- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 317580, 7 pages
Baseline Serum Cholesterol Is Associated with a Response to Pegylated Interferon Alfa-2b and Ribavirin Therapy for Chronic Hepatitis C Genotype 2
1Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki University, Sakamoto 1-7-1, Nagasaki 852-8501, Japan
2Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Sasebo City General Hospital, Hirase-machi 9-3, Sasebo 857-8511, Japan
3Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Nagasaki Municipal Hospital, Shinchi-machi 6-39, Nagasaki 850-8555, Japan
4Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Japanese Red Cross Nagasaki Genbaku Hospital, Mori-machi 3-15, Nagasaki 852-8511, Japan
5Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Oita Prefectural Hospital, Bunyo 467, Oita 870-8511, Japan
6Digestive Organ Center, Japan Labour and Welfare Organization, Nagasaki Labour Welfare Hospital, Setogoe 2-12-5, Sasebo 857-0134, Japan
7Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Sasebo Chuo Hospital, Yamato-machi 15, Sasebo 857-1195, Japan
8Department of Internal Medicine, Goto Central Hospital, Nagasaki Prefectural, Yoshikugichou 205, Goto 853-0031, Japan
9Department of Internal Medicine, National Hospital Organization Saga National Hospital, Hinode 1-20-1, Saga 849-8577, Japan
10Department of Internal Medicine, Kouseikai Hospital, Hayama1-3-12, Nagasaki 852-8053, Japan
11Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Medical Inc. Kosei-kai Nijigaoka Hospital, Nijigaoka-machi 1-1, Nagasaki 852-8055, Japan
12Department of Internal Medicine, Caritas Clinic, Nishiizuru-machi 65-7, Nagasaki 851-2322, Japan
13Clinical Research Center, National Hospital Organization Nagasaki Medical Center, Kubara 2-1001-1, Omura, Nagasaki 856-8562, Japan
Received 16 May 2012; Accepted 24 September 2012
Academic Editor: Edoardo Giovanni Giannini
Copyright © 2012 Naota Taura et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Barrera, M. Bruguera, M. G. Ercilla et al., “Persistent hepatitis C viremia after acute self-limiting posttransfusion hepatitis C,” Hepatology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 639–644, 1995.
- F. Penin, J. Dubuisson, F. A. Rey, D. Moradpour, and J. M. Pawlotsky, “Structural biology of hepatitis C virus,” Hepatology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 5–19, 2004.
- S. J. Hadziyannis, H. Sette, T. R. Morgan et al., “Peginterferon-alpha2a and ribavirin combination therapy in chronic hepatitis C: a randomized study of treatment duration and ribavirin dose,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 140, no. 5, pp. 346–355, 2004.
- M. P. Manns, J. G. McHutchison, S. C. Gordon et al., “Peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin compared with interferonalfa-2b plus ribavirin for initial treatment of chronic hepatitis C: a randomised trial,” The Lancet, vol. 358, no. 9286, pp. 958–965, 2001.
- J. Ye, “Reliance of host cholesterol metabolic pathways for the life cycle of hepatitis C virus,” PLoS Pathogens, vol. 3, no. 8, p. e108, 2007.
- K. Ogawa, T. Hishiki, Y. Shimizu et al., “Hepatitis C virus utilizes lipid droplet for production of infectious virus,” Proceedings of the Japan Academy B, vol. 85, no. 7, pp. 217–228, 2009.
- F. Negro and A. J. Sanyal, “Hepatitis C virus, steatosis and lipid abnormalities: clinical and pathogenic data,” Liver International, vol. 29, supplement 2, pp. 26–37, 2009.
- K. Gopal, T. C. Johnson, S. Gopal et al., “Correlation between beta-lipoprotein levels and outcome of hepatitis C treatment,” Hepatology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 335–340, 2006.
- M. Economou, H. Milionis, S. Filis et al., “Baseline cholesterol is associated with the response to antiviral therapy in chronic hepatitis C,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 586–591, 2008.
- D. Ramcharran, A. S. Wahed, H. S. Conjeevaram et al., “Associations between serum lipids and hepatitis C antiviral treatment efficacy,” Hepatology, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 854–863, 2010.
- P. Ferenci, M. W. Fried, M. L. Shiffman et al., “Predicting sustained virological responses in chronic hepatitis C patients treated with peginterferon alfa-2a (40 KD)/ribavirin,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 425–433, 2005.
