- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 418010, 7 pages
Variability in Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori Strains Resistant to Clarithromycin and Levofloxacin in Southern Poland
1Department of Pharmaceutical Microbiology, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Medyczna 9, 30-688 Krakow, Poland
2Outpatient Clinic of Gastroenterology Falck Medycyna 30-036, Krakow, Poland
3Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectious Diseases, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Śniadeckich 5, 31-531 Krakow, Poland
Received 1 February 2012; Revised 15 March 2012; Accepted 29 March 2012
Academic Editor: Ping-I Hsu
Copyright © 2012 Elżbieta Karczewska et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Review Team, Helicobacter pylori in Developing Countries, World Gastroenterology Organization, 2010.
- A. Zawadzka-Gralec, M. Wróblewska, A. Szaflarska-Popławska et al., “The drug sensitivity of Helicobacter pylori strains—our own observation,” Pediatria Wspolczesna, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 29–31, 2008.
- B. J. Marshall and J. R. Warren, “Unidentified curved bacilli in the stomach of patients with gastritis and peptic ulceration,” The Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8390, pp. 1311–1314, 1984.
- W. D. Chey and B. C. Y. Wong, “American College of Gastroenterology guideline on the management of Helicobacter pylori infection,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 8, pp. 1808–1825, 2007.
- P. Malfertheiner, F. Megraud, C. O'Morain et al., “Current concepts in the management of Helicobacter pylori infection: the Maastricht III consensus report,” Gut, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 772–781, 2007.
- J. Dzieniszewski, M. Jarosz, W. Bartnik et al., “Consensus of the Polish Society of Gastroenterology Helicobacter pylori Working Group on diagnostic and therapeutic approaches for the Helicobacter pylori infection,” Gastroenterologia Polska, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 323–331, 2008.
- A. O'Connor, J. P. Gisbert, D. McNamara, and C. O'Morain, “Treatment of Helicobacter pylori Infection 2010,” Helicobacter, vol. 16, supplement 1, pp. 53–58, 2011.
- W. Ziemniak, “Efficacy of Helicobacter pylori eradication taking into account its resistance to antibiotics,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 123–141, 2006.
- T. Lind, S. V. van Zanten, P. Unge et al., “Eradication of Helicobacter pylori using one-week triple therapies combining omeprazole with two antimicrobials: the MACH I study,” Helicobacter, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 138–144, 1996.
- P. P. Basu, K. Rayapudi, T. Pacana, N. J. Shah, N. Krishnaswamy, and M. Flynn, “A Randomized study comparing levofloxacin, omeprazole, nitazoxanide and doxycycline versus triple therapy for the eradication of Helicobacter pylori,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 106, no. 11, pp. 1970–1975, 2011.
- J. Molina-Infante, B. Perez-Gallardo, M. Fernandez-Bermejo et al., “Clinical trial: clarithromycin vs. levofloxacin in first-line triple and sequential regimens for Helicobacter pylori eradication,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1077–1084, 2010.
- E. Karczewska, I. Wojtas, and A. Budak, “Występowanie pierwotnej oporności Helicobacter pylori na leki przeciwbakteryjne w Polsce i na świecie,” Postępy Mikrobiologii, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 31–41, 2009.
- E. Karczewska, I. Wojtas-Bonior, E. Sito, M. Zwolińska-Wcisło, and A. Budak, “Primary and secondary clarithromycin, metronidazole, amoxicillin and levofloxacin resistance to Helicobacter pylori in southern Poland,” Pharmacological Reports, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 799–807, 2011.
- A. T. Abadi, T. Taghvaei, A. M. Mobarez, B. M. Carpenter, and D. S. Merrell, “Frequency of antibiotic resistance in Helicobacter pylori strains isolated from the Northern Population of Iran,” The Journal of Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 987–993, 2011.
- V. De Francesco, F. Giorgio, E. Ierardi, et al., “Primary clarithromycin resistance in Helicobacter pylori: the Multicentric Italian Clarithromycin Resistance Observational (MICRO) Study,” Journal of Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 235–239, 2011.
- E. Jaime Natan, F. M. Silva, R. C. Barbuti, T. Navarro-Rodriguez, J. P. Moraes-Filho, and J. Pedrazzoli Jr., “Helicobacter pylori antibiotic resistance in Brazil: clarithromycin is still a good option,” Archives of Gastroenterology, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 261–264, 2011.
- J. Molina-Infante and J. P. Gisbert, “Levofloxacin in first-line eradication regimens for Helicobacter pylori: better test antibiotic susceptibility before treating,” Gut. In press.
