- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 404752, 9 pages
The Effect of Bifid Triple Viable on Immune Function of Patients with Ulcerative Colitis
Department of Gastroenterology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Nanchang University, Nanchang 330006, China
Received 9 April 2012; Revised 12 June 2012; Accepted 2 July 2012
Academic Editor: Antonio Gasbarrini
Copyright © 2012 Guohua Li et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Q. Ouyang, R. Tandon, K. L. Goh, C. J. Ooi, H. Ogata, and C. Fiocchi, “The emergence of inflammatory bowel disease in the Asian Pacific region,” Current Opinion in Gastroenterology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 408–413, 2005.
- I. A. Hajj Hussein, R. Tohme, K. Barada et al., “Inflammatory bowel disease in rats: bacterial and chemical interaction,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 25, pp. 4028–4039, 2008.
- N. N. Trivedi and G. H. Caughey, “Mast cell peptidases: chameleons of innate immunity and host defense,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 257–267, 2010.
- W. S. Garrett, C. A. Gallini, T. Yatsunenko et al., “Enterobacteriaceae act in concert with the gut microbiota to induce spontaneous and maternally transmitted colitis,” Cell Host and Microbe, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 292–300, 2010.
- C. W. Png, S. K. Lindén, K. S. Gilshenan et al., “Mucolytic bacteria with increased prevalence in IBD mucosa augment in vitro utilization of mucin by other bacteria,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 105, no. 11, pp. 2420–2428, 2010.
- L. Peran, S. Sierra, M. Comalada et al., “A comparative study of the preventative effects exerted by two probiotics, Lactobacillus reuteri and Lactobacillus fermentum, in the trinitrobenzenesulfonic acid model of rat colitis,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 96–103, 2007.
- N. Osman, D. Adawi, G. Molin, S. Ahrne, A. Berggren, and B. Jeppsson, “Bifidobacterium infantis strains with and without a combination of Oligofructose and Inulin (OFI) attenuate inflammation in DSS-induced colitis in rats,” BMC Gastroenterology, vol. 6, article 31, 2006.
- P. J. Sansonetti, “The bacterial weaponry: lessons from Shigella,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1072, pp. 307–312, 2006.
- J. Marcinkiewicz, M. Ciszek, M. Bobek et al., “Differential inflammatory mediator response in vitro from murine macrophages to lactobacilli and pathogenic intestinal bacteria,” International Journal of Experimental Pathology, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 155–164, 2007.
- C. L. Kien, R. Blauwiekel, C. H. Williams, J. Y. Bunn, and R. K. Buddington, “Lactulose feeding lowers cecal densities of clostridia in piglets,” Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 194–198, 2007.
- B. Sheil, F. Shanahan, and L. O'Mahony, “Probiotic effects on inflammatory bowel disease,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 137, no. 3, supplement 2, pp. 819S–824S, 2007.
- J. W. Zhang, P. Du, J. Gao, B. R. Yang, W. J. Fang, and C. M. Ying, “Preoperative probiotics decrease postoperative infectious complications of colorectal cancer,” The American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 343, no. 3, pp. 199–205, 2012.
- Z. H. Li, M. Dong, and Z. F. Wang, “Functional constipation in children: investigation and management of anorectal motility,” World Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 45–48, 2008.
- T. Mach, “Clinical usefulness of probiotics in inflammatory bowel diseases,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 57, supplement 9, pp. 23–33, 2006.
- J. B. Ewaschuk, Q. Z. Tejpar, I. Soo, K. L. Madsen, and R. N. Fedorak, “The role of antibiotic and probiotic therapies in current and future management of inflammatory bowel disease,” Current Gastroenterology Reports, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 486–498, 2006.
- L. G. Klinge and J. Kjeldsen, “Probiotics: should we change the treatment strategy for pouchitis?” Ugeskrift for Laeger, vol. 168, no. 41, pp. 3516–3518, 2006 (Danish).
- S. K. Böhm and W. Kruis, “Probiotics: do they help to control intestinal inflammation?” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1072, pp. 339–350, 2006.
- L. J. Fooks and G. R. Gibson, “Probiotics as modulators of the gut flora,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 88, supplement 1, pp. S39–S49, 2002.
- K. A. Baken, J. Ezendam, E. R. Gremmer et al., “Evaluation of immunomodulation by Lactobacillus casei Shirota: immune function, autoimmunity and gene expression,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 8–18, 2006.
- M. Olivares, M. P. Díaz-Ropero, N. Gómez et al., “Dietary deprivation of fermented foods causes a fall in innate immune response. Lactic acid bacteria can counteract the immunological effect of this deprivation,” Journal of Dairy Research, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 492–498, 2006.
- H. R. Christensen, C. N. Larsen, P. Kæstel et al., “Immunomodulating potential of supplementation with probiotics: a dose-response study in healthy young adults,” FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 380–390, 2006.
