- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 396869, 5 pages
Diagnosis of Distal Cholangiocarcinoma after the Removal of Choledocholithiasis
1Department of Surgery, Saiseikai Yokohamashi Tobu Hospital, 3-6-1 Shimosueyoshi, Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 230-8765, Japan
2Department of Surgery, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-8582, Japan
Received 6 August 2012; Revised 16 October 2012; Accepted 18 October 2012
Academic Editor: Michel Kahaleh
Copyright © 2012 Yasuhiro Ito et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. N. Vauthey and L. H. Blumgart, “Recent advances in the management of cholangiocarcinomas,” Seminars in Liver Disease, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 109–114, 1994.
- M. L. DeOliveira, S. C. Cunningham, J. L. Cameron et al., “Cholangiocarcinoma: thirty-one-year experience with 564 patients at a single institution,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 245, no. 5, pp. 755–762, 2007.
- A. Ekbom, C. C. Hsieh, J. Yuen et al., “Risk of extrahepatic bileduct cancer after cholecystectomy,” The Lancet, vol. 342, no. 8882, pp. 1262–1265, 1993.
- W. Kimura, H. Shimada, A. Kuroda, and Y. Morioka, “Carcinoma of the gallbladder and extrahepatic bile duct in autopsy cases of the aged, with special reference to its relationship to gallstones,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 386–390, 1989.
- M. Nishimura, S. Naka, K. Hanazawa et al., “Cholangiocarcinoma in the distal bile duct: a probable etiologic association with choledocholithiasis,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 2153–2158, 2005.
- M. F. Chen, Y. Y. Jan, C. S. Wang, L. B. B. Jeng, T. L. Hwang, and S. C. Chen, “Intrahepatic stones associated with cholangiocarcinoma,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 391–395, 1989.
- S. M. Sheen-Chen, F. F. Chou, and H. L. Eng, “Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma in hepatolithiasis: a frequently overlooked disease,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 131–135, 1991.
- Y. M. Zhou, Z. F. Yin, J. M. Yang et al., “Risk factors for intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: a case-control study in China,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 632–635, 2008.
- T. Terada and Y. Nakanuma, “Cell kinetic analyses and expression of carcinoembryonic antigen, carbohydrate antigen 19-9 and DU-PAN-2 in hyperplastic, pre-neoplastic and neoplastic lesions of intrahepatic bile ducts in livers with hepatoliths,” Virchows Archiv—A Pathological Anatomy and Histopathology, vol. 420, no. 4, pp. 327–335, 1992.
- M. L. Freeman, D. B. Nelson, S. Sherman et al., “Complications of endoscopic biliary sphincterotomy,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 335, no. 13, pp. 909–918, 1996.
- F. Prat, N. A. Malak, G. Pelletier et al., “Biliary symptoms and complications more than 8 years after endoscopic sphincterotomy for choledocholithiasis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 894–899, 1996.
- R. H. Hawes, P. B. Cotton, and A. G. Vallon, “Follow-up 6 to 11 years after duodenoscopic sphincterotomy for stones in patients with prior cholecystectomy,” Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 1008–1012, 1990.
- T. L. Ang, E. K. Teo, K. M. Fock, and J. Y. Lyn Tan, “Are there roles for intraductal US and saline solution irrigation in ensuring complete clearance of common bile duct stones?” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 69, no. 7, pp. 1276–1281, 2009.
- A. Ohashi, N. Ueno, K. Tamada et al., “Assessment of residual bile duct stones with use of intraductal US during endoscopic balloon sphincteroplasty: comparison with balloon cholangiography,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 49, no. 3, part 1, pp. 328–333, 1999.
- J. H. Moon, Y. D. Cho, S. W. Cha et al., “The detection of bile duct stones in suspected biliary pancreatitis: comparison of MRCP, ERCP, and intraductal US,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. 1051–1057, 2005.
- S. Tsuchiya, T. Tsuyuguchi, Y. Sakai et al., “Clinical utility of intraductal US to decrease early recurrence rate of common bile duct stones after endoscopic papillotomy,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 1590–1595, 2008.
- S. N. Stavropoulos, A. Larghi, E. Verna, P. Battezzati, and P. Stevens, “Intraductal ultrasound for the evaluation of patients with biliary strictures and no abdominal mass on computed tomography,” Endoscopy, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 715–721, 2005.
- D. Domagk, J. Wessling, P. Reimer et al., “Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, intraductal ultrasonography, and magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography in bile duct strictures: a prospective comparison of imaging diagnostics with histopathological correlation,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 99, no. 9, pp. 1684–1689, 2004.
- C. C. Lee, C. Y. Wu, and G. H. Chen, “What is the impact of coexistence of hepatolithiasis on cholangiocarcinoma?” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1015–1020, 2002.
- T. Kuroki, Y. Tajima, and T. Kanematsu, “Hepatolithiasis and intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: carcinogenesis based on molecular mechanisms,” Journal of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 463–466, 2005.
- F. Holzinger, K. Z'graggen, and M. W. Büchler, “Mechanisms of biliary carcinogenesis: a pathogenetic multi-stage cascade towards cholangiocarcinoma,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 10, supplement 4, pp. 122–126, 1999.
- K. Hanada, A. Tsuchida, and G. Kajiyama, “Cellular kinetics and gene mutations in gallbladder mucosa with an anomalous junction of pancreaticobiliary duct,” Journal of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 223–228, 1999.
- Y. Matsumoto, H. Fujii, J. Itakura et al., “Pancreaticobiliary maljunction: pathophysiological and clinical aspects and the impact on biliary carcinogenesis,” Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery, vol. 388, no. 2, pp. 122–131, 2003.