- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 362147, 6 pages
Role of Body Mass Index, Waist-to-Height and Waist-to-Hip Ratio in Prediction of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
Research and Therapy Center for Liver Disease, The Affiliated Dongnan Hospital of Xiamen University, Fujian, Zhangzhou 363000, China
Received 9 February 2012; Accepted 6 April 2012
Academic Editor: Fabio Farinati
Copyright © 2012 Rui-Dan Zheng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. C. Nayak, N. Vasdev, S. Saigal, and A. S. Soin, “End-stage nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: evaluation of pathomorphologic features and relationship to cryptogenic cirrhosis from study of explant livers in a living donor liver transplant program,” Human Pathology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 425–430, 2010.
- R. Loomba, C. B. Sirlin, J. B. Schwimmer, and J. E. Lavine, “Advances in pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Hepatology, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 1282–1293, 2009.
- N. Rafiq and Z. M. Younossi, “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a practical approach to evaluation and management,” Clinics in Liver Disease, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 249–266, 2009.
- J. G. Fan, T. Saibara, S. Chitturi, B. I. Kim, J. J. Y. Sung, and A. Chutaputti, “What are the risk factors and settings for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in Asia-Pacific?” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 794–800, 2007.
- J. G. Fan, J. D. Jia, Y. M. Li et al., “Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: Update 2010: (Published in Chinese on Chinese Journal of Hepatology 2010; 18:163-166),” Journal of Digestive Diseases, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 38–44, 2011.
- Fatty Liver and Alcoholic Liver Disease Study Group of Chinese Liver Disease Association, “Guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of nonalcoholic fatty liver diseases,” Zhonghua Ganzangbing Zazhi, vol. 3, pp. 161–163, 2006.
- Y. H. Guo, M.F. Zhang, J. R. Meng, et al., “Improvement for method of treating liver biopsy specimen,” Journal of Clinical and Experimental Pathology, vol. 6, p. 747, 2004.
- M. M. Finucane, G. A. Stevens, M. J. Cowan et al., “National, regional, and global trends in body-mass index since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 960 country-years and 9·1 million participants,” The Lancet, vol. 377, no. 9765, pp. 557–567, 2011.
- F. M. Biro and M. Wien, “Childhood obesity and adult morbidities,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 1499S–1505S, 2010.
- S. S. Anand and S. Yusuf, “Stemming the global tsunami of cardiovascular disease,” The Lancet, vol. 377, no. 9765, pp. 529–532, 2011.
- J. G. Fan and G. C. Farrell, “Epidemiology of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in China,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 204–210, 2009.
- V. Ratziu, S. Bellentani, H. Cortez-Pinto, C. Day, and G. Marchesini, “A position statement on NAFLD/NASH based on the EASL 2009 special conference,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 372–384, 2010.
- H. X. Cao and J. G. Fan, “fatty liver disease: a growing public health problem worldwide,” Journal of Digestive Diseases, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 1–2, 2011.
- S. D. Hsieh and T. Muto, “The superiority of waist-to-height ratio as an anthropometric index to evaluate clustering of coronary risk factors among non-obese men and women,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 216–220, 2005.
- S. Lim, J. H. Kim, J. W. Yoon et al., “Optimal cut points of waist circumference (WC) and visceral fat area (VFA) predicting for metabolic syndrome (MetS) in elderly population in the Korean Longitudinal Study on Health and Aging (KLoSHA),” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. e29–e34, 2012.
- W. S. Su, C. M. Clase, K. S. Brimble, P. J. Margetts, T. J. Wilkieson, and A. S. Gangji, “Waist-to-hip ratio, cardiovascular outcomes, and death in peritoneal dialysis patients,” International Journal of Nephrology, vol. 2010, Article ID 831243, 5 pages, 2010.
- C. H. Cheng, C. C. Ho, C. F. Yang, Y. C. Huang, C. H. Lai, and Y. P. Liaw, “Waist-to-hip ratio is a better anthropometric index than body mass index for predicting the risk of type 2 diabetes in Taiwanese population,” Nutrition Research, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 585–593, 2010.
- S. Czernichow, A. P. Kengne, R. R. Huxley et al., “Comparison of waist-to-hip ratio and other obesity indices as predictors of cardiovascular disease risk in people with type-2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study from ADVANCE,” European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 312–319, 2011.
- C. C. Chen, W. S. Wang, H. Y. Chang, J. S. Liu, and Y. J. Chen, “Heterogeneity of body mass index, waist circumference, and waist-to-hip ratio in predicting obesity-related metabolic disorders for Taiwanese aged 35-64 y,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 543–548, 2009.
- W. Aekplakorn, V. Pakpeankitwatana, C. M. Y. Lee et al., “Abdominal obesity and coronary heart disease in Thai men,” Obesity, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 1036–1042, 2007.
- L. Paniagua, V. Lohsoonthorn, S. Lertmaharit, W. Jiamjarasrangsi, and M. A. Williams, “Comparison of waist circumference, body mass index, percent body fat and other measure of adiposity in identifying cardiovascular disease risks among Thai adults,” Obesity Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 215–223, 2008.
- W. Zheng, D. F. McLerran, B. Rolland et al., “Association between body-mass index and risk of death in more than 1 million Asians,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 364, no. 8, pp. 719–729, 2011.