- N. Pirarat, T. Kobayashi, T. Katagiri, M. Maita, and M. Endo, “Protective effects and mechanisms of a probiotic bacterium Lactobacillus rhamnosus against experimental Edwardsiella tarda infection in tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus),” Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, vol. 113, no. 3-4, pp. 339–347, 2006.
- M. Olivares, M. P. Díaz-Ropero, N. Gómez et al., “The consumption of two new probiotic strains, Lactobacillus gasseri CECT 5714 and Lactobacillus coryniformis CECT 5711, boosts the immune system of healthy humans,” International Microbiology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 47–52, 2006.
- M. Schultz, H. J. Linde, N. Lehn et al., “Immunomodulatory consequences of oral administration of Lactobacillus rhamnosus strain GG in healthy volunteers,” Journal of Dairy Research, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 165–173, 2003.
- S. Matsumoto, T. Hara, T. Hori et al., “Probiotic Lactobacillus-induced improvement in murine chronic inflammatory bowel disease is associated with the down-regulation of pro-inflammatory cytokines in lamina propria mononuclear cells,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 140, no. 3, pp. 417–426, 2005.
- S. S. Mahid, A. M. Mulhall, R. D. Gholson, M. R. Eichenberger, and S. Galandiuk, “Inflammatory bowel disease and African Americans: a systematic review,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 960–967, 2008.
- K. Geboes, J. F. Colombel, A. Greenstein et al., “Indeterminate colitis: a review of the concept—what's in a name?” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 850–857, 2008.
- D. Turner, A. M. Griffiths, D. Mack et al., “Assessing disease activity in ulcerative colitis: patients or their physicians?” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 651–656, 2010.
- C. K. Ameho, A. A. Adjei, E. K. Harrison et al., “Prophylactic effect of dietary glutamine supplementation on interleukin 8 and tumour necrosis factor α production in trinitrobenzene sulphonic acid induced colitis,” Gut, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 487–493, 1997.
- K. Whelan and C. E. Myers, “Safety of probiotics in patients receiving nutritional support: a systematic review of case reports, randomized controlled trials, and nonrandomized trials,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 687–703, 2010.
- M. A. McGuckin, R. Eri, L. A. Simms, T. H. Florin, and G. Radford-Smith, “Intestinal barrier dysfunction in inflammatory bowel diseases,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 100–113, 2009.
- N. Steck, M. Hoffmann, I. G. Sava, et al., “Enterococcus faecalis metalloprotease compromises epithelial barrier and contributes to intestinal inflammation,” Gastroenterology, vol. 141, no. 3, pp. 959–971, 2011.
- L. D. Kalischuk and A. G. Buret, “A role for Campylobacter jejuni-induced enteritis in inflammatory bowel disease?” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 298, no. 1, pp. G1–G9, 2010.
- T. Y. Shen, H. L. Qin, Z. G. Gao, X. B. Fan, X. M. Hang, and Y. Q. Jiang, “Influences of enteral nutrition combined with probiotics on gut microflora and barrier function of rats with abdominal infection,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 27, pp. 4352–4358, 2006.
- C. Mowat, A. Cole, A. Windsor et al., “Guidelines for the management of inflammatory bowel disease in adults,” Gut, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 571–607, 2011.
- A. Kornbluth and D. B. Sachar, “Ulcerative colitis practice guidelines in adults: American college of gastroenterology, practice parameters committee,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 501–523, 2010.
- C. N. Bernstein, M. Fried, J. H. Krabshuis et al., “World gastroenterology organization practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of IBD in 2010,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 112–124, 2010.
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, “SSAT patient care guidelines. Management of ulcerative colitis,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 1203–1206, 2007.
- A. J. Macpherson, M. B. Geuking, E. Slack, S. Hapfelmeier, and K. D. McCoy, “The habitat,double life, citizenship, and forgetfulness of IgA,” Immunological Reviews, vol. 245, no. 1, pp. 132–146, 2012.
- M. B. Geuking, K. D. McCoy, and A. J. Macpherson, “The function of secretory IgA in the context of the intestinal continuum of adaptive immune responses in host-microbial mutualism,” Seminars in Immunology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 36–42, 2012.
- J. M. Fragoso-Lona, J. Ramírez-Bello, D. Cruz-Robles, O. Pérez-Méndez, A. de la Peña, and G. Vargas-Alarcón, “Pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory markers in coronary artery disease and acute ischemic coronary syndrome,” Archivos de Cardiologia de Mexico, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 54–62, 2009.
- Y. Ogawa, E. A. Duru, and B. T. Ameredes, “Role of IL-10 in the resolution of airway inflammation,” Current Molecular Medicine, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 437–445, 2008.
- L. Wang, Y. Xiong, and R. Bosselut, “Maintaining CD4-CD8 lineage integrity in T cells: where plasticity serves versatility,” Seminars in Immunology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 360–367, 2011.