- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 328253, 7 pages
Eosinophilic Esophagitis in Children from Western Saudi Arabia: Relative Frequency, Clinical, Pathological, Endoscopic, and Immunological Study
1Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology/Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, King Abdulaziz University, P.O. Box 80215, Jeddah 21589, Saudi Arabia
2Division of Pediatric Allergy Immunology/Department of Pediatric, Faculty of Medicine, Umm Al Qura University, P.O. Box 16097, Makkah 21955, Saudi Arabia
3Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, International Medical Center, P.O. Box 2172, Jeddah 21451, Saudi Arabia
Received 5 October 2012; Revised 4 November 2012; Accepted 4 November 2012
Academic Editor: Charles Melbern Wilcox
Copyright © 2012 Omar I. Saadah et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. A. Liacouras, G. T. Furuta, I. Hirano et al., “Eosinophilic esophagitis: updated consensus recommendations for children and adults,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 3–20, 2011.
- R. J. Noel, P. E. Putnam, and M. E. Rothenberg, “Eosinophilic esophagitis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 9, pp. 940–941, 2004.
- A. Straumann and H. U. Simon, “Eosinophilic esophagitis: escalating epidemiology?” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 418–419, 2005.
- P. Hruz, A. Straumann, C. Bussmann et al., “Escalating incidence of eosinophilic esophagitis: a 20-year prospective, population-based study in Olten County, Switzerland,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 128, no. 6, pp. 1349–1350.e5, 2011.
- J. P. Franciosi and C. A. Liacouras, “Eosinophilic esophagitis,” Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 19–27, 2009.
- G. T. Furuta, C. A. Liacouras, M. H. Collins et al., “Eosinophilic esophagitis in children and adults: a systematic review and consensus recommendations for diagnosis and treatment,” Gastroenterology, vol. 133, no. 4, pp. 1342–1363, 2007.
- N. Gonsalves, “Eosinophilic esophagitis: history, nomenclature, and diagnostic guidelines,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2008.
- C. A. Liacouras, J. M. Spergel, E. Ruchelli et al., “Eosinophilic esophagitis: a 10-year experience in 381 children,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 3, no. 12, pp. 1198–1206, 2005.
- S. R. Orenstein, T. M. Shalaby, C. Di Lorenzo, P. E. Putnam, L. Sigurdsson, and S. A. Kocoshis, “The spectrum of pediatric eosinophilic esophagitis beyond infancy: a clinical series of 30 children,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 1422–1430, 2000.
- D. Simon, H. Marti, P. Heer, H. U. Simon, L. R. Braathen, and A. Straumann, “Eosinophilic esophagitis is frequently associated with IgE-mediated allergic airway diseases,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 115, no. 5, pp. 1090–1092, 2005.
- M. Y. Hasosah, G. A. Sukkar, A. F. Alsahafi et al., “Eosinophilic esophagitis in Saudi children: symptoms, histology and endoscopy results,” Saudi Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 119–123, 2011.
- A. Al-Hussaini, T. Semaan, and I. El Hag, “Esophageal trachealization: a feature of eosinophilic esophagitis,” Saudi Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 193–195, 2009.
- J. R. Parfitt, J. C. Gregor, N. G. Suskin, H. A. Jawa, and D. K. Driman, “Eosinophilic esophagitis in adults: distinguishing features from gastroesophageal reflux disease: a study of 41 patients,” Modern Pathology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 90–96, 2006.
- N. E. Schindlbeck, C. Heinrich, and A. Konig, “Optimal thresholds, sensitivity, and specificity of long-term pH-metry for the detection of gastroesophageal reflux disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 85–90, 1987.
- G. A. Prasad, J. A. Alexander, C. D. Schleck et al., “Epidemiology of eosinophilic esophagitis over three decades in Olmsted County, Minnesota,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 1055–1061, 2009.
- R. C. Kapel, J. K. Miller, C. Torres, S. Aksoy, R. Lash, and D. A. Katzka, “Eosinophilic esophagitis: a prevalent disease in the United States that affects all age groups,” Gastroenterology, vol. 134, no. 5, pp. 1316–1321, 2008.
- Y. Eroglu, H. Lu, A. Terry et al., “Pediatric eosinophilic esophagitis: single-center experience in northwestern USA,” Pediatrics International, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 612–616, 2009.
- N. Hijazi, B. Abalkhail, and A. Seaton, “Diet and childhood asthma in a society in transition: a study in urban and rural Saudi Arabia,” Thorax, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 775–779, 2000.
- A. R. Al Frayh, Z. Shakoor, M. O. Gad El Rab, and S. M. Hasnain, “Increased prevalence of asthma in Saudi Arabia,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 292–296, 2001.
- M. Nahhas, R. Bhopal, C. Anandan, R. Elton, and A. Sheikh, “Prevalence of allergic disorders among primary school-aged children in Madinah, Saudi Arabia: two-stage cross-sectional survey,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 5, Article ID e36848, 2012.
- R. J. Hopp, “Eosinophilic esophagitis in pediatrics: the worst of all possible allergy worlds?” Journal of Allergy, vol. 2012, Article ID 179658, 4 pages, 2012.
- S. Hong and N. M. Vogel, “Food allergy and eosinophilic esophagitis: learning what to avoid,” Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 51–59, 2010.
- H. A. Sampson, “Utility of food-specific IgE concentrations in predicting symptomatic food allergy,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 891–896, 2001.
- A. F. Kagalwalla, T. A. Sentongo, S. Ritz et al., “Effect of six-food elimination diet on clinical and histologic outcomes in eosinophilic esophagitis,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 1097–1102, 2006.
- J. E. Markowitz, J. M. Spergel, E. Ruchelli, and C. A. Liacouras, “Elemental diet is an effective treatment for eosinophilic esophagitis in children and adolescents,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 777–782, 2003.
- C. J. Henderson, J. P. Abonia, E. C. King et al., “Comparative dietary therapy effectiveness in remission of pediatric eosinophilic esophagitis,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 129, no. 6, pp. 1570–1578, 2012.
- C. W. Debrosse, J. P. Franciosi, E. C. King et al., “Long-term outcomes in pediatric-onset esophageal eosinophilia,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 132–138, 2011.
- N. Gonsalves, G.-Y. Yang, B. Doerfler, S. Ritz, A. M. Ditto, and I. Hirano, “Elimination diet effectively treats eosinophilic esophagitis in adults; Food reintroduction identifies causative factors,” Gastroenterology, vol. 142, no. 7, pp. 1451–1459.e1, 2012.
- T. K. Desai, V. Stecevic, C. H. Chang, N. S. Goldstein, K. Badizadegan, and G. T. Furuta, “Association of eosinophilic inflammation with esophageal food impaction in adults,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 795–801, 2005.
- M. Chehade, H. A. Sampson, R. A. Morotti, and M. S. Magid, “Esophageal subepithelial fibrosis in children with eosinophilic esophagitis,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 319–328, 2007.
- A. Straumann, L. Rossi, H. U. Simon, P. Heer, H. P. Spichtin, and C. Beglinger, “Fragility of the esophageal mucosa: a pathognomonic endoscopic sign of primary eosinophilic esophagitis?” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 407–412, 2003.
- C. A. Liacouras, W. J. Wenner, K. Brown, and E. Ruchelli, “Primary eosinophilic esophagitis in children: successful treatment with oral corticosteroids,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 380–385, 1998.