- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 360929, 7 pages
Association between Genetic Instability and Helicobacter pylori Infection in Gastric Epithelial Dysplasia
1Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, 93 Jungbu-daero, Paldal-gu, Suwon 442-723, Republic of Korea
2Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, 93 Jungbu-daero, Paldal-gu, Suwon 442-723, Republic of Korea
3The Research Institute of St. Vincent Hospital, 93 Jungbu-daero, Paldal-gu, Suwon 442-723, Republic of Korea
4Department of Pathology, Samsung Medical Center of Korea, 50 Ilwon-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 135-710, Republic of Korea
Received 30 August 2012; Revised 27 November 2012; Accepted 3 December 2012
Academic Editor: Bita Geramizadeh
Copyright © 2012 Jin Su Kim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Uemura, S. Okamoto, S. Yamamoto, et al., “Helicobacter pylori infection and the development of gastric cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 11, pp. 784–789, 2001.
- R. M. Peek Jr. and J. E. Crabtree, “Helicobacter pylori and gastric neoplasia,” The Journal of Pathology, vol. 208, no. 2, pp. 233–248, 2006.
- H. Moller, E. Heseltine, and H. Vainio, “Working group report on schistosomes, liver flukes and Helicobacter pylori,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 587–589, 1995.
- P. Correa and J. Houghton, “Carcinogenesis of Helicobacter pylori,” Gastroenterology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 659–672, 2007.
- J. F. R. Kerr, C. M. Winterford, and B. V. Harmon, “Apoptosis: its significance in cancer and cancer therapy,” Cancer, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. 2013–2026, 1994.
- P. Hofman, B. Waidner, V. Hofman, S. Bereswill, P. Brest, and M. Kist, “Pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori infection,” Helicobacter, vol. 9, supplement 1, no. 1, pp. 15–22, 2004.
- B. C. Wong, S. K. Lam, W. M. Wong, et al., “Helicobacter pylori eradication to prevent gastric cancer in a high-risk region of China: a randomized controlled trial,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 291, no. 2, pp. 187–194, 2004.
- K. Mabe, M. Takahashi, H. Oizumi et al., “Does Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy for peptic ulcer prevent gastric cancer?” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 34, pp. 4290–4297, 2009.
- M. Ehrlich, “Cancer-linked DNA hypomethylation and its relationship to hypermethylation,” Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 310, pp. 251–254, 2006.
- N. Gilbert, A. J. Doucet, and A. Bucheton, “Instability associated with human LINE-1 rétrotransposition,” Journal de la Societe de Biologie, vol. 198, no. 4, pp. 419–424, 2004.
- N. Y. Cho, B. H. Kim, M. Choi et al., “Hypermethylation of CpG island loci and hypomethylation of LINE-1 and Alu repeats in prostate adenocarcinoma and their relationship to clinicopathological features,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 211, no. 3, pp. 269–277, 2007.
- A. P. Feinberg, R. Ohlsson, and S. Henikoff, “The epigenetic progenitor origin of human cancer,” Nature Reviews Genetics, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 21–33, 2006.
- J. Y. Fang and S. D. Xiao, “Alteration of DNA methylation in gastrointestinal carcinogenesis,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 960–968, 2001.
- G. H. Kang, Y. H. Shim, H. Y. Jung, W. H. Kim, J. Y. Ro, and M. G. Rhyu, “CpG island methylation in premalignant stages of gastric carcinoma,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 2847–2851, 2001.
- A. C. Ferrasi, N. A. Pinheiro, S. H. B. Rabenhorst et al., “Helicobacter pylori and EBV in gastric carcinomas: methylation status and microsatellite instability,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 312–319, 2010.
- E. Yamamoto, M. Toyota, H. Suzuki et al., “LINE-1 hypomethylation is associated with increased CpG island methylation in Helicobacter pylori-related enlarged-fold gastritis,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 2555–2564, 2008.
- K. Chalitchagorn, S. Shuangshoti, N. Hourpai et al., “Distinctive pattern of LINE-1 methylation level in normal tissues and the association with carcinogenesis,” Oncogene, vol. 23, no. 54, pp. 8841–8846, 2004.
- S. Y. Park, E. J. Yoo, N. Y. Cho, N. Kim, and G. H. Kang, “Comparison of CpG island hypermethylation and repetitive DNA hypomethylation in premalignant stages of gastric cancer, stratified for Helicobacter pylori infection,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 219, no. 4, pp. 410–416, 2009.