- A. Talebi Bezmin Abadi, A. Ghasemzadeh, T. Taghvaei, and A. M. Mobarez, “Primary resistance of Helicobacter pylori to levofloxacin and moxifloxacine in Iran,” Internal and Emergency Medicine. In press.
- P. Malfertheiner, F. Bazzoli, J. C. Delchier et al., “Helicobacter pylori eradication with a capsule containing bismuth subcitrate potassium, metronidazole, and tetracycline given with omeprazole versus clarithromycin-based triple therapy: a randomised, open-label, non-inferiority, phase 3 trial,” The Lancet, vol. 377, no. 9769, pp. 905–913, 2011.
- F. Iwańczak and B. Iwańczak, “Nowe możliwości leczenia zakażenia Helicobacter pylori,” Przegląd Gastroenterologiczny, vol. 6, pp. 364–369, 2011.
- P. Bogaerts, C. Berhin, H. Nizet, and Y. Glupczynski, “Prevalence and mechanisms of resistance to fluoroquinolones in Helicobacter pylori strains from patients living in Belgium,” Helicobacter, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 441–445, 2006.
- F. Mégraud, N. Lehn, T. Lind et al., “Antimicrobial susceptibility testing of Helicobacter pylori in a large multicenter trial: the MACH 2 study,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 2747–2752, 1999.
- F. Mégraud, “H pylori antibiotic resistance: prevalence, importance, and advances in testing,” Gut, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 1374–1384, 2004.
- A. Cuadrado-Lavín, J. R. Salcines-Caviedes, M. F. Carrascosa, et al., “Antimicrobial susceptibility of Helicobacter pylori to six antibiotics currently used in Spain,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 170–173, 2012.
- D. Dzierżanowska, Antybiotykoterapia Praktyczna, chapter 2.1, Alfa Medica Press, Bielsko-Biała, Poland, 2008.
- K. R. Jones, J. H. Cha, and D. S. Merrell, “Who's winning the war? Molecular mechanisms of antibiotic resistance in Helicobacter pylori,” Current Drug Therapy, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 190–203, 2008.
- V. Y. Miendje Deyi, P. Bontems, J. Vanderpas et al., “Multicenter survey of routine determinations of resistance of Helicobacter pylori to antimicrobials over the last 20 years (1990 to 2009) in Belgium,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 2200–2209, 2011.
- J. Cabrita, M. Oleastro, R. Matos et al., “Features and trends in Helicobacter pylori antibiotic resistance in Lisbon area, Portugal (1990–1999),” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 1029–1031, 2000.
- K. H. Hung, B. S. Sheu, W. L. Chang, H. M. Wu, C. C. Liu, and J. J. Wu, “Prevalence of primary fluoroquinolone resistance among clinical isolates of Helicobacter pylori at a University Hospital in Southern Taiwan,” Helicobacter, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 61–65, 2009.
- J.-T. Lin, Successful treatment of Helicobacter pylori infections with levofloxacin: a case report from Taiwan and a review of the literature, 2008, http://www.infectweb.com/only/artsrv2008_4.pdf.
- J. P. Gisbert, M. Castro-Fernández, F. Bermejo et al., “Third-line rescue therapy with levofloxacin after two H. pylori treatment failures,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 243–247, 2006.
- L. Marzio, D. Coraggio, S. Capodicasa, L. Grossi, and G. Cappello, “Role of the preliminary susceptibility testing for initial and after failed therapy of Helicobacter pylori infection with levofloxacin, amoxicillin, and esomeprazole,” Helicobacter, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 237–242, 2006.
- R. Cianci, M. Montalto, F. Pandolfi, G. B. Gasbarrini, and G. Cammarota, “Third-line rescue therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 15, pp. 2313–2319, 2006.
- L. Gatta, A. Zullo, F. Perna et al., “A 10-day levofloxacin-based triple therapy in patients who have failed two eradication courses,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 45–49, 2005.
- M. Castro-Fernández, E. Lamas, A. Pérez-Pastor et al., “Efficacy of triple therapy with a proton pump inhibitor, levofloxacin, and amoxicillin as first-line treatment to eradicate Helicobacter pylori,” Revista Espanola de Enfermedades Digestivas, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 399–402, 2009.
- J. P. Gisbert, A. Pérez-Aisa, M. Castro-Fernández et al., “Helicobacter pylori first-line treatment and rescue option containing levofloxacin in patients allergic to penicillin,” Digestive and Liver Disease, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 287–290, 2010.