sung, K. K. C. Lee et al., “Effect of intravenous omeprazole on recurrent bleeding after endoscopic treatment of bleeding peptic ulcers,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 343, no. 5, pp. 310–316, 2000.
- I. A. MacLeod and P. R. Mills, “Factors identifying the probability of further haemorrhage after acute upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 256–258, 1982.
- H. S. Sacks, T. C. Chalmers, A. L. Blum, J. Berrier, and D. Pagano, “Endoscopic hemostasis: an effective therapy for bleeding peptic ulcers,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 264, no. 4, pp. 494–499, 1990.
- D. J. Cook, G. H. Guyatt, B. J. Salena, and L. A. Laine, “Endoscopic therapy for acute nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage: a meta-analysis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 139–148, 1992.
- S. C. S. Chung, J. W. C. Leung, R. J. C. Steele, T. J. Crofts, and A. K. C. Li, “Endoscopic injection of adrenaline for actively bleeding ulcers: a randomised trial,” British Medical Journal, vol. 296, no. 6637, pp. 1631–1633, 1988.
- L. Llach, J. M. Bordas, J. M. Salmeron et al., “A prospective randomized trial of heater probe thermocoagulation versus injection therapy in peptic ulcer hemorrhage,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 117–120, 1996.
- H. J. Lin, K. Wang, C. L. Perng, C. H. Lee, and S. D. Lee, “Heater probe thermocoagulation and multipolar electrocoagulation for arrest of peptic ulcer bleeding: a prospective, randomized comparative trial,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 99–102, 1995.
- G. Hasselgren, T. Lind, L. Lundell et al., “Continuous intravenous infusion of omeprazole in elderly patients with peptic ulcer bleeding. Results of a placebo-controlled multicenter study,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 328–333, 1997.
- O. B. Schaffalitzky de Muckadell, T. Havelund, H. Harling et al., “Effect of omeprazole on the outcome of endoscopically treated bleeding peptic ulcers. Randomized double-blind placebo-controlled multicentre study,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 320–327, 1997.
- A. N. Barkun, M. Bardou, E. J. Kuipers et al., “International consensus recommendations on the management of patients with nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 101–113, 2010.
- D. C. Metz, F. Amer, B. Hunt, M. Vakily, M. J. Kukulka, and N. Samra, “Lansoprazole regimens that sustain intragastric pH >6.0: an evaluation of intermittent oral and continuous intravenous infusion dosages,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 985–995, 2006.
- M. S. Khuroo, G. N. Yattoo, G. Javid et al., “A comparison of omeprazole and placebo for bleeding peptic ulcer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 336, no. 15, pp. 1054–1058, 1997.
- G. Javid, I. Masoodi, S. A. Zargar et al., “Omeprazole as adjuvant therapy to endoscopic combination injection sclerotherapy for treating bleeding peptic ulcer,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 280–284, 2001.
- M. J. Kaviani, M. R. Hashemi, A. R. Kazemifar et al., “Effect of oral omeprazole in reducing re-bleeding in bleeding peptic ulcers: a prospective, double-blind, randomized, clinical trial,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 211–216, 2003.
- G. I. Leontiadis, V. K. Sharma, and C. W. Howden, “Proton pump inhibitor treatment for acute peptic ulcer bleeding,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, article CD002094, 2006.
- G. Leontiadis, J. Martin, V. Sharma, and C. Howden, “T1942 proton pump inhibitor (PPI) treatment for peptic ulcer (PU) bleeding: an updated Cochrane meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (RCTs),” Gastroenterol, vol. 136, supplement 1, no. 5, p. A-605, 2009.
- M. Bardou, Y. Toubouti, D. Benhaberou-Brun, E. Rahme, and A. N. Barkun, “Meta-analysis: proton-pump inhibition in high-risk patients with acute peptic ulcer bleeding,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 677–686, 2005.
- A. Andriulli, V. Annese, N. Caruso et al., “Proton-pump inhibitors and outcome of endoscopic hemostasis in bleeding peptic ulcers: a series of meta-analyses,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 207–219, 2005.
- L. Laine, A. Shah, and S. Bemanian, “Intragastric pH with oral versus intravenous bolus plus infusion proton-pump inhibitor therapy in patients with bleeding ulcers,” Gastroenterology, vol. 134, no. 7, pp. 1836–1841, 2008.
- G. Javid, S. A. Zargar, R. U-Saif et al., “Comparison of p.o. or i.v. proton pump inhibitors on 72-h intragastric pH in bleeding peptic ulcer,” Journal of gastroenterology and hepatology, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1236–1243, 2009.
- J. J. Tsai, Y. C. Hsu, C. L. Perng, and H. J. Lin, “Oral or intravenous proton pump inhibitor in patients with peptic ulcer bleeding after successful endoscopic epinephrine injection,” British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 326–332, 2009.
- J. S. Bajaj, K. S. Dua, K. Hanson, and K. Presberg, “Prospective, randomized trial comparing effect of oral versus intravenous pantoprazole on rebleeding after nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding: a pilot study,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 2190–2194, 2007.
- G. I. Leontiadis, V. K. Sharma, and C. W. Howden, “Systematic review and meta-analysis: enhanced efficacy of proton-pump inhibitor therapy for peptic ulcer bleeding in Asia—a post hoc analysis from the Cochrane Collaboration,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1055–1061, 2005.