- T. Hiyama, S. Tanaka, M. Yoshihara et al., “Chromosomal and microsatellite instability in sporadic gastric cancer,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 756–760, 2004.
- S. Yamaoka, H. Yamamoto, K. Nosho et al., “Genetic and epigenetic characteristics of gastric cancers with JC virus T-antigen,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 44, pp. 5579–5585, 2009.
- Z. Xiong and P. W. Laird, “COBRA: a sensitive and quantitative DNA methylation assay,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 2532–2534, 1997.
- A. S. Yang, M. R. Estécio, K. Doshi, Y. Kondo, E. H. Tajara, and J. P. Issa, “A simple method for estimating global DNA methylation using bisulfite PCR of repetitive DNA elements,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 32, no. 3, p. e38, 2004.
- E. Tahara, “Molecular mechanism of stomach carcinogenesis,” Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, vol. 119, no. 5, pp. 265–272, 1993.
- L. A. Loeb, “Microsatellite instability: marker of a mutator phenotype in cancer,” Cancer Research, vol. 54, no. 19, pp. 5059–5063, 1994.
- L. Ottini, M. Falchetti, R. Lupi et al., “Patterns of genomic instability in gastric cancer: clinical implications and perspectives,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 17, supplement 7, pp. vii97–vii102, 2006.
- T. Sugai, W. Habano, Y. F. Jiao, M. Suzuki, A. Takagane, and S. I. Nakamura, “Analysis of genetic alterations associated with DNA diploidy, aneuploidy and multiploidy in gastric cancers,” Oncology, vol. 68, no. 4–6, pp. 548–557, 2005.
- C. Lengauer, K. W. Kinzler, and B. Vogelstein, “Genetic instability in colorectal cancers,” Nature, vol. 386, no. 6625, pp. 623–627, 1997.
- E. Tahara, “Genetic pathways of two types of gastric cancer,” IARC Scientific Publications, no. 157, pp. 327–349, 2004.
- T. Ohara, J. Kasanuki, H. Ohara et al., “Analysis of the differences in structural chromosomal aberrations of the gastric mucosa between H. pylori positive and negative gastric cancer patients: involvement of H. pylori in the onset of gastric cancer and examination of the mechanism in gastric carcinogenesis following H. pylori eradication,” Oncology Reports, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1333–1342, 2006.
- J. Jiricny, “The multifaceted mismatch-repair system,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 335–346, 2006.
- J. J. Kim, H. Tao, E. Carloni, W. K. Leung, D. Y. Graham, and A. R. Sepulveda, “Helicobacter pylori impairs DNA mismatch repair in gastric epithelial cells,” Gastroenterology, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 542–553, 2002.
- H. Kim, J. Y. An, S. H. Noh, S. K. Shin, Y. C. Lee, and H. Kim, “High microsatellite instability predicts good prognosis in intestinal-type gastric cancers,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 585–592, 2011.
- C. R. Boland, S. N. Thibodeau, S. R. Hamilton et al., “A National Cancer Institute workshop on microsatellite instability for cancer detection and familial predisposition: development of international criteria for the determination of microsatellite instability in colorectal cancer,” Cancer Research, vol. 58, no. 22, pp. 5248–5257, 1998.
- T. Watanabe, T. Kobunai, E. Toda et al., “Distal colorectal cancers with microsatellite instability (MSI) display distinct gene expression profiles that are different from proximal MSI cancers,” Cancer Research, vol. 66, no. 20, pp. 9804–9808, 2006.
- R. M. Xicola, X. Llor, E. Pons et al., “Performance of different microsatellite marker panels for detection of mismatch repair-deficient colorectal tumors,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 244–252, 2007.
- G. Y. Lauwers and R. H. Riddell, “Gastric epithelial dysplasia,” Gut, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 784–790, 1999.
- H. Takenawa, M. Kurosaki, N. Enomoto et al., “Differential gene-expression profiles associated with gastric adenoma,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 216–223, 2004.
- S. Y. Park, S. W. Jeon, M. K. Jung et al., “Long-term follow-up study of gastric intraepithelial neoplasias: progression from low-grade dysplasia to invasive carcinoma,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 966–970, 2008.