- Y. Inoue, N. Hiramatsu, T. Oze et al., “Factors affecting efficacy in patients with genotype 2 chronic hepatitis C treated by pegylated interferon alpha-2b and ribavirin: reducing drug doses has no impact on rapid and sustained virological responses,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 336–344, 2010.
- V. J. Desmet, M. Gerber, J. H. Hoofnagle, M. Manns, and P. J. Scheuer, “Classification of chronic hepatitis: diagnosis, grading and staging,” Hepatology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1513–1520, 1994.
- M. Romero-Gómez, M. Del Mar Viloria, R. J. Andrade et al., “Insulin resistance impairs sustained response rate to peginterferon plus ribavirin in chronic hepatitis C patients,” Gastroenterology, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 636–641, 2005.
- P. Marotta, D. Hueppe, E. Zehnter, P. Kwo, and I. Jacobson, “Efficacy of chronic hepatitis C therapy in community-based trials,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 1028–1036, 2009.
- S. Maekawa and N. Enomoto, “Viral factors influencing the response to the combination therapy of peginterferon plus ribavirin in chronic hepatitis C,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 1009–1015, 2009.
- D. L. Thomas, C. L. Thio, M. P. Martin et al., “Genetic variation in IL28B and spontaneous clearance of hepatitis C virus,” Nature, vol. 461, no. 7265, pp. 798–801, 2009.
- G. Y. Minuk, S. Weinstein, and K. D. Kaita, “Serum cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels as predictors of response to interferon therapy for chronic hepatitis C,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 132, no. 9, pp. 761–762, 2000.
- G. Testino and P. Borro, “Hepatitis C recurrence: influence of serum cholesterol levels and liver steatosis on antiviral therapy,” Hepatology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 1409–1410, 2011.
- E. Villa, A. Karampatou, C. Camm et al., “Early menopause is associated with lack of response to antiviral therapy in women with chronic hepatitis C,” Gastroenterology, vol. 140, no. 3, pp. 818–829, 2011.
- S. Haffner, “Rationale for new American Diabetes Association Guidelines: are national cholesterol education program goals adequate for the patient with diabetes mellitus?” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 33E–36E, 2005.
- C. D. Miller, L. S. Phillips, M. K. Tate et al., “Meeting American Diabetes Association guidelines in endocrinologist practice,” Diabetes Care, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 444–448, 2000.
- C. Fabris, E. Federico, G. Soardo, E. Falleti, and M. Pirisi, “Blood lipids of patients with chronic hepatitis: differences related to viral etiology,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 261, no. 2, pp. 159–165, 1997.
- M. Monazahian, I. Böhme, S. Bonk et al., “Low density lipoprotein receptor as a candidate receptor for hepatitis C virus,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 223–229, 1999.
- J. M. Petit, A. Minello, L. Duvillard et al., “Cell surface expression of LDL receptor in chronic hepatitis C: correlation with viral load,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 293, no. 1, pp. E416–E420, 2007.
- S. Molina, V. Castet, C. Fournier-Wirth et al., “The low-density lipoprotein receptor plays a role in the infection of primary human hepatocytes by hepatitis C virus,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 411–419, 2007.
- D. Ge, J. Fellay, A. J. Thompson et al., “Genetic variation in IL28B predicts hepatitis C treatment-induced viral clearance,” Nature, vol. 461, no. 7262, pp. 399–401, 2009.
- V. Suppiah, M. Moldovan, G. Ahlenstiel et al., “IL28B is associated with response to chronic hepatitis C interferon-α and ribavirin therapy,” Nature Genetics, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1100–1104, 2009.
- J. H. Li, X. Q. Lao, H. L. Tillmann et al., “Interferon-lambda genotype and low serum low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in patients with chronic hepatitis C infection,” Hepatology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1904–1911, 2010.
- K. Chayama, C. N. Hayes, K. Yoshioka et al., “Accumulation of refractory factors for pegylated interferon plus ribavirin therapy in older female patients with chronic hepatitis C,” Hepatology Research, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 1155–1167, 2010.
- A. Honda and Y. Matsuzaki, “Cholesterol and chronic hepatitis C virus infection,” Hepatology Research, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 697–710, 2011.
- S. Petta and A. Craxì, “Optimal therapy in hepatitis C virus genotypes 2 and 3 patients,” Liver International, vol. 31, supplement 1, pp. 36–44, 